Old 02-17-2018, 01:37 PM   #1

Water Pump issue

My camp neighbor has an issue with his water pump. The pump runs, but its much quieter than normal (soft purr). He says it normally much louder when pumping. Its not pumping any water or air out the faucets. I checked the filter between the tank and pump and its clean with very little water in it. The tank is full of water. I feel the pumps has an issue and is not pumping or its not priming? Any help would be appreciated.

Bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

When mine does this it is usually a clogged filter at the pump, or bad pump. Once, on first use after winterization, it would not prime but would build up air pressure in the lines. So I would let it build up, open the furthest faucet, repeat until it primed and started pumping water. Don't know what happened there.

But if you checked the filter and it does not build up any pressure, I would replace the pump.

Good luck!

Reese Fifth Airborne air ride king pin coupler with Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:48 PM   #3

Thanks. It weird, but you can let the pump run a long time and there is no air pressure at the faucets. I was thinking a bad pump?
Old 02-17-2018, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

I had this issue caused by a sticking anti-reversing valve inside the pump. I learned to switch the winterizing valve to the setting where it draws in anti-freeze, turn on the pump, open a faucet and BLOW into the anti-freeze suction hose with all my power - like in The Three Little Pigs story. All of a sudden, the check valve would unstick due to my huffing and puffing and the pump would prime and pump water. It's worth a try.

My pump (along with other things) is being replaced under an extended service contract.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 =111/'19 = 55; booked = 20
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

I agree. Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

Could the valve for winterizing be in the anti freeze fill position?
DSurette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:12 PM   #7

If equipped be sure the valve that is used to winterize with RV antifreeze is set to pull from the fresh water tank.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump View Post
My camp neighbor has an issue with his water pump. The pump runs, but its much quieter than normal (soft purr). He says it normally much louder when pumping. Its not pumping any water or air out the faucets. I checked the filter between the tank and pump and its clean with very little water in it. The tank is full of water. I feel the pumps has an issue and is not pumping or its not priming? Any help would be appreciated.
Just a thought here,... Have you neighbor turn the pump off, then go outside to the CW connection, then have him stick his finger in the inlet and push the check valve button to release any pressure in the CW line. Make sure you warn him to stand off to the side as he may get a bath from the pressurized water. Once the pressure is released then try the pump again.

"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:18 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSurette View Post
Could the valve for winterizing be in the anti freeze fill position?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
If equipped be sure the valve that is used to winterize with RV antifreeze is set to pull from the fresh water tank.

X2 Since we don't know what make/model unit your neighbor has.....Make sure the winterizing valves, whether in a docking station or in siphon hoses near the water pump are set to non-winterize/normal position.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #10

Thanks for all the ideas. We tried everything and still nothing. Must be a bad pump.

Its a 2016 Artic Fox camper.

Tags
pump, water, water pump