Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2014, 01:02 AM   #1

Water heater worry

We recently purchased a 2006 Silverback that has been sitting for a number of years in the previous owners driveway. We have taken it out three times and while nothing too major has occurred we have come home each time with a list of small repairs as to be expected. In addition i have been working through all the recommended maintenance items i read about on this forum (Thanks for the great education) Today I decided to clean out the HW heater and put in a new anode rod. Glad I did. The old one was non existent. Worn down to the thin wire. My question is do I need to worry about any possible damage to the unit while the non existent rod was not there to do it's job. Is there anything I should be watching for? The unit works well giving us good hot water on both electric and gas. I just worry there could be another problem I could avoid with a little more preventative maintenance.

Thanks for your help and sharing your knowledge.
Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:33 AM   #2

Nothing I can think of. Sounds like you're right on track! A yearly drain and flush... check your anode and vents... You should be golden. ~ Cheers
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

The purpose of the anode rod is to attract chemicals to it rather than the tank. Sometimes you'll hear the phrase, a sacrificial rod. May be nothing wrong however I would drain the tank and inspect using an inspection camera for pitting inside the tank.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

TV - 2013 Silverado 1500, 5.3L
TT - 2012 Wildwood 26 TBSS
mduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:05 AM   #4

You will know when it won't hold water due to a crack or whole. I wouldn't worry about it, It would take longer then that to happen. You have to remember it was in and did it's job, most rods will last 2 to 3 years depending on the hardness of the water. Get a new rod after cleaning. If you rinse it out and see flakes of rust coming out then you could worry. Not the normal white crud but RUST.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

I did the same thing to my water heater a few weeks ago. Bought my trailer last May and just now decided to check it. Anode rod was just like yours, non existent. I just flushed it out good and replaced the anode rod. Works perfectly now, better than ever, and no leaks. A LOT of white flakes came out but no rusty junk. You should be fine.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 04:19 PM   #6

Thanks everyone. I will keep an eye on it but feel much better knowing everything should be fine.
Wingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater