Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

Water pump losing prime

I have posted last season about this, I got a new pump installed by me, it primes and then over night looses prime and not much water the next day. I see some debri in filter sometimes. I put thread tape on the inlet of pump. I have checked for loose fittings and I'm frustrated and mad. We don't use the holding tank much but when we do I want it to work. It's a 16 nitro xlr 305vlr. I have had it 15 months and it has never worked well. When I put pump on I filled tank to over flow and primed then and it was working. Now the same thing. Any suggestions?
Arkguy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #2

Start over. Had to be a leak somewhere ahead of the pump allowing air into the line.....hard to find and it does not take much of a leak. Could be internal (pump)

How long is the suction line?
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #3

Suction line is can't be seen so I'm have to take down my underbelly to see
Old 07-03-2016, 10:02 AM   #4

It has to be before the pump right
Old 07-03-2016, 11:55 AM   #5

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Arkguy,,,,,did you have this priming problem before you installed the pump? If not.......there you are. BTW.....you don't use thread seal on plastic parts.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #6
RVdoctor

water pump loosing prime

First off, thread tape is not required or necessary on the fitting threads. Check the rubber seal inside the line fitting that connects to the pump. Make sure the line fitting or the pump fitting is not cracked or has been cross threaded. If equipped with a strainer at pump check it or better yet remove it to see if that is the problem. I have had numerous problems with in-line filters/strainers causing this problem(most common). Since you state you changed the pump last step would be to make sure there are no kinks in the line between the tank and pump. Sometimes a staple or screw can puncture a hole. Sometimes removing the line at pump and blowing a little air through it works. Be sure to remove the water tank cap and don't blow too much air through there because the tank could be damaged. Good luck
rvdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkguy29 View Post
It has to be before the pump right
Yes if your loosing prime it is from the Suction side of pump to the FW tank! I see you live in a Cold area,do you have a "Winterizing Valve" if so this could be the issue"Bad or turned the wrong way"! Crap in Filