Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #1

Water Pump Light Will Not Turn Off

The Water Pump light on my panel will not turn off. I don't have any issues with water pressure, but the light will not turn off no matter the direction.

(note: this isn't my picture, but the panel is nearly identical)

When I unhooked and put the trailer in storage, the battery drained within a few days. I'm not sure if the switch is bad and just needs replaced or if this is a signal that there is something more significant at play.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water-pump2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	178743  
andy347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:36 PM   #2

This is probably a dumb question..... but do you happen to have a water pump switch in a panel on the outside of the trailer?

On our REV we've got two switches... on inside the rig and one on the outside near the dump and shower. Didn't really pay much attention to it until I kept hearing the pump go on when dry camped and knew it was turned off inside. Switching off the outside switch actually turned off the water pump.
Old 07-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #3

Now that is an interesting concept. I honestly don't know, but I'll find out today and post an update. Thanks for the idea!
Old 07-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #4

Even with a switch outside and one on the control panel, they should be 2way switches. But one can never be sure with rvs.

Regarding your problem with the battery, the parasitic draws from things like the CO/LPG detector and others are fully capable to drain a single battery within a week if the trailer is not connected to shore power or has no solar to keep the battery charged. You need to physically disconnect the battery to prevent unwanted discharge or install a battery disconnect switch.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:08 AM   #5

You say the switch light won't turn off. Does that mean your pump is energized no matter the switch position, or just that the light is always on but your pump still can be turned off? Sounds like a bad switch either way.
wharfrat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy347 View Post
The Water Pump light on my panel will not turn off. I don't have any issues with water pressure, but the light will not turn off no matter the direction.
Had same issue with Coachmen Leprechaun.

There are two water pump switches, one on the panel and one at the outside water fill/city water connection.

Just as previous poster suggested, it EITHER one is on, the water pump circuit is energized and the panel light stays on.

HTH
Brayeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brayeo View Post
Had same issue with Coachmen Leprechaun.

HTH
Thanks. It's nice to know that we're not alone.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #8

The switch could be wired or manufactured in a way that will leave the light on in either position.

2017 Rockwood 2703WS - Sold
2015 Keystone Sprinter 333FWFLS
2017 F250, 6.2 Gas, 3.73 Axle, 2902 lb Payload
If women don't find you handsome, at least they should find you handy!
andymil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #9

On my coach, the switch in the outside bay overrides the panel-so that outside one has to be off in order for the inside switch to turn things off.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #10

Thank you all for the quick response and suggestions. I was able to get to the trailer this morning and confirmed - there is a switch at the rear that overrides the inside switch. Once I turned off the external switch, the internal light went off.

Thanks again for all the help!!

Tags
light, pump, water, water pump