Old 03-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

water heater won't work on propane

My 2013 Grey Wolff 19RR has always used the electric water heater element since I bought it.I never checked the operation on propane while it was under warranty..assuming..of course.
Well I decided to check it prior to our hurricane season down here in Lower Alabama, and I can't get any response out of it whatsoever..no clicking of the igniter... no nothing when I turn on the switch marked HTR on the control panel.
The unit has gas going to it..at least there is gas to the stove and refrigerator. Consulted the owner's manual and pressed the reset button on the right side ..it didnt say press and hold..nothing..
Am I doing something wrong..is there a fuse or breaker that might be tripped and why.? Owners manual sez that the process might have to be done multiple times to purge air..how many?
Hints or tips gratefully acknowledge before I call a repairman.

Old 03-27-2016, 03:30 PM   #2

Is the water hot from the electric heater? If the water is already hot the gas side will not light.

caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:44 PM   #3

Caper is correct. Once you run out some of the hot water you should here the auto igniter click, it may take 2 or 3 cycles to get gas to the burner. I am not familiar with your main switch panel your water heater switch may light up red or their may be a small red light near the switch. If the water heater faults and does not light with in the allowed time the switch or red light will come on. You will need to turn it off wait 15 seconds and turn it back on for it to cycle again. If it does not light after 5 cycles I would suspect a problem.

Newer units have a standard 110 volt cord to a receptacle. You could unplug this to make sure the water heater tries to fire on propane.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:49 PM   #4

thank you for the replies

I will try your advice tomorrow..it has been raining cats n dogs down here on the redneck riviera. The water heater will have been off for 24 hours so it should work
Old 03-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Boots49
If you have not used the propane to heat the water I would check n& see if you may have spiders or something in the pipes. Good luck.

Al & Susanne
Aka: Puss 'n Boots
Wildcat 31 TS - Silverado 2500 DuraMax Diesel
Tip of the Day: Stay safe, have fun and never leave the cat out in the rain!
Boots49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #6

Electric heating element only needs AC. Need 12V DC plus propane for gas heating. Does your stove/oven work on propane? Turn off propane tank and then back on SLOWLY.
Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Electric heating element only needs AC. Need 12V DC plus propane for gas heating. Does your stove/oven work on propane? Turn off propane tank and then back on SLOWLY.

You first statement is false.
It needs a/c and d/c
For the heating element you need 110v for the heating element and 12v for the circuit control board.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobHanke View Post
Electric heating element only needs AC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
For the heating element you need 110v for the heating element and 12v for the circuit control board.
These statements could be true or false depending on which model Suburban the OP has.

1.If he has the model (ex SW6DE), with only an outside switch to turn on the electric element, then there should be no need for DC.

2.If the OP has a Suburban model (ex SW6DEL) that also has an inside switch for the electric element, then this switch is 12 volt powered too, and goes into a relay that turns on the 120 volt for the heating element.

#1 from Bob Hanke seems to be the more common Suburban water heater in the Forest River products and where I would lean towards unless told different...... but there are also #2's which Turbs currently has (as I personally know he has the inside switch for his electric element in addition to his DSI switch).

So without knowing for sure, it could be either/or.

The wiring schematic for #1 can be found here:

Suburban's electric switch and much more

and the wiring schematic for #2 can be found here that shows the 12 volt wiring before the relay, and the 120 volt wiring after the relay:

2015 Stealth 2313 water heater problem

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:18 PM   #9

Does the unit have 2 black rubberized reset buttons on it? If so, press them in firmly. Helped a fellow camper out with the same issue. As soon as he reset, the ignition stared and he had flame.

Tags
heater, propane, water, water heater