Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #1

Question water pump lines connection-- Solved

We purchased a used Wildwood 2002, 30 BHS, by Forest River and we are having water problems. When we connect to city water and the water comes to the faucets but it also fill up the fresh water holding tank and it flows out. We have changed the fresh water connection in case it was the check valve. We believe it has to due the way the water lines are connected to the water pump under the bed. We also installed a check valve from the outlet side of the pump to the line thinking it was backflowing to the fresh water tank. It still shoots out fresh water tank. There is a winterize hose that is clear that is connected to the outlet line with a tee. Could this be the problem? Does anyone have a diagram of how these hoses should be connected. DISGUSTED in Texas.
vduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

So you're filling the fresh water tank when on city water...is the FW tank filling and overflowing? Have you tried shutting off the city water and running the water pump to see if it's working properly...may provide more information.

There should be a check valve at the pump to prevent water from the city connection from filling the tank. I'm not sure whether its external or internal to the pump. The winterizing line will be T'ed into the suction line of the pump and the valve should be closed on it.

Here's a link to a schematic I found on line.

Water, Water, Everywhere!

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #3

The city water check valve at the inlet is not the problem. The only way water can go back to F/W tank is the (Suction) side hose of the pump. Place a check valve in this line and (NO) water can return to the F/W tank. Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

You have a bad check valve IN your water pump. With a 2002 you have three options from cheapest to most expensive.

1) Do as YooRoo said and put a check valve in the suction line of your water pump. The lines are 1/2 inch pipe thread.

Check Valve, 1/2" MPT x 1/2" FPT

2) Rebuild your water pump. To discover if your water pump CAN be rebuilt you will need the model number. Some can; some can't.

RV Water Pump Repair Parts Online Catalog - PPL Motor Homes

3) Replace the water pump.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...DID=11&CID=156

for example.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Site Team

It could be debris caught in the check valve which as mentioned is
either inside the water pump or screwed to the suction side of the pump.
Or it's bad like many have said.

Going strictly by the age of your RV I'd think a new water pump wouldn't
be too far out of line anyway.

Good Luck!
Please write back and let us know what you find.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Since you installed a check valve on the outlet side of the pump, turn off water and bleed pressure. Now remove hose from outlet side of the pump, leaving check valve in place on the hose. Turn on the water, and verify that check valve is working, and not in backwards. If it is not leaking, wait and see if the tank fills up. Odds are, the check valve in the pump isn't working, and the one you installed either isn't working, or is installed backwards. Other than that, someone has modified the plumbing so that city water will fill the tank. Hope they put a valve somewhere that you can shut off so this won't keep overflowing the tank.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Other than that, someone has modified the plumbing so that city water will fill the tank. Hope they put a valve somewhere that you can shut off so this won't keep overflowing the tank.
This is a very real possibility in a "new to you" camper.

The water pump check valve should be installed on the suction side of the water pump and not the output side. In addition to preventing city pressure from spinning the pump backwards, its job is to maintain "prime" to the electric water pump.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 AM   #8

Thank you all very much for all of the info and diagrams. I will try these suggestions. I have already replaced the fresh water inlet connnection yesterday and put a new check valve fitting on the water outlet connection on the pump. I believe the people before us has some of the water lines crossed. Let us make some changes and will get back to all of you with the fixes. I will post some pictures of the before and after. Have a good day all. Thanks a million.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by vduke View Post
Thank you all very much for all of the info and diagrams. I will try these suggestions. I have already replaced the fresh water inlet connnection yesterday and put a new check valve fitting on the water outlet connection on the pump. I believe the people before us has some of the water lines crossed. Let us make some changes and will get back to all of you with the fixes. I will post some pictures of the before and after. Have a good day all. Thanks a million.
This could be your problem.
As Lou "Herk" said below, the check valve goes on the suction side of
the water pump.
This keeps water from going thru the water pump and into the fresh
tank which is your original problem I believe.
See also the link for a general piping schematic Water water everywhere
in Dave_Monicas post below.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #10

Thanks Dan. The man at the RV shop told me to put the check valve on the output side of the pump. He said to look at the arrow on the pump and place it on the side of the arrow point. This could diffently be the problem. We have a Dutchman classic 39 bhss we stay in on weekends. We are permantely hooked up and it is a ways to look at pump. However, you all are wonderful and very helpful on this site. We are trying to fix this up since it was our neighbors which just passed away and his daughter lives next door. What a mess..... I believe so it can be fixed. Here are pictures as it is now and the FW holding tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	064.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	17704   Click image for larger version

Name:	066.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	17705   Click image for larger version

Name:	067.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	17706  
Old 08-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
Site Team - Lou

Is it me or do those sensors look weird?
Might be the angle of the photo...

