Old 05-18-2013, 04:37 PM   #1

Water hose repair kits- are they potable?

I use two 25' potable water hoses to connect to the CG. Wile I was removing the insulation and heat tapes today I noticed the male fitting is leaking on the first hose. It isn't leaking from the gasket which is plenty pliable and seals good, it's leaking from the compression joint behind the threads. Could be from the winter, could be from overtightening. In either case I need to stop it.

I'm considering a new brass male thread connector instead of buying a whole new hose. My only concern is if the brass fittings at wal-mart or home depot are for potable water. I'm assuming they are since they're made of brass but I want to be sure. Does anyone know? I can't seem to find a true answer anywhere.

In case you ask, yes I do use a pressure regulator because the park we're in has HIGH pressure. I know this because at the CG spout I have a potable lead free "Y" with the regulator for the RV side and a garden hose attached to the other side without a regulator. Last summer I left the supply on for the garden hose one night and the next day the hose had stretched and swollen to near double its normal size and was ready to split. It wasn't a cheap hose either, all the hoses I use are heavy duty because I want them to last.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Wouldn't worry about it, do you think all the plumbing of the cg fw system is certified potable? Look at the hose bib that supplies your water, etc.

Old 05-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #3

That's a very good point. My main concern was lead though. I'm not scared of drinking from a regular water hose but the DW is pretty sensitive with a rare medical condition. Don't want to add to the complications.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrader View Post
That's a very good point. My main concern was lead though. I'm not scared of drinking from a regular water hose but the DW is pretty sensitive with a rare medical condition. Don't want to add to the complications.
Would use the brass or pvc unions then.
Old 05-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #5

The repair kits hold up to at least 100psi. I found that out during the last trip. The connectors leaked a tad, but i re-tightened them and all was good.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:14 PM   #6

Sounds like you looked the packaging over, but I would go the extra mile to ensure it is lead free.

http://www.sharkbiteplumbing.com/sharkbite

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:31 PM   #7

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/cata...viceOverride=W

HD carries a lot of sharkbite stuff as well! The HD site also says they are safe to use with potable systems.

2014 Rockwood Roo 233s, PI HW30-C, Equalizer 10k 4 way hitch,
Grizzlygibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:49 PM   #8

Thanks to all for the replies. I like the sharkbite idea but at those prices I might as well buy a new hose lol. I think I found the answer though:

Watts 5/8 in. x 3/4 in. Brass Barb x MGH Bushing-A-491 at The Home Depot

I did some digging on Watts' website and the 225 series falls under their Lead Free line.