Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
Camper Less Camping

Water Pressure & Pipe Leaks

Question...

Though we all use a water pressure regulator, is it possible that some campgrounds water pressure coming in is so high that you can cause leaks at fittings on the camper?

I had a very small fitting leak during our last outing, as I hook up the water at our home to verify leak source to do the repair...there's no leak? Trying to figure out where to go from here...we do have a trip planned in a week and I was going to evaluate then and be prepared to catch the leak if it happens.

Any thoughts from those who have experienced this same problem?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #2

I have not had this happen but..... Are you using a good regulator or a cheap one. I use an adjustable one but they cannot be allowed to freeze. (Screws up their guage).
My water pressure at home is not nearly as much as I have seen at some campgrounds ( I'm on a well at home) it is possible that a regulator allows more through than home pressures.
Probably will come back next time you are out......unless you go ahead & replace the fitting....
Good Luck.........maybe someone has some more insite to this......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #3
Camper Less Camping

Oaklevel...I'm using the typical $10 brass water regulator.

As I research the adjustable regulators, I see they come pre-set at 45psi, same as the cheap ones. So...if I had a high water pressure situation at the campground, do you adjust the psi down to prevent plumbing issues?
Do the cheap brass regulators not hold at 45psi as they come set from the factory?

Old 02-07-2013, 09:00 AM   #4

I guess this could start a debate....... but what ever a regulator is set or pre set at is what it should allow max pressure. I have an older preset & my adjustable regulators & have had them set at the same pressures they seem to be different. "Seem" don't know as have no way to know without another guage the system.... Also without a guage being calibrated you don't know how far off they may be. Having said that I like the guage type so I have an idea on what the pressure is. I personally don't trust the other type but that's just me.........

Then I also know campers that don't even use a regulator but that is a whole topic on it own.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Ok ragin cajun---------

Go ahead and part with yo $$$$ and purchase a good regulator that is adjustable with a meter. Once you have the correct regulator, adjust the pressure to 50#, you will be covered at any CG where it is 25#-90#.

I was in the KOA in Forsyth, GA for a Cherry Blossom festival a couple years ago. The pressure at the CG was 95#, supplied by the city to the CG. I was using a cheap regulator at the time. My camper was brand new, the pressure litterly blew the hose out of the camper fitting.

Good luck
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
Oaklevel...I'm using the typical $10 brass water regulator.

As I research the adjustable regulators, I see they come pre-set at 45psi, same as the cheap ones. So...if I had a high water pressure situation at the campground, do you adjust the psi down to prevent plumbing issues?
Do the cheap brass regulators not hold at 45psi as they come set from the factory?
My regulator with the gauge said it is pre-set at 45, but I can adjust it up or down to the psi I desire. I usually set it at 60 for good showers if that much is available. Never any leaking for me at 60. This gauge (about $60) is a good way to do it if you don't want to limit yourself to 45 psi, in my opinion. I've used it for 3 or 4 years with no problems.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Thanks to all for the great insight...gonna order a gauge regulator, cost not a factor, just wanted to confirm why I should purchase one...Thanks!

Old 02-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Graduate Member

Ummm...I'm one of those "without" a regulator - but I can be convinced.

So far I've only seen one story referencing overpressure, and it didn't sound like there was any damage.

I think I'll get the same one the Cajun is, just in case - but does anyone know first hand of cg water pressure that have damaged rv's?
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Oklahoma Proud

My dealers service dept. Said to use a regulator cause too much could hurt the plumbing system-guess they have seen problems from it.

Id rather use it (dealer gave me one with the trailer &I already had one) than be out half the season with my plumbing being redone (warranty probably not cover it either). I know one campground we stayed at- you could almost power wash with the hose the pressure was so strong.
$10 or $1,000s
I guess if someone wants to risk it- best of luck to ya!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
Denver, CO

The biggest difference with the cheap regulators is flow rate, not pressure. Those are two different things. A fixed 45 psi cheapo should never go above 45 psi. Pressure is measured in psi (pounds per square inch) and flow rate in GPM (gallons per minute). The cheapo regulators use an orifice which limits pressure also and the more expensive one's can limit pressure without limiting flow and can also adjust for a little more pressure. Simple explanation, which someone can expand upon. Gauges are nice, if they are accurate.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
I would like to add to the note about----------

Regulators and gages are great, but the gage is not water proof. I alway cover mine with a ziploc bag to keep the rain/water out.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:21 PM   #12

So my question is where do you guys put the regulator at the faucet or right at the trailer?? I have usually put it right at the trailer but was wondering what everyone else does
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #13
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshell56118 View Post
So my question is where do you guys put the regulator at the faucet or right at the trailer?? I have usually put it right at the trailer but was wondering what everyone else does
Faucet every time, this way you don't take a chance in damaging your drinking hose by high pressure.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Oklahoma Proud

I usually do on the faucet and my hose still swells up to about 1 and a half the size when its hot out.
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote