Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2014, 09:02 PM   #1

Water leak behind wall

We have a Rockwood 8312 ultra light. We heard a water spray behind the wall in the bathroom. The leak appears to be in the water line to the toilet. The leak occurred as we turned water on. The trailer is set up at the deer camp and I hate to bring it in for warranty work. Anyone have any experience with this? It looks like something I can handle, but not real familiar with the water lines. I have limited access to the suspected water line via the outdoor kitchen. I removed a storage drawer and I can see some of the water lines. This line appears to be flexible hose connected to Pex plumbing. What's the best way to handle this short of taking it back to the dealer?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
jimex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Is it leaking where the flexible braided tubing connects to the pex?

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #3

No, it is leaking further inside the enclosure. I can't see the leak. I do see evidence though. There is water droplets on top of the hose, which appears to be spray. It is a fairly healthy leak. I see water under the wall and even back at the small closet where the pump and filter are housed. I don't believe there is anything else in the area other than this flexible tube that goes to the toilet. There may be more Pex in the area, but I can't see it. I don't have a clear idea of how the plumbing is routed. The flexible tubing would not be too difficult to replace if I use two couplings. I could cut the hose leaving enough material to install a coupling. Pull the tubing out, find the damaged area and repair. Then slip it back in place and couple up.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #4

My biggest question is, why did the leak occur to start with. Haven't had a problem until I drained the system for cold weather and decided to use again. I disconnected the flex tube from the toilet flush valve to drain the flush valve. This was all reconnected prior to restart. I also removed the filter element. We decided to leave it out until next spring when we start camping again. All that is tight and leak free.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #5

It would be unusual for either type of tubing to leak except at a fitting connection but it is possible. Maybe it is the connection at the toilet. You'll probably have to take things apart until you find the source. I know it won't help you now, but it is worth carrying a small selection of fittings and clamps for just such an occasion.

Aviator Wright-Flyer#1908
1996 Holiday Rambler
2012 Ram 2500HD CTD
KenHwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:31 PM   #6

Yeah, I'm getting that idea also. Thanks for the feedback.

Old 12-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimex View Post
My biggest question is, why did the leak occur to start with. Haven't had a problem until I drained the system for cold weather and decided to use again. I disconnected the flex tube from the toilet flush valve to drain the flush valve. This was all reconnected prior to restart. I also removed the filter element. We decided to leave it out until next spring when we start camping again. All that is tight and leak free.

You don't state where you live,but has it been (Below Freezing)? Did you use Anti-freeze? Just guessing! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
WFD

That braided tubing is crap and for the life of me I can't understand why these manufacturers use it. They are made of an inner and outer jacket. If water finds a way between the jackets, just normal pressure will cause the outer jacket to develop a bulge and leak. Often when you apply a coupling to them they don't seal well enough and will result in water getting between the two jackets. Someone once posted in here that after a winter their inner jacket collapsed and when they pressurized the next season they had a leak. Mine leaked and after a few failed attempts to repair it, I pulled it out and replaced with proper pex and called it a day...this was after a recommendation by a mobile rv repair guy who told me he doesnt even waste his time anymore repairing that crap tubing..he said he got too many calls a few days after a repair where a leak re-appeared, so he now does exactly what he instructed me to do.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:26 AM   #9

WFD - thanks for the replies. I guess they use the flex hose so it can be manipulated more easily, but if it's a problem....
I live in east Texas. We don't get hard winters here, but it can get cold enough to bust pipes. I don't plan on using the antifreeze at all. I use the trailer enough during the winter off and on so that I plan on draining all the water.
Question - I see references to blowing water with compressed air. Is there a reason that draining won't be effective freeze protection?

Old 12-09-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Team

Draining via low points will get the bulk of the water out of the system, BUT if you have a low point ( dip) in the lines water will accumulate in the low point and not drain via the low point. Using compressed air ( be careful to keep pressure at working levels) it will force the water out of the dips and low points. If you have freezing temps, you need to blow the lines or use antifreeze or for most protection do both. The cost and effort of winterizing is much less than the cost and effort of repairing a leak and associated damage.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
...I disconnected the flex tube from the toilet flush valve to drain the flush valve. This was all reconnected prior to restart. I also removed the filter element. We decided to leave it out until next spring when we start camping again. All that is tight and leak free.
I would suspect you did not get the flex tube threaded correctly when you re-connected it or it's not tight.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:50 AM   #12

Old coot - the leak is behind the wall. Not at the fitting.

Old 12-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #13

Found the leak. A pinhole leak caused by a staple. The staple came out of the flexible tubing hose when I drained the toilet hose and valve. I used a coupling. A pretty easy fix. I started to use Pex, but I would have had to change out multiple fittings to switch over and the work area was very tight, so I found a coupling that seems to work just fine. Thanks for all the feedback.

Old 12-09-2014, 09:00 PM   #14
WFD

Quote:
Found the leak. A pinhole leak caused by a staple. The staple came out of the flexible tubing hose when I drained the toilet hose and valve. I used a coupling. A pretty easy fix. I started to use Pex, but I would have had to change out multiple fittings to switch over and the work area was very tight, so I found a coupling that seems to work just fine. Thanks for all the feedback.

Just keep a close eye on it for a few days...I thought I had mine licked too, then after a couple days the bulge in the outer jacket happened and it started leaking again....hope that won't be the case for you but just keep an eye on it to make sure.

Tags
leak, water, water leak