Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 PM   #1

Water leak, floor ruined

Upon returning from a weekend trip this July I noticed the linoleum in the front storage area of our 2014 Rockwood 2306 was buckled. Upon further inspection I discovered an area aprox. 3x6 of the floor was completely saturated. After some investigating I found the source of water. The brass pex fittings on the back of the water heater were leaking at the threads. I pulled the fittings, applied new pipe dope and reinstalled. They still leaked. After cleaning and inspecting I noticed the threads on the fittings were damaged. I purchased and installed new fittings and the leak was solved.

In the mean time my insurance co. came out to write an estimate. They ended up totaling the trailer. We bought it back for salvage and will use it for the rest of the season and most likely sell it.

Has anyone heard of this happening to anyone else? It's extremely disappointing to have our new camper totaled because of a couple of $2 fittings!

Any input/info would be appreciated!
Jells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:03 PM   #2

Water can wreak havoc on a trailer. Do you mind me asking, which insurance company do you have?

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Jones View Post
Water can wreak havoc on a trailer. Do you mind me asking, which insurance company do you have?

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
I have Arbella
Old 09-03-2015, 07:21 PM   #4

This one of the reason I often will do a quick look around the trailer when we are out, in hopes to catch water issues before they become major problems when the trailer is hook up and has water pressure.

The water heater connections are ones that I have caught leaking myself too, the only difference was the plastic PEX connectors threaded on the brass fittings had hairline cracks form. I was lucky in that the linoleum extended under the water heater and the leak ran out from under the cabinet instead of towards the wall.

A certain brand of RV toilets seemed to have had issues with the plastic inlet connection forming cracks and leaking (google search it)... I've now seen two, one was mine in the middle of the night (I'm a lite sleeper) ... which I have figured out a rework/modification that makes it better than factory cheap connection.

The plastic riser connections to the facets is another area to watch, as these seem to either come loose or crack ... I've replaced all my with new ones from Home Depot, including those to the outside shower facet set.

If your leaving your trailer for extended periods, I simply shut off the water to ours to ensure that if a water leak was to happen, we have a better chance of catching it before too much damage occurs. We started this after we watch gallons of water pour out of a very beautiful large 5th wheel unit when something let go (toilet I believe) and filled the unit up while their were out for the entire day.

Proper winterization goes a long way in preventing some water leak issues, as freezing water can damage a lot of things, including threaded connections.

Things will happen and go wrong, its just a matter of catching them before they cause serious damage ... think of it like preventive maintenance inspections.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

I have owned several campers and have always done similar checks with the water connections. This one eluded me because the water was dripping directly into the styrofoam insulation around the water heater and running out very close to the wall. The water then ran along the wall and got under the linoleum. I'll be extra vigilant from now on.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #6

Always makes me nervous when I 'power up' my TT and the water pump rattles for a second or two. I leave it on and check for drips. So far I've not seen any and chauk it up to expansion and contraction.
I had a hose 'blow' off a 'T' fitting and make a mess last winter. Luckily we were aboard and got the city water shut off ASAP.
Good luck with the floor.
RVPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM   #7

Inspection cameras are camper savers. They allow you to go places no man has gone before. Like the guy's that build the camper. I've found 2 leaks I never would have found without it.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jells View Post
I have owned several campers and have always done similar checks with the water connections. This one eluded me because the water was dripping directly into the styrofoam insulation around the water heater and running out very close to the wall. The water then ran along the wall and got under the linoleum. I'll be extra vigilant from now on.
If members would put water in their F/W tank and use the Pump it would tell them if they have a Hidden Leak! When you Only use City water connection these kind of leaks go Undetected! A Pump will let you know,then you can use Air Pressure to locate the Leak,without the Huge Water Mess! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #9

I bought a leak detector alarm by Bunker Hill at Harbor Freight. I locate it on the floor near the filter and the water heater. Can't find it any more at HF. Comparable units are available on Amazon.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
If members would put water in their F/W tank and use the Pump it would tell them if they have a Hidden Leak! When you Only use City water connection these kind of leaks go Undetected! A Pump will let you know,then you can use Air Pressure to locate the Leak,without the Huge Water Mess! Youroo!!
True, but ours is so quiet you don't hear it 90% of the time.
If someone would invent a device that catches a water issue before it becomes a major problem they could make a fortune.
Wait a minute, here is an idea - 1 under the sink, 1 under the shower, 1 where the next leak will spring - it's a start.
http://www.amazon.ca/Basement-Preval...s=water+sensor
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwoodjoe View Post
I bought a leak detector alarm by Bunker Hill at Harbor Freight. I locate it on the floor near the filter and the water heater. Can't find it any more at HF. Comparable units are available on Amazon.
Did you just beat me by 10 minutes ?
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #12

Good luck with Placement of all those Alarms in a RV! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:35 PM   #13

Another problem area is the slide out floor. If the end grain of the slideout floors aren't protected, water running down the sides of the slideout can wick into the floor and cause serious, expensive to repair damage. Check the bottom of your slideouts, where the laminate ends. If the end grain of the floor is exposed, seal it, to prevent damage.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #14

With so many issues with these RV's, I wonder if we should warn our friends to not buy an RV. Besides too many rvs lessen our chance to find those coveted campsites.
Rockwoodjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:47 AM   #15

Water is probably the #1 killer of MHs. The cheep materials that MH builders use does not fare well when they get wet. Then left unattended, over a short period of time, a very nice MH can be turned into junk.

If you have water leaks, find them and deal with them immediately, do not put it off till next spring or whatever.

Here are three examples of damage and repair I've delt with on MHs I've bought used. One nice thing about water damage (if there is a nice thing) It lowers the price of a MH significantly if your able to diagnose the water damage. and you can get some very nice MHs if you can repair the damage

Repairing Delamination and water damage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Repair interior wall de-lamination damage | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Cabover Rot Repair - Improvement and Do-It-Yourself Projects you have done to Share! - Toyota Motorhome Discussion Board

Old 10-03-2015, 07:16 PM   #16

Just had a major water leak experience. Was sitting at te dining room table around 9:00 PM when we heard a load pop/boom and then a continuing whoosh! thought it was the outside water hose blowing up so I ran out and saw a WALL of water pouring out the the bottom of the trailer! shut off the water and inspected the inside. Found that the incoming poly hose had blown off the PVC fitting. FR had used acrimp clamp instead of a screw type water clamp. Replaced that one and the other one on the other end. We now make it procedure to shut off the water when we leave the TT. We can only imagine what a mess we would have had if this had happened earlier in the day while we were away.
glfillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 11:44 AM   #17

Guys check this out. Simple, cheap and works REALLY WELL.
found it at local plumbing supplier few days ago. floodbuzzpro.com
Kuba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, water, water leak