Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 04:52 PM   #1

Water pump ?

Bought a used travel trailer 2006 forest river surveyor sv291 . I'm dewinterizing santatizing. Brand new to this so I am following the owners manual & some recommdations from this site.

My problem is when I have the fresh water pump turned on, water comes out of the city water connection. Is there supposed to be a cap on that? I followed tubes & don't see a off valve so water doesn't flow out the city water connection. Am I missing something or do I just need to get a cap for city water connection when using fresh water pump? Thanks
rlgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:02 PM   #2

There is a check valve built in to the city inlet so it wont do this look where you hook up the hose to it and take the screen and rubber washer out under that you should see a plastic pin sticking out push on it but stand out of the way or you will get sprayed. After try your pump and look for leaks then. Mine was doing the same thing last summer but was only a steady drip and this worked just the check valve didn't seat it self right. then just put the screen and washer back. Oh and yes there should be a cap to cover the inlet.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #3

Yes that was it, but I had to turn pump on & pressed it with needle nose pliers & it set. I will have to buy a cap too. Thanks.

Now how is pump supposed to sound? On some faucets & toilet it will have a constant run unless water turned on low then pulsates. But on kitchen faucet is pulsating unless both hot & cold on full blast. Do I need to adjust? Not sure how the pump should work. Pulsate or constant even with water flow is low? Thanks again
Old 04-05-2015, 05:48 PM   #4

Should be a continuous flow, sounds like the pump is sucking air.
Double check that all valves are turned full and correct.
Old 04-05-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Mod free 5er

It depends on the amount of flow out of the faucet as to whether it will pump constantly or pulsate. If you have the faucet just partially on, it will pulsate as it builds to pressure and looses pressure, etc. With the faucet or faucets on full, it will run constantly. IF you have all faucets off, it should not run at all.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #6

Okay looks like I have a little leak on the check valve. Just a small drip that will make the pump run occasionally. Is that something I can buy @ home Depot or is it special for an rv?

The kitchen sink is where the pump pulsates all the time unless both hot & cold are fully on. If just one is on it pulsates. All other water outlets seem to work fine. Would it be because the kitchen sink is the furthest? And it's just the way it goes? Thanks for the help.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlgold View Post
Bought a used travel trailer 2006 forest river surveyor sv291 . I'm dewinterizing santatizing. Brand new to this so I am following the owners manual & some recommdations from this site.

My problem is when I have the fresh water pump turned on, water comes out of the city water connection. Is there supposed to be a cap on that? I followed tubes & don't see a off valve so water doesn't flow out the city water connection. Am I missing something or do I just need to get a cap for city water connection when using fresh water pump? Thanks
Do a (Search) at the top (Shurflo Accumulator Tank) 9/2/2012! Read all (3) pages! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:09 AM   #8

Rig old

Congrats on your purchase. You may know this already but be sure all the air is bled from the lines by connecting to city, opening the relief valve on the water heater and allowing it to flow there. Btw I assume you have opened the valves to the hot and cold site to the WH and closed the bypass. Also check to make sure the drain valves at bottom are tightly closed. Close the relief valve outside at the water heater and then, one at a time, open each sink, shower, outside shower, toilet, etc and let it flow till all air is bled. Close them. (Don't overflow your holding tanks, remember too water weighs 8 lbs per gallon. Disconnect city supply, Make sure you have adequate water supply in your fresh tank. You may also want to clean the filter screen on your pump if it's not been checked. See if there are any other valves around the pump area that appear that look like should be closed. Some older models had a siphon tube.

Sounds like you already know what you're doing so you are on track. Youroo suggested an accumulator tank, great idea. I installed the Shurflo 2 gal stainless one in mine and set pressure at 28 psi. Cuts down the noise and cycle time of the pump. Did this last two trailers. Almost a must if you dry camp to help conserve battery from pump cycling.

Have fun learning and camping
TST 507RV TPMS
Zolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 08:16 AM   #9

PS. My rig's holding tanks and WH, when full weigh a whopping extra 928 lbs. 114 gal x 8. Something to be considered if you are new. Important to tow empty.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-06-2015, 08:19 AM   #10

Oops, I meant 912 lbs full. Need another cup of coffee this a.m.
TST 507RV TPMS
Old 04-06-2015, 06:07 PM   #11

OK no I haven't opened the cold & hot to the water heater as I was sanitizing & thought I read not to sanitize the water heater? I'm done sanitizing but need to dump the tanks before I add more water to the freshwater pump & close the by pass to the water heater.

All other valves are the way they should be. Only the leak from the check valve on the city water inlet drips occasionally. I hope to pick 1 up soon I would imagine that I can pick it up at home Depot plumbing section.

I will look into the accumulator as that sounds ideal. & I know weight can add up fast that is why I want to dump the tanks before I try the water heater. Thanks guy's. Learning alot
Old 04-06-2015, 06:16 PM   #12

Quote:
OK no I haven't opened the cold & hot to the water heater as I was sanitizing & thought I read not to sanitize the water heater? I'm done sanitizing but need to dump the tanks before I add more water to the freshwater pump & close the by pass to the water heater.

All other valves are the way they should be. Only the leak from the check valve on the city water inlet drips occasionally. I hope to pick 1 up soon I would imagine that I can pick it up at home Depot plumbing section.

I will look into the accumulator as that sounds ideal. & I know weight can add up fast that is why I want to dump the tanks before I try the water heater. Thanks guy's. Learning alot
Have you tried hooking up a water hose to the city water and run a little. there may be some calcium or piece of debris that needs to be flushed out and then it may spring back fine.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:23 PM   #13

Yes I did that first before I filled the fresh water tank. It's a slow leak but will make the pump turn on occasionally .
Old 04-06-2015, 06:24 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Yes I did that first before I filled the fresh water tank. It's a slow leak but will make the pump turn on occasionally .
Take your pump apart and clean thoroughly.

Tags
pump, water, water pump