Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 01:32 PM   #1
Aggie Triplet Dad

Water leaking from drain hose

I just noticed this water leaking from the bottom of my camper last time I was out (under where the fresh water tank and water heater are). On a two night trip it didn't start until the last day but it kept up like this for a while and started sometime at night. Does anyone know what this may be? The water can be seen coming out of the hose without the valve on it. Thanks.

2014 Forest River Wildwood 26TBSS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drain leak.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	258.8 KB
ID:	108449  
kfcherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:40 PM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

I see nothing in your post that tells us what kind of rig you have so we are guessing.
My guess is the hose without the valve is the overflow for your fresh water tank and the other hose is the drain for the fresh water tank.

As to why water is coming out the overflow...
The most common cause is the check valve in the on board pump (to keep water from filling the fresh water tank while connected to city water) has been compromised with debris.

Often when connected to city water, if someone happens to cycle the 12v pump, a piece of debris can stick in the built-in check valve and the city water will fill the fresh tank.

Turn off city water and crack a faucet to relieve pressure.
Turn on 12v pump and crack a faucet several times to cycle the pump and turn 12v pump back off and see if problem goes away once city water is turned back on.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 02:04 PM   #3
Aggie Triplet Dad

I just updated my post with a little more information. I know I had the pump on before I hooked it up to city water and may have forgotten to turn the pump off after I hooked up. Could that cause the issue?
Old 05-20-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Generally speaking, drains have caps or valves on them. Open lines are simply overflow. Is your refrigerator near there? The open line may be for draining condensate.
That is a pretty goodly stream coming out. I'd disconnect from the city water supply and open a faucet to see if it stops. If it does, you've found your culprit as described by 5picker.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Aggie Triplet Dad

Yes, the fridge is above that but I opened the fridge and didn't notice any condensate. It wasn't very hot outside either if that makes a difference.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:43 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfcherry View Post
I just updated my post with a little more information. I know I had the pump on before I hooked it up to city water and may have forgotten to turn the pump off after I hooked up. Could that cause the issue?
Yes, leaving the pump on and connecting to city water could cause the issue. If the city water pressure is equal to or near enough to pump pressure, as the two try to find a balance between each other, it can hold the check valve open enough to back fill the tank.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
Site Team

If you are on public water.
Turn off public water.
Run any faucet until water stops.
Leave faucet open Turn on water pump until a good stream comes out of open faucet.
Turn off water pump.
Shut off faucet.
Turn public water back on.

Some times the check valve in the water pump will not seat properly and allow a small amount of water bypass back into the fresh water tank.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, leak, water, water leak