Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Water Pump and Water Lines

I am looking for a diagram/schematic of the water lines and location of the water pump in our 2016 Rockwood 8280WS.

I have tried every search argument I could think of and still no luck. I guess my next step is to go to the local Rockwood service guy and see if one of them can help.

Any suggestions where else I might look? I just like to know where every thing is; fittings, valves, the pump and anything else.

Snowed again last night. Urk.

GT
greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #2

I doubt such a document exists.

Water heater bypass valves are directly behind the water heater, water pump may be near there.

Put some water in the fresh tank and turn pump on, open a faucet then see if you can locate it by sound.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:37 PM   #3

The water pump and filter are behind the access panel on the non door side in the basement storage.

Like FordIdaho said, bypass valves are behind water heater hidden by an access panel at the back of the interior lower cabinet at the back of the unit.

any other questions?
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:01 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by greytraveler View Post
I am looking for a diagram/schematic of the water lines and location of the water pump in our 2016 Rockwood 8280WS.
No such thing exists.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
No such thing exists.
Obviously not for the consumer but I hope the guys who build it have one. Looks like I will need to draw my own, again.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #6

It will look more-or-less like the attached PDF. Locations will vary.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RV Plumbing pic.pdf (118.1 KB, 405 views)

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 06:45 PM   #7

New Owner's Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
It will look more-or-less like the attached PDF. Locations will vary.
Thanks, it is helpful. I have printed it and will add to the owner's manual I am creating from various sources.

GT
Old 05-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #8

Quote:

I have tried every search argument I could think of and still no luck. I guess my next step is to go to the local Rockwood service guy and see if one of them can help.

Any suggestions where else I might look? I just like to know where every thing is; fittings, valves, the pump and anything else.

Snowed again last night. Urk.

GT
I own an 08 8280SS so things may be different. The hot water bypass valves are behind the hot water heater inside of a kitchen cabinet. They are to the right of the oven. I found the water pump almost right under the bedroom steps. Do you have an outside shower? If so open the basement door and look at the shower pipes. If I follow those pipes across my trailer they go to my filter then to my pump. Easiest way to get to mine is thru the basement door by the outside door steps. Don't be surprised if yours is different. I don't think FR has ever made two units the same. It seems everyone you talk to has a different setup, LOL!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #9

I have been poking around and it seems I will need to remove panels to get to the water pump and filter as well as the water heater valves. Pretty sure every layout is different in some way. Good thing I have the tools I need to get to these things.

Now, I need to learn what to shut off and connect to winterize, but that is for the future. There is a handy connection on the left side for sucking in the antifreeze so that is a plus.

Everything seems to be working so far but have not tested the water pump. That is today or tomorrow. I hope the few nights of below freezing have not created a problem. It was only a few hours in the early mornings so hopefully I will get lucky. I did open the low point drain and the fresh water tank valve as soon as we got it home.

I keep finding little things that need fixing. Screws under the table that are not fully seated. A gasket on one of the slides hanging loose. Minor stuff but typical I guess of mass produce products.

Thanks for the responses.

GT
Old 05-02-2016, 01:34 PM   #10

Found it but

Found the water pump and water filter.

Who ever designed the setup never had to access either. It was a rat's nest of pipes and wires in the way of the pump. Filter access not much better. Beats me how anyone would get to the water pump without first removing a panel and then the furnace which is the way. Too long a reach from the other side.

If one felt the need for a filter the only easy way would be to use an external setup outside the rig. Forget the internal one. It is a PITA.

If there is a problem with the water pump it is beyond my abilities.

Old 05-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #11

Quote:

Who ever designed the setup never had to access either. It was a rat's nest of pipes and wires in the way of the pump. Filter access not much better. Beats me how anyone would get to the water pump without first removing a panel and then the furnace which is the way. Too long a reach from the other side.

If one felt the need for a filter the only easy way would be to use an external setup outside the rig. Forget the internal one. It is a PITA.

I have to lay on my belly and reach over some heat duct to reach the bypass valves, if I was shaped more like Humpty Dumpty I'd never get up again.....
Old 05-02-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Since my last post I found several other threads discussing the poor design regarding the location of various components. The water pump and filter being the number one complaints.

And it is not just Forest River. My approach to winterizing will be to take it to the local FR service guy and pay the 60 bucks to let him struggle with it while I have a beer and maybe some sushi.

The only two fifth wheels I ever owned that had not only reasonable access to things but also decent owner's manuals were built by Northwood.

But they are now pretty pricy and we do not plan to travel that much so could not justify.

Oh well.

GT
Old 05-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:

LMAO! ! I agree, they were engineers, not mechanic! I have often stated engineers should be required to work on their designs, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Jim
Old 05-03-2016, 10:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
LMAO! ! I agree, they were engineers, not mechanic! I have often stated engineers should be required to work on their designs, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Jim
I highly doubt any engineers are involved in the placement of water pumps and hoses.

Old 05-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I have to lay on my belly and reach over some heat duct to reach the bypass valves, if I was shaped more like Humpty Dumpty I'd never get up again.....
I know mine are a real pain to get to. I just make it!!

Jim
Old 05-03-2016, 11:26 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
I highly doubt any engineers are involved in the placement of water pumps and hoses.
Remember there are different types of engine-rears. Some do nothing but designs. These are the ones that hope what they do works, and pray they never have to work on what they have designed or laid out!!

The good ones will then go to their mechanics and ask "Will this work?" How difficult will this be to work on?

A good mechanic will say yes, it will work but change this Move the pump to here. You can not get to this part. A bad engine-rear doesn't care.

Jim
Old 05-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Remember there are different types of engine-rears. Some do nothing but designs. These are the ones that hope what they do works, and pray they never have to work on what they have designed or laid out!!

The good ones will then go to their mechanics and ask "Will this work?" How difficult will this be to work on?

A good mechanic will say yes, it will work but change this Move the pump to here. You can not get to this part. A bad engine-rear doesn't care.

Jim
My point is that I highly doubt that there are any degreed engineers involved in the actual locations of these components. If they have any engineers, they are most likely only involved in making sure the final "as-designed" version is balance properly; but it doesn't take a degreed engineer to do that. At most, I suspect they have "technicians" or "designers."

Old 05-03-2016, 10:08 PM   #18

A simple solution

Thinking about the placement of water pump, water filter and the furnace, it seems the three could have been placed in a different order and problem solved.

The furnace/heater, which seldom if ever has a need to be accessed, could be placed next to the panel facing the interior of the coach (or whatever you call it).

The water filter and pump could then be placed near the panel that is facing the storage/basement compartment. In our rig that would make for very easy access.

It is such an obvious layout it makes me wonder who is in charge of designing the internals of these rigs.

Maybe ours was assembled late on a Friday when they were in a hurry to get to the pub and it was just thrown together. That would explain the routing of the plumbing and wiring. What mess.

I am most likely

Tags
pump, water, water pump