Also where is the inlet screen filter for the water pump?
Old 08-08-2012, 06:32 PM   #12

Believe check valve belongs on dischare side. This allows pump to parallel shore water when connected supposed to stop backflow.

Low point valve leak- See this thread -current- in Georgetown section. Trekker having same problem with new pump and new check valve.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Believe check valve belongs on dischare side. This allows pump to parallel shore water when connected supposed to stop backflow.

Low point valve leak- See this thread -current- in Georgetown section. Trekker having same problem with new pump and new check valve.

"SHURfloŽ Fresh Water Pumps

SHURflo's fresh water pumps have been the industry leader since 1988. These potable water pumps are self-priming and employ three independent pumping chambers to pump water smoothly and quietly. Built-in check valves prevent backflow into the tank. They can run dry without damage. Their patented design delivers smooth, consistent flow at all ranges of operation, while drawing low current. SHURfloŽ fresh water pumps provide flows from 1.0 GPM up to 3.5 GPM. They are built tough to provide reliable, smooth and quiet operation for many enjoyable years of use. Each SHURfloŽ fresh water pump is thermally protected for added safety and peace of mind. CE versions are available."

Here's why I say that.= The second purpose of the check valve is to prevent shore pressure from over pressurizing the pump. It can be higher and not everyone uses a pressure reducer. Just a thought. The water should not be getting back through your check valve and the pump built in check valve. Here Shurflo brags its self priming and they truly are, slow but it works. The pump is flooded suction it does not pull well when empty however.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #14
Site Team - Lou

OK, wrong again (sigh)

I investigated this pump thing and it looks to me like the valve plate (part #2) has a 3 check valves; one for each pump chamber. That would be on the output side; what I initially thought was a check valve in the center, now looks like the pump pressure regulator valve (on the input side).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shurflo Pump IPB.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	17728  
Old 08-08-2012, 08:06 PM   #15

Some say tomato, some tomato... Shurflo always refers to the check valve as N/S though now its "integral", no spend money on new dwgs? But worse than all that, its now two folks complaining of the exact same backflow. One more than the other....
Old 08-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #16

OK...... Here is the long of things. We have our issue solved of the water pumping into fresh water tank when on city water connection. My husband has discovered someone connected the lines wrong on the water pump. He removed the pump and turned it around and reconnected water lines and BAMMMMM. Solved. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:52 AM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by vduke View Post
OK...... Here is the long of things. We have our issue solved of the water pumping into fresh water tank when on city water connection. My husband has discovered someone connected the lines wrong on the water pump. He removed the pump and turned it around and reconnected water lines and BAMMMMM. Solved. Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.
NO way this would be found "troubleshooting."
It would have been found while replacing the pump though.

If the pump was reversed, how in the world did it work when not connected to city water? The pump would try to empty the lines into the fresh tank; then suck dry.

Whoever installed this pump reversed obviously never checked their work.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13 AM   #18

Herk,maybe the (Pump) installer took his apprenticeship at F/R! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Herk,maybe the (Pump) installer took his apprenticeship at F/R! Youroo!!
Well maybe, my pencils still have erasers also!

In hindsight remember they were on shore water all along while rebuilding this inherited trailer. When it came time to test the pump it was in backwards but he renewed in kind. Finally after everyone advise of what it should look like he corrected it.

I myself just studied his piping from orig photos. I sent him a PM last night ack the pump was in backwards from previous activity, and he was correct to turn it. Only clue? The discharge of the pump and its check valve lead to the clear soft tubing of the tank suction. Someone added pex to lenghten to it confusing the conections at the pump. Good job to the op for sticking with it!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:50 AM   #20
Site Team - Lou

Yes, now that you mention it; the photo of the install clearly shows the unit is backwards.