Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #1

Water Leaks...Duhhhh

After having owned my SV291 for 19 months I discovered that one must check the fittings on all water connections. This bit of late found info comes to me after a recent camping expedition where I found a leak under the bathroom sink. We had very cold December and January here in Georgia, in the mid teens for several days, and the cold weather seems to want to loosen up the fittings, just enough to cause a drip or three. Long story short, if you have a new camper, rv, etc... check those fittings and tighten them up. Expansion and contraction plays heck (can't say "hell") on the fittings for some odd reason.
2001 Z-71
One great 16 yr old son
Great wife
Two dogs, Ziggy and Zaggy
Bill U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:56 PM   #2

I learned from my dad's first trailer many years ago to go through and check the fittings to be sure they are tight. Just another thing you need to check, even after you have been on the road a while. They can still loosen during travel.

Hokiehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:07 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill U View Post
After having owned my SV291 for 19 months I discovered that one must check the fittings on all water connections. This bit of late found info comes to me after a recent camping expedition where I found a leak under the bathroom sink. We had very cold December and January here in Georgia, in the mid teens for several days, and the cold weather seems to want to loosen up the fittings, just enough to cause a drip or three. Long story short, if you have a new camper, rv, etc... check those fittings and tighten them up. Expansion and contraction plays heck (can't say "hell") on the fittings for some odd reason.
This is something I do out of habit once or twice a year. Drain and water fittings do tend to loosen from all the bouncing going down the road. I always reach under the sinks and make sure the fittings are tight. Usually they are but it's a good practice to get into.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #4

make sure you check around your water heater also (personal experience). You might want to check your fresh water line. fill the tank until the water starts to come out of the fill line and look at the line inside the trailer above the tank. My trailer is about as old as yours and there was another fellow that had leaks from this line also. They appear to be small pinhole leaks... hope this helps.

shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote