Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2017, 01:35 AM   #1

Water leaking from behind furnace

Hello,

So I need help!!! We are currently in Washington State in our Class C 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26rs. It has been cold and raining a lot. The other day I went to grab something from under the couch and everything was wet. Yesterday I removed the couch to see that the water was coming from behind the cabinets where the furnace is located. I clean up the water and a few hours later another stream appears.

I heard from and buddy that because we are in a wet climate and it’s been cold that condensation is probably gathering around the furnace. We have been using the furnace and he said that moisture will build up there because it’s warm. I am just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this because I am worried I have a leak somewhere.

Thanks for your time!
Old 12-29-2017, 05:08 AM   #2
Road Trippin

Try turning okkn your water pump and not running any water. If the pump continues to cycle then you may have air in the lines or a leak. If it doesn't cycle then it pressurised and it is probably condensation. Try leaving one of your roof vents or windows cracked to allow moisture to escape.
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:11 AM   #3
Road Trippin

* meant to type "on" not "okkn"...i have fat thumbs. Lol
pismolocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesejamey View Post
Hello,

So I need help!!! We are currently in Washington State in our Class C 2017 Coachmen Freelander 26rs. It has been cold and raining a lot. The other day I went to grab something from under the couch and everything was wet. Yesterday I removed the couch to see that the water was coming from behind the cabinets where the furnace is located. I clean up the water and a few hours later another stream appears.

I heard from and buddy that because we are in a wet climate and it’s been cold that condensation is probably gathering around the furnace. We have been using the furnace and he said that moisture will build up there because it’s warm. I am just wondering if anyone else has any experience with this because I am worried I have a leak somewhere.

Thanks for your time!

If it’s a 2017 why not let the Stealership look at it under warranty ?? Water leaks in a RV is your worst enemy !
Decon Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

There is no doubt condensation can cause 'wet' issues inside, especially if you are showering, cooking and just breathing without opening a vent for moisture to escape.

With that said, usually these types of moisture issues are throughout the unit and not concentrated to one single spot (under the couch in your case) and when you say 'stream' of water... that is suspicious too.

I think you may have something else going on.
An exterior leak of some sort.
Maybe the caulking around the outer furnace vent is leaking and running inside?
Is there a window higher up the wall near that area?
It could be leaking too.
It could even be coming from the roof and running down.
Water often wicks from places way far away from where you see it.

Best of luck and let us know what you find.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:24 PM   #6

I have a 2014 Class C and had the same problem this past summer. I had a friend look at it and he found water coming in from the back of the water hookup. The exterior water hose had a crack in the brass fitting. Hope you find the cause of your water issue.

Kathy
Kattwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #7
Always Learning

What you're describing sounds excessive for condensation.

I'd want to get eyes on the plumbing in that area. Maybe even wrap different spots with toilet paper to see if you can start to isolate the source.

I certainly wouldn't ignore it.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:21 PM   #8

Had a friend come over and we dismantled part of the cabinetry to get somewhat of a better look at it although we couldn’t see everything. He felt that it was coming from the exterior water heater housing. We put some sealant around it and will go from there. We did find that it was coming from behind water heater though.

If this doesn’t work we will dig deeper. This is a 2017 unit but we bought it used therefore only have an extended warranty so trying to save alil money but if need be I will take it in.

Thanks for everyone’s help!!
Old 12-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Leaks where the water heater meets the side of the camper are reported here at times so it certainly could be the cause. The correct method to seal would be to loosen the water heater, pull it out slightly and clean and reseal.

Another possibility is the water heater has an internal leak. Possibly a pinhole, poor weld or even from someone leaving water in it during a freeze and it swelled and broke.

If the water heater is leaking internally and you have bypass valves, you could always bypass it (basically take it out of the plumbing system) until you can get it repaired. You'd have no hot water but you won't be causing structural issues from a persistent water leak.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #10

I have read about Furnace water leaks due to the furnace's outside exhaust vent angled downward into the furnace/travel trailer.

Google: water leak in rv furnace exhaust vent
2011 Starcraft 392BHUw/Andersen No-Sway

chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace, leak, water, water leak