Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-31-2011, 03:39 PM   #1

Water Pump and other Questions

on the water pump underneath on the one side is a small little filter cap.. does that have to be empty or is it ok if anti-freeze is in it. also is that the same side i would attach the winterization kit to or should it go on the other side? Also in the picture on the side where the filter cap thingy is the blue hose hooked to it has two valves one on top and one on bottom. anyone know what these go to and do i ever need to mess with them? i am not sure what line goes where.

should i just wait till spring to do the winterization kit or is it something i can do over the winter? it is stored indoors. was hoping to do it over the winter though so it is ready to go come spring for flushing out.

i have several other questions in regards to low point drains and such but want to take a picture of what i have to better explain what i am asking first.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1121.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	8899   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1122.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	8900  
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #2

The filter thingy is actually a debris trap.. It needs to be cleaned once in a while. That's all. The valves should be to bypass your water heater. Follow the lines and you should see that. Yes, you can add the kit anytime. The sooner the better if you have to winterize your RV.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLTOH View Post
on the water pump underneath on the one side is a small little filter cap.. does that have to be empty or is it ok if anti-freeze is in it. also is that the same side i would attach the winterization kit to or should it go on the other side? Also in the picture on the side where the filter cap thingy is the blue hose hooked to it has two valves one on top and one on bottom. anyone know what these go to and do i ever need to mess with them? i am not sure what line goes where.

should i just wait till spring to do the winterization kit or is it something i can do over the winter? it is stored indoors. was hoping to do it over the winter though so it is ready to go come spring for flushing out.

i have several other questions in regards to low point drains and such but want to take a picture of what i have to better explain what i am asking first.
First off the small little filter cap is a screen to protect the pump and is on the suction side of the pump. Its OK to be empty or contain RV type anitfreeze. Second, what do you mean by winterization kit? If you mean a hose to suck out antifreeze then yes you unscrew the connection where the screen is and attach the kit at the same place. The blue line with the two valves is your suction line. I'm wondering if one of the blue lines pulls water out of your fresh water tank and the other line pulls RV antifreeze from some labeled point? This would make since to me. These valves shouldn't have anything to do with the hot water by-pass valves. These valves will (should) be near your hot water heater. Third, you should winterize as soon as possible (if it's getting cold where you are).

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:23 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
First off the small little filter cap is a screen to protect the pump and is on the suction side of the pump. Its OK to be empty or contain RV type anitfreeze. Second, what do you mean by winterization kit? If you mean a hose to suck out antifreeze then yes you unscrew the connection where the screen is and attach the kit at the same place. The blue line with the two valves is your suction line. I'm wondering if one of the blue lines pulls water out of your fresh water tank and the other line pulls RV antifreeze from some labeled point? This would make since to me. These valves shouldn't have anything to do with the hot water by-pass valves. These valves will (should) be near your hot water heater. Third, you should winterize as soon as possible (if it's getting cold where you are).
yes the hose to suck anti freeze is what i ment by the winterization kit.. and yes it looks like maybe the top hose goes to the anti-freeze inlet when i followed the hoses to see where it went. not sure how all that works as far as the anti-freeze inlet. wish i had someone local to just come out and walk me thru everything to show me. and yes my wh by pass is not even in the picture. it is on the wh and i did get those figured out.

i have already winterized but not sure if i did everything the proper way. i dont have an air compressor yet so i know i probably have water mixed in with anti-freeze in the lines. i also had put the anti-free in the fresh water tank but couldnt get it to go thru the lines even though it looks like it is in the lines. (they look pink in color when i look underneath at the lines from fresh water tank) i did pour anti-freeze in the traps and all that. just worried about the lines in thru the pump and all. when i did turn the pump on anti-freeze did fill in the water filter area and i emptied that so i know it it being pulled in thru pump. just nothing ever came in thru the faucets and such. There wasnt much water in it to begin with. the dealership put enough in to do the walk thru and i never put any in since i only used it twice before winterizing it. i have maybe 4 more gallons of anti-freeze i could put in it but was thinking i wanted to do the winterization kit thing since i understand how that works. although i do wonder if all i need is a hose attached to the anti-freeze inlet and need to turn those two valves i am questioning to use the inlet and dont really need the other hose attached. this is all new to me so i am learning as i go along but i have a feeling its going to be a nasty winter and even though it is stored inside i am afraid of the damage i may face come spring if i dont do a follow up on what all this stuff is
BLTOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #5

BLTOH not sure if you did this or not but I believe you have to shut off the valve that goes to your fresh water tank and then open up your bypass valve for the antifreeze to be sucked through your pump and system.

Having water mixed in with the antifreeze is fine. That's what is suppose to do. It helps keep the water from freezing if there was some in your lines.
St1tcher is offline   Reply With Quote