Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Water heater won't stay lit

Click,click,click,click, fire. 3 seconds fire goes out. Repeat. Reset, repeat, repeat. Give up! Any tips? Thanks.
__________________

Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,924
Make?
Model?
LP on?
Do other LP appliances work correctly?
New issue or has it never worked?
__________________

__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Make?
Model?
LP on?
Do other LP appliances work correctly?
New issue or has it never worked?
Don't know make, model had to leave for an appointment. Yes to the next two and it's new to us but was told during walk through it worked. Just trying to figure it out before going back to dealer
Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:22 AM   #4
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
When you get a chance, there should be a "Recreational Vehicle Specification Nameplate" somewhere in your rig that will list all the models of all the appliances installed. It'll look something like these:



Images found via Google Search

This will let us know what model of water heater you have. Since you don't have the model number on hand, let's go with some generalized assumptions:

Is the Propane actually firing, or does it just try to light three times? If it's just trying, you might have an issue with the propane flow, either tank not open fully, blockage in the line, etc...

If it's actually lighting, and not staying lit, it might be the flame sensor. It's lighting, but it's not telling the board that it's lighting so the board thinks the propane didn't light and shuts off the gas supply.

Again though, these are just generalized assumptions. What might be true for one of these models doesn't necessarily apply to all models.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
When you get a chance, there should be a "Recreational Vehicle Specification Nameplate" somewhere in your rig that will list all the models of all the appliances installed. It'll look something like these:



Images found via Google Search

This will let us know what model of water heater you have. Since you don't have the model number on hand, let's go with some generalized assumptions:
I've never seen one of these nameplates on either my Roo or Mini Lite. Is it something specific to certain TT makes?
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I've never seen one of these nameplates on either my Roo or Mini Lite. Is it something specific to certain TT makes?
My Flagstaff and the new Surveyor have both had them. They're not obvious, usually buried in a cupboard somewhere based on where I've found them in most rigs.

Edit: forgot to mention, I've seen them in Mini Lites, but I haven't been in a Roo to check it.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:48 AM   #7
Site Team
 
Kaadk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,173
Hmm, actually, I just took a second look at those images and realized they both contain French. I wonder if it's a Canadian thing. Might explain why I've seen them in every rig I've ever gone looking for them in over here.

If they don't exist in the States, then my apologies. Didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase.

Edit: Yep, seems to be a Canadian Standards thing: https://qai.org/z240rv/
Quote:
Recreational Vehicle Specification Nameplate – typically located on the inside of a kitchen cabinet door
Again, sorry for the misinformation.
__________________
There's no use crying over spilt milk... unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Hmm, actually, I just took a second look at those images and realized they both contain French. I wonder if it's a Canadian thing. Might explain why I've seen them in every rig I've ever gone looking for them in over here.

If they don't exist in the States, then my apologies. Didn't mean to send you on a wild goose chase.
If you read Note # (1) in the first picture, it tells you it is a CSA thing.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 139
I've had this same problem. Here's what I did that seems to work well for me.


1) Open your propane tank valve for a few minutes before turning on the water heater. This will ensure there is good flow.
2) If you have more than one propane tank and they are inter-connected, open the valves on both of them a few minutes before turning on the water heater. Unfortunately, this negates the nicety of always knowing that you have at least one full tank but this process has worked for me.
3) Also, once turned on I leave the hot water heater on the entire stay. Doesn't seem to consume much propane as I'd have initially believed.
__________________
Charleston, SC
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ
2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:41 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,403
imo. Has it worked ok before??? You have air in the propane line and it needs to be purged. May take a few more tries before it works. When a unit is not used for a while, the propane bleeds out.


(Our fridge on 12v is the same way.... fires,air, fire, dies... wife says "fridge not working"... she goes away... fires right up)
__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
I've had this same problem. Here's what I did that seems to work well for me.


1) Open your propane tank valve for a few minutes before turning on the water heater. This will ensure there is good flow.
2) If you have more than one propane tank and they are inter-connected, open the valves on both of them a few minutes before turning on the water heater. Unfortunately, this negates the nicety of always knowing that you have at least one full tank but this process has worked for me.
3) Also, once turned on I leave the hot water heater on the entire stay. Doesn't seem to consume much propane as I'd have initially believed.
Caution, slight thread drift...
Once you learn how to read the auto switch-over indicator, the nicety of knowing you have at least one full tank will return.
__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:00 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Caution, slight thread drift...
Once you learn how to read the auto switch-over indicator, the nicety of knowing you have at least one full tank will return.
I'm not aware of such an indicator on mine. Certainly no indicator at the propane tanks themselves.
__________________
Charleston, SC
2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ
2016 Wildwood 27RKSS
seakayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:18 PM   #13
Pickin', Campin', Mason
 
5picker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: South Western PA
Posts: 10,924
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
I'm not aware of such an indicator on mine. Certainly no indicator at the propane tanks themselves.
Most all R/Vs with dual tanks that have auto switch-over valves, have an indicator. (there are some inexpensive ones that don't)

If yours doesn't have an auto switch-over with an indicator, get one.
There are many.



__________________
_________________________________________
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel-Goodyear Endurance Tires
2017 Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4 - Factory Puck B&W Companion
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=53
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #14
Site Team
 
wmtire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Northeast Louisiana
Posts: 21,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by seakayaker View Post
I'm not aware of such an indicator on mine. Certainly no indicator at the propane tanks themselves.
We keep a FAQ on the propane automatic changeover valve and operation of at this FAQ:

Propane automatic changeover regulator
__________________
2011 Flagstaff 831 RLBSS

Words are powerful.
Choose them good.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:10 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 10,328
Back to the OP:

Light your stove for a minute or so. This will a) ensure you have gas from the tanks and b) purge the line of air.
__________________
1988 Coleman Sequoia - popup (1987-2009) - outlasted 3 Dodge Grand Caravans!
2012 Roo19 - hybrid (2012-2015)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:32 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Back to the OP:

Light your stove for a minute or so. This will a) ensure you have gas from the tanks and b) purge the line of air.
Did that, and the furnace
Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:35 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Most all R/Vs with dual tanks that have auto switch-over valves, have an indicator. (there are some inexpensive ones that don't)

If yours doesn't have an auto switch-over with an indicator, get one.
There are many.



This is a 2010 Sandpiper FW but no auto switch over
__________________

Allisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.


×