Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-20-2016, 11:07 PM   #1

Water leaking under camper AND coming up through floor :-(

We have a 2010 Sunseeker 3120 Class C. Bought it used in 2013 and this is our 4th camping season. I always winterize with antifreeze and am very careful to make sure I get that stuff everywhere!

This weekend, we are FINALLY on our first of the season shakedown, after a tree fell on our RV back in April (all repairs were done). Last weekend, we slept out in the driveway with the kids, and I had to turn the pump off because it kept burping. I figured it was my leaky outdoor shower, although subsequent checks of it and every other area of obvious leakage showed nothing.

Tonight, as I was getting ready to shower, I blamed the kids for spilling water at the edge of the rug at the bathroom door. I sopped it up and thought that was the end of it. Well, lo and behold when I got out of the shower and opened the door, the spot is back

I went outside and discovered water leaking from the undercarriage, in an area that's been sealed by that spray-on stuff. It's running down the axle and dripping pretty good. It looks like a line that maybe goes to the kitchen sink, but I can't tell.

Anyone had this happen, where there's a leak you see outside your rig that bubbles up inside? The city water is off tonight and we will probably be cutting our trip short. I only hope we can get it fixed before our big trek down south in July. The little trips in between we can cancel (begrudgingly!). I wonder if it's fresh water or gray - I don't want to put dye in it, as it is coming up through the floor.
Lynlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #2
Insert witty title here

Water leaking under camper AND coming up through floor :-(

Either you or a repair shop needs to get in there, open it up and look.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 07:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfromma View Post
Either you or a repair shop needs to get in there, open it up and look.
I'm trying to assess whether it would be better to rip up the carpet and get to it that way, or go in from underneath. Struts and stuff are in the way down there. Either way, it's a big job. Going to call my warranty company and see if they will cover a mobile repair tech.

I'd love to take it back to where they repaired the tree damage, but I don't know that my warranty will pay them directly and they will only take CASH on warranty and insurance payments. Also going to give them a call today.
Old 05-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Professional Curmudgeon

Since the carpet is wet you'r going to have to lift it anyway. I'd start there and follow the trail back to the source.
I expect the water underneath is simply draining through the seams of the flooring.
Good luck!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 08:24 AM   #5

Since we are under warranty, I called the dealer where we bought it (where there is a reduced deductible). They can't get us in until June 7 (surprisingly early!) - so I called our more local folks who did the awesome repair on the roof, and they are getting us in on Tuesday night! Heck, we might get it back in time for Memorial Day weekend! Keeping my fingers crossed.

I think I'm ready for a new one...too bad depreciation is so horrible. Well, at least one "new to me." We have outgrown this one anyway
Old 05-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #6

Similar Leak

We were traveling and had a similar leak develop except ours was all underneath. A water line coupling between the kitchen and bathroom had started leaking. To finish the trip, we filled the fresh water tank and ran off of the pump when we needed water. The pump pressure is lower and it only leaked when the pump was on. Kind of like "Green Acres", but we finished the trip without real damage to anything.
JPSPete20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSPete20 View Post
We were traveling and had a similar leak develop except ours was all underneath. A water line coupling between the kitchen and bathroom had started leaking. To finish the trip, we filled the fresh water tank and ran off of the pump when we needed water. The pump pressure is lower and it only leaked when the pump was on. Kind of like "Green Acres", but we finished the trip without real damage to anything.
Pete, that's exactly what we are doing. About to go put a little more water in the fresh tank to get us through tonight. Kids are thrilled they don't have to shower lol.
Old 05-27-2016, 11:28 PM   #8

Update!

Our friends at Harold's RV were able to get us in this past Tuesday, and we picked it up last night (they are WONDERFUL!). Turns out the flange under the toilet was broken - so that was some icky water coming up. No damage to the floor - I have cleaned the carpet well and will do so a couple more times. Probably something I could've fixed and would've if we hadn't gotten in so fast!

I spent some time out there cleaning up tonight, and didn't hear the pump burp at all. I'll hook up to city water this weekend and make sure we are still good.

With my warranty, the total to fix was under $150. Super impressed with the techs and people at this local RV center. They kept me apprised all the way.

Thanks to you all for your replies!
Old 05-27-2016, 11:56 PM   #9
Professional Curmudgeon

Thanks for the follow-up, and very glad it worked out so well for you!
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #10

Ugh not fixed!!!

Found out once we arrived at our designation Saturday. Luckily it was the driveway of my sister's house, so not that big of an impact.

Waiting for dealer to call me back to see when we can get back in. So nervous for our big trip 8 hours away in a few weeks. Needs to be fixed for sure before then!!!

Tags
camper, leak, water, water leak