Old 05-22-2013, 10:20 AM   #1

water pressure regulator

Every boat that I have ever owned that had a dockside (city) water hook up had a pressure regulator built in where the hose connects to the boat. The RV industry is way behind on this one. I think that a built in pressure regulator and built in voltage protection should be standard in EVERY RV. The manufactures can just adjust the base price to include the extra cost. I would rather pay extra for that than a built in vacuum cleaner. They can buy them cheaper then we can and it would be a great selling point.

-BC-

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:23 AM   #2
daydreaming about camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeChuck View Post
Every boat that I have ever owned that had a dockside (city) water hook up had a pressure regulator built in where the hose connects to the boat. The RV industry is way behind on this one. I think that a built in pressure regulator and built in voltage protection should be standard in EVERY RV. The manufactures can just adjust the base price to include the extra cost. I would rather pay extra for that than a built in vacuum cleaner. They can buy them cheaper then we can and it would be a great selling point.

-BC-
This is item number 3,462 on my list of things the RV needs to make standard but refuses to do so.

In all seriousness, you are absolutely correct. And I truly believe it will never happen.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Owner/Operator

I have had this SHURflo "built in" water entry regulator on a London Aire 5th wheel that I owned. I had to replace it two times in the six years that I owned that RV, AND, when the diaphragm ruptures the water leaks behind the wall into the inside of the RV.

SHURflo Chrome Pressure Regulated Water Fill - City Water Hookup - Water Inlets - Fresh Water Connection - Plumbing

Also, I found that the flow rate through this regulator to be very low.

I vote for an external regulator of MY choice.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #4

Is high pressure REALLY an issue?

I don't have a regulator on my house...and you can always close the valve some to reduce pressure if you feel it's too high, or fill you tank and run off the pump in your RV.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

High pressure really is an issue for an RV. The plumbing is mostly flexible tubing (hose) and subject to high temperatures (expansion). Closing the faucet will not help regulate pressure, just the flow rate.
I use an inexpensive ($13) high flow regulator at the faucet. Good insurance IMO.

I'm with RodeoGeorge on this one.

2013 Crusader 325RES Touring Edition
2006 Silverado 2500HD LT SW ECSB, 6L LQ4/4L80E 4.10s w/16K Curt slider (not necessary), Air Lift bags & Black Bear Performance tune & CAI

Norm & Karen Zondervan
zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #6
Campfire Master

I made up a pressure gauge that I hook up to the campground supply when we arrive. If the camp pressure is 50psi or less, I don't bother with the regulator.
Water pressure regulators are also rated for flow rates. The cheaper ones won't even tell you what the flow rate is. The most expensive ones will most likely have the highest flow rate, along with be adjustable.

John
Old 05-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post

I don't have a regulator on my house...and you can always close the valve some to reduce pressure if you feel it's too high, or fill you tank and run off the pump in your RV.
My house has a pressure regulator in it, put in by the builder because we're close to "the pumps" and toilets were "blowing up" before they started using them. I've seen (but never measured) very high pressure at some campgrounds and you can't know in advance if you'll be visiting one of those.

Also, you cannot reduce the static pressure by closing the valve any amount, unless it's completely OFF.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
Owner/Operator

Quote:

Closing the tap reduces the flow rate, but does not reduce the static (all taps closed) pressure on the RV system. It is the static pressure (which can be VERY high in some campgrounds) that can cause leaks in the system.

And OBTW, most water companies have a regulator built into the water meter that serves your home. Of course if you're on a well, that is not the case but then your pressure regulation comes from your well pump high limit setting.

RodeoGeorge
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:10 AM   #9

teh felxible hoses are pex tubing and it's better than 'hard' lines - few joints, it's flexible so it won't 'crack' from vibration and it's used in houses for years now - it can take whatever pressure you're ever likely to find. More than the hose you use to hook up with I'm sure.

PEX Pressure Ratings

100psi at 180F
160psi at 74F

The most likely issue is things (faucets, etc) coming loose from vibration from driving down the road or seals drying out or being 'eaten' by hard water.

Now house is under pressure 24/7 where an RV isn't used nearly that much - so I suppose the on again/off again pressure cycles could be a factor somewhere.

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #10
Mod free 5er

Quote:

I think if you are on city water, there is a regulator somewhere in the line after the meter, they are normally set at around 45#-50#.