Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2012, 02:23 PM   #1
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Water Pressure

Woke up this morning with a toilet bowl full and the blackwater tanks full too. I do believe the town my son lives in (were visiting) jacked thier water pressure up in lieu of fire hydrant flushing. Is it poss the water pressure over came spring valve compression to fill the bowl? After clean up and dumping I installed a pressure reducer to 40psi max. Is this worth noting, and if so what else could it have been? Its doesn't seem to be filling now. Does the foot flush lever stick? By its self.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Not sure where you are connected, but most towns have 90 psi or better on their feed lines. Then there should be a pressure reducer/regulator on the house, to drop this to 40 psi. Much over 50~60 psi would cause things in the camper to leak. Now, the strange part, you mention toilet full and so was the black tank. My bowl will fill and run over, unless the slide at the bottom is opened enough to let water pass to the black tank. Almost sounds like the pedal stuck, keeping the water feed going, and allowing the toilet to dump in the black tank, rather than overfill and run on the floor.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

I agree. This is a head scratcher all right.

The toilet seal should have prevented a leaking toilet from filling the black tank.

Was the toilet "running" when you got up?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:10 PM   #4
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Didn't notice in the mad scram at O-dark thirty that flooding was occuring and I didn't want to go down with the sinking ship. Is thier anything that I can do to prevent a re-occurance?
Old 08-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

After you brush your teeth, and make your last flush, go out and turn the spigot off, and sleep peacefully. Could also put a few gallons in the fresh water tank, and if you needed water at night, just turn the pump on for your needs, then turn it back off.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:20 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by donanddona View Post
Didn't notice in the mad scram at O-dark thirty that flooding was occuring and I didn't want to go down with the sinking ship. Is thier anything that I can do to prevent a re-occurance?
Could it be possible that someone used it that night and the control rod broke (or became disconnected) and the sleepy person failed to notice that the valve did not shut off/close?

Someone unfamiliar with RV (or marine) toilets might not equate running water after using the "facility" with a "BIG PROBLEM" and went back to bed.

NOW, of course, deny/deflect would be the order of the day for the guilty party.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:18 PM   #7

We've had an issue with our 2011 Rockwood 8314BSS TT in which the toilet will occasionally run and fill the bowl. I am using a regulator and keep the pressure to < 40 psi. The only way to stop it from running when it does start doing this is to turn off the water, open the low point drain, let the system drain, turn on the water and let it run for a minute or so then turn it off, replace the cap on the low point drain, and check to make sure the toilet is working normally. It almost seems to me we develop some sort of air lock that prevents the flush valve from turning off. And yes, we have gotten in the habit of putting our foot under the lever after flushing and pulling up, then watching to make sure the inflow stops. Any ideas? Thanks!
Rancho RS9000XL's and Firestone airbags
Pullrite Superglide 18k hitch
alphadog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:59 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog99 View Post
We've had an issue with our 2011 Rockwood 8314BSS TT in which the toilet will occasionally run and fill the bowl. I am using a regulator and keep the pressure to < 40 psi. The only way to stop it from running when it does start doing this is to turn off the water, open the low point drain, let the system drain, turn on the water and let it run for a minute or so then turn it off, replace the cap on the low point drain, and check to make sure the toilet is working normally. It almost seems to me we develop some sort of air lock that prevents the flush valve from turning off. And yes, we have gotten in the habit of putting our foot under the lever after flushing and pulling up, then watching to make sure the inflow stops. Any ideas? Thanks!
While technically a "thread hijack" and should be its own thread, I will answer because it is an easy answer. You most likely have a calcium nodule or piece of anode in your flush valve keeping it from closing properly.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...air-31225.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...c-v-15261.html

These threads should help you get going.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

If for no other reason than peace of mind, go ahead and remove the toilet, buy a water valve replacement kit ($20.00), and install the new valve. The toilet seal should come with the kit. However the bowl ball valve does not and you will have to seperate the bowl to replace it. It took 30 minutes for me to assist my granddaughter. Not hard and I have no problems now.