Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #1

Water pressure/water pump

We've got a 2018 26dbhc and the water pump runs all the time. The first time we took it out it only ran on demand and the water pressure was great. About halfway through our first outing I noticed the pump was running all the time and our water pressure was really weak. The pump sounds like it's circulating water in itself? If that makes sense. Anyone else have this issue or know what might be wrong. I've checked the outside showers etc and nothing is on. Checked the faucet screens and nothing in them
HPPYCAMPR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #2

Make sure all the taps are actually turned off. Check the outside shower if you have one as well. A running pump usually means something is open.
NickHeaps819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 08:55 PM   #3
Site Team

Your pump may be sucking air. Make sure any anti-freeze input winterizing valve is totally closed to drawing from the anti-freeze input hose.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:04 AM   #4

It sure seems like it's sucking air but sure can find where
Old 06-10-2018, 12:17 AM   #5
GLCM Warrior

Sometimes, on our Wildcat, I have to open a faucet (both hot and cold) and purge the air from the lines to get the pump to shut off. Once I get a steady flow of water from the kitchen faucet (the furthest one from the pump on our Wildcat) , I can shut the faucet off and the pump noise will usually change pitch and then shortly thereafter the pump will turn off.

You also may need to purge the air from the water heater using the pressure relief valve.

Best wishes,

Bob & Debbie
Lefty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:23 PM   #6

Is it possible the pump is shot already? It's a brand new camper so it shouldn't be. I've checked every single connection. I've checked all the screens. I've checked to make sure the hose from the tank to the pump is not plugged. Checked the low point drains they are good. Everything is off. I've taken the lid off the screen and filled it with water to re-prime the pump. I've bypassed the hot water heater, I've purged the water heater. All that and still no pressure and the pump runs constantly
Old 06-10-2018, 12:29 PM   #7

You need to find out the make and model of your pump, otherwise any reply would be pure speculation.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:42 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_123957.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	164.0 KB
ID:	175336
Old 06-10-2018, 08:26 PM   #9

Here's a bit of an update...the pump totally stopped pushing water at our campsite so we packed up and came home. The pump still runs, constantly, but wont push water. I have checked every thing everyone has suggested so to see if I had a line plugged I connected to city water when I got home and wouldn't you know it....every faucet, the toilet etc. worked perfect with plenty of pressure. That being said it about has to be the pump doesn't it?
Old 06-10-2018, 08:39 PM   #10

It likely is shot now as it sounds like it has run quite a bit without moving water. It initial cause might have been the gasket on the suction side where it connects to the pump. I’ve had that problem before.
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 09:49 PM   #11

I know nothing about this pump, but it doesn't seem to have an internal bypass, so recirculating the water is unlikely.
It looks like you have a new(ish) trailer, start with inspecting all connections between the freshwater tank and the pump. Make sure the tank is full. Inspect the silt screen on the pump inlet side, make sure it is clean. A leak on the suction side is sometimes hard to detect as it not always leaks water out. If this doesn't fix it try hooking up a hose to the pump inlet and let it suck water from a bucket. The suction pipe (hose) in the water tank could be blocked by debris (bits and pieces of plastic), try draining the tank and refilling it.

These pumps are quite robust when they run dry for short periods of time but I'm not sure if they do for hours.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 11:00 PM   #12

Thing is it wasnt running dry. You could hear it trying to suck water up but it wouldn't build enough pressure to shut itself off. You could hear water sloshing around in the pump when it was running. Today it would build enough pressure to get some water to the tap but once you opened the tap it wouldn't even push anymore water out. I've checked every single connect in that camper and they were all tight. I've checked the silt screen it's fine too. I'm sure I dont have a blockage anywhere as when hooked to city water I have great pressure at every tap. Pressure like the camper had until the pump started acting up.
Old 06-10-2018, 11:03 PM   #13

Also I unhooked the hose from the tank to the pump at the pump and and blew through it and it is not obstructed. It blew freely and I could here the bubbles in the tank so if it was blocked it's not now.
Old 06-11-2018, 12:17 AM   #14

With all your playing around you cleared your check valve in the pump I'm guessing. You may not have danmaged it.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:00 AM   #15

You state your unit is a "2018 26DBHC" I Guess this is a "Cherokee",if it has the "Winterization Port" try to pump Water from a gallon jug or 2 with All fixtures off and W/H in bypass! See if this works! if Not have Dealer install New Pump,hopefully N/C under Warr! Youroo!!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPPYCAMPR View Post
We've got a 2018 26dbhc and the water pump runs all the time. The first time we took it out it only ran on demand and the water pressure was great. About halfway through our first outing I noticed the pump was running all the time and our water pressure was really weak. The pump sounds like it's circulating water in itself? If that makes sense. Anyone else have this issue or know what might be wrong. I've checked the outside showers etc and nothing is on. Checked the faucet screens and nothing in them
Curious to know if you ever resolved the problem?
Hoyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pressure, pump, water, water pump