Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-23-2018, 05:51 PM   #1

Water pump

What would cause the water pump to stay on and have very low pressure even when the pump and panel are off.
Seand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 06:31 PM   #2
Certified Curmudgeon

The pump would stay on if:
A. The pressure switch is broken (not common)
B. There is a demand for water. Most common is filling the water heater tank. A leak but it would have to be massive or the pump would cycle.
C. Pump goes into bypass mode. Very rare. Has to do with back pressure in the valve generally speaking.

Can you translate what you mean when you say “pump and panel are off”? You started with the pump stays on.

Edit: I left something out; D. If you have no/almost no water in the Fresh Water tank, the pump will run. You may get a trickle from the hot water tank until it runs dry.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:36 PM   #3

pump would stay on if you had a leak somewhere and the system wasn't pressurizing fully. see water running any where?
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 07:37 PM   #4

If none of the inside faucets aren't running check the outside shower and the water line drain valves. One of mine has a slow drip that causes the pump to cycle very occasionally that I'll replace at the end of the season. It's not worth a 60 mile round trip to the dealer. If the valve was full or partially open the pump would run constantly. If there is no water under the trailer you need to move on to some of the other suggestions above. Good luck!
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:08 PM   #5

Ok sorry I was vague. Fresh water is full all faucets are closed. The unit is only 2 weeks old. Didn’t check pump at delivery. Mistake by me. So I hooked up to city and purged all lines water heater ect. All air pockets pushed out. It has a control panel to shut off pump. With pump off and panel off the only way the pump shuts off is pulling the inline fuse on the hot.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
Certified Curmudgeon

No problem. That leaves “C”. Are you connected to city water and trying to run the pump?
Old 09-23-2018, 10:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post
No problem. That leaves “C”. Are you connected to city water and trying to run the pump?
He is on city water and trying to turn OFF the pump.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 02:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckogram View Post

No sir I read about air and purging so I connected to city so I could run all faucets and valves. I switched back to holding tank and pump. Disconnected hose. I’ll add that when the pump is running the pressure is low and intermittent. Also the unit has an inline water filter that fills up fine when connected to city water but not on hold I g tank. I suspect a bad ground or electrical issue but everything looks correct
Old 09-24-2018, 04:08 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Do you have an antifreeze inlet? If so, you might have the valves set to ‘winterize’, so your pump is sucking air instead of sucking from your fresh tank.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Do you have an antifreeze inlet? If so, you might have the valves set to ‘winterize’, so your pump is sucking air instead of sucking from your fresh tank.

I do and it’s set correct but even if it wasn’t why would it still run when the switch and power panel were off.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:22 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seand76 View Post
I do and it’s set correct but even if it wasn’t why would it still run when the switch and power panel were off.

Ahh, missed the part about the switch. Might be a bad switch?
Old 09-24-2018, 05:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Ahh, missed the part about the switch. Might be a bad switch?

Hopefully the dealer comes out and takes care of this issues. Only had it 3 weeks should be a priority but who knows.

Thanks all for the help

Tags
pump, water, water pump