Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Water Pump

Hi All,

Our water pump comes on about every 15 minutes or so even when the water has not been tuned on. My dealer is trying to tell me that this is normal, but I am sure it is not as it did not happen during our first summer with the trailer.

I assume there is a leak in the system somewhere causing it to lose pressure and cause the pump to come on to re-pressurize the system. I have tried to look everywhere for any possible water leaks and everything seems to be dry. I have also tried to make sure that the connections to the water pump itself are tight enough. Nothing has solved the problem so far.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?
Old 06-10-2013, 11:02 AM   #2

There is a valve in the pump itself that prevents the pressure from leaking away. That may be going out.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #3
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
There is a valve in the pump itself that prevents the pressure from leaking away. That may be going out.
X2

The symptom the OP described fits a problem I had with the pump on my previous trailer. The valve was going out. Rather than repair the valve, I replaced the whole pump because it was eight years old.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There's a check valve on the suction side of the pump to maintain prime and to prevent unintended filling of the fresh water tank when using the city water connection. A possible cause is that this check valve isn't seating properly allowing a drop in pressure. I believe that Shurflo sell the replacement separately.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

This situation also happens when there's air in the system and more specifically in the wh.

The "best" way to get air out of the wh is the pressure relief valve on the wh.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:14 PM   #6

Thanks for all of your replies. I will try the WH pressure relief first as it is the easiest. It would suck to replace the water pump since it is only two seasons old.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtSquirt View Post
It would suck to replace the water pump since it is only two seasons old.
About "suck to replace"... Likely you can get a kit or a part to repair your pump (if that's the problem). I just happened to "replace" mine because it was older and I got a really great deal on another pump. Saved me some time, don't mean to mislead you.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:25 PM   #8
Love My Sunseeker

I'm in a 2013 Sunseeker 3170 and my water pump just went poof.

I had this happen in a previous Sunseeker I owned, it was a blown fuse. The fuse in the Sunseeker 3170 is easily accessible so I tried to swap it. Didn't work.

I'm on my way to Iowa, I am currently in Oregon, I have an appointment on Monday in Wellsville, UT (had to do a bit of planning and calling to pull off that one).

I just read the thread, I'll try the pressure relief valve after I turn off the water heater and cool it down.

It worked this morning. Tonight I parked in an RV park as I always do, filled up my water tank, and POOF, the pump isn't working.

Side question: How do you drain your water tank when the pump isn't working? I tried the low point drain, nothing. So now I'm stuck driving for two more days with a full water tank. (I had even nicely obtained permission from the campground owner to drain my tank on the ground!)

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXSMac View Post
How do you drain your water tank when the pump isn't working? I tried the low point drain, nothing. So now I'm stuck driving for two more days with a full water tank. (I had even nicely obtained permission from the campground owner to drain my tank on the ground!)
There'll be a separate FW tank drain somewhere under the coach...some type of valve to open.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:55 AM   #10

Have you tried a shurflo accumulator tank, it will help prevent the pump from cycling.
cvsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 10:16 AM   #11
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Monica View Post
There'll be a separate FW tank drain somewhere under the coach...some type of valve to open.

Dave
Did a search on the forum and found that the tank drain is a valve next to the freshwater filter. After ten years of RV'ing, I had one of those, "Oh, is THAT what that thing is for" moments.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 PM   #12
Love My Sunseeker

well, guess what. I've had lots of RV techs tell me "water pumps generally don't go bad." I have generally found that true in previous RV's I've owned. The only issue I ever had is a bad fuse (cost me $80 Labor for that diagnosis!).

However, my water pump in my 2013 Sunseeker went POOF. I was having the "constant cycling" problems mentioned before. Turns out the seals broke, and it went poof. I have a new one now. I'm past warranty (and didn't do extended) so I had to pay for it. Got it in Utah at a Mom and Pop repair place. The new one I got is QUIET! I can't tell it's on! Doesn't make any noise when water is on.