Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2009, 08:15 AM   #1

Water Problem

We are camping this weekend and using our fresh water tank and now when we turn on our pump, water shoots out of the city water connection. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
aw20536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #2

The city water connection has a CHECK (one way valve) built into it. Apparently, for some reason, the CHECK is not seating.

With pump OFF, remove the screened washer inside the city water connection. Push on the valve a few time to try and make it seat in place. Most of the time, this works.

If this doesn't work, connect a water hose to the city water connection and run water through it. This may help flush it out(if anything is obstructing the valve). Remove the water supply hose and try the pump again.

If this doesn't work, you may have to replace the city water valve.

If you're camping where you have no access to a water supply, you'll have to pinch off the hose(from the pump to the city water connection) to stop the flow. Use vise-grip pliers with a softener between the jaws or a "C"-clamp, or whatever to stop the flow.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #3
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
If that wasn't so serious it would be funny. Sounds like maybe an anti-siphon valve on the city water side is stuck open. Note that I am assuming there is such a valve. Just for giggles, try putting in a plug where the the hose screws in. It might be a temporary fix until you can figure out what the real problem is.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM   #4

Thanks you guys are awesome! I went out and looked around and found pieces of the check valve. ;ust have to run to town to get a new one. Wow camper is only 3 weeks old, things happen at the wrong time huh.
Anyway thanks again.
Allen
Old 04-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Knower of Some Things

they're pretty ferocious when they pop, too.
PumaPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 02:33 PM   #6
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Funny this thread came up. I just got back from Reichert's RV of Hanover PA and purchased the same City Water Inlet with Check Valve. Mine started leaking after I dewinterized the system. I was fortunate that I was able to take it apart and found that just the O-Ring came off. I fixed and replaced it. Bought a new one for insurance, never know when it might go again. $21.30 is well worth the peace of mind just in case I need it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #7

I think I found an easier way

Rather than crimp off the hose ,why not take your blow out plug making sure it has the cap on the narrow end and screw it in. This should stop the air flow.
I have made up a small tool kit using a small tool box and keep one of these in it aslong with other common tools and one of those screwdrivers for the rv type screws used throughout the trailer.
hpage3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpage3 View Post
Rather than crimp off the hose ,why not take your blow out plug making sure it has the cap on the narrow end and screw it in. This should stop the air flow.
I have made up a small tool kit using a small tool box and keep one of these in it aslong with other common tools and one of those screwdrivers for the rv type screws used throughout the trailer.
Dang good thinking!!! If you have the blow out plug for the city water inlet with the tire valve stem on it then the valve stem would work to stop the flow of water. Now I have to make sure mine is always in the rig! Good job!
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #9

Ok, went to my local dealer who sold me the camper. They did not have the exact valve for my camper so they gave me one of thesehttp://www.campingworld.com/shopping...let-plug/27840.
This did the job and we were able to finish our weekend of camping just fine. The dealer is going to replace the valve this week when it comes in. Thanks for all your help.
Allen

PS. I will be keeping this cap in my camper from now on.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #10

Has anyone replaced their city inlet valve with something metalic? I'm getting a bad issue with cross threading and the weight of the hose causing leaks and popping the hose off.

I originally at the regulator attached at the camp faucet and the clean water end in the city valve...I've reversed this and the regulator seems to create a tighter fit in the city water valve...perhaps it is the fresh water hose itself...personally, I'd rather have a metal to metal connnection.

Any parts out there like that?
kgershman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:39 AM   #11
Site Team

I haven't seen metal inlet fittings but I've had 3 trailers and never
had an issue.
I even use a whole house filter that hangs directly on those threads.
Maybe your inlet is just bad and or your hose end is bad?
Garden hose ends can be really cheaply made.
Try a replacement end on the hose first.
If you look at Lowes or maybe Home Depot you can find brass hose ends.

Good luck!
KyDan
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
CLASS "A" Senior Member

If you look at post #2 from Milzat you'll see the replacement inlet with check valve. It is metal where the hose attaches. One thing to check with some hoses is the opening in the male end is not wide enough to allow the screened washer to bottom out and seal the connection so it doesn't leak. I found this with an el-cheapo I bought a few years ago with my pop-up. But it did provide an outdoor shower that felt real nice on a 94 degree day while setting up.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #13

Geez. e I sit with the exact same problem on my brand new Wildwood. Is it easy to remove and replace the check valve? Hey, when a light bulb burns out, before i allow my wife to climb a ladder to replace it I make sure that she shuts off electricity at the box.

TV: '06 Silverado, 2500 HD, crew cab, Long Box, 6.0L gasser, 4.10 Rear Axel

A three year old bundle of energy, Chocolate Cocker Spaniel who goes by the name of Jake

A retired art teacher, Pat, who is a fantastic artist who is my better half.
buttsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 12:28 PM   #14

First time it happened to me, I ran to town and picked up a hose-end shutoff valve at Walmart for about 2 bucks. Screwed it into the city water valve and stopped the flow. I always carry one in the trailer now, just in case.
Hogrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:28 AM   #15

Funny this thread came up. I swear I never noticed anyone talking about this. This weekend this happened to me. I got by with putting a hose shut off on there. So I guess I need to purchase this weekend. Is there much to changing it?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #16

I picked up my new city water valve last Thursday, it was a matter of removing 3 screws and replacing the old valve. Easy as can be. Be sure to re-caulk around the new valve to the camper wall. (5 minutes max.)
Allen
Old 05-04-2009, 11:33 AM   #17

Excellent. Will try to pick one up this week.

thanks to all.
its so nice to have a group of people here that don't bicker and know the answers to Life, the Universe and Everything..... that way I I don't panic!
Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw20536 View Post
I picked up my new city water valve last Thursday, it was a matter of removing 3 screws and replacing the old valve. Easy as can be. Be sure to re-caulk around the new valve to the camper wall. (5 minutes max.)
Allen
Don't tell your wife it was THAT easy!!!!!!!
You need at least a 2 beer project to get credit for that days "hard work"!!
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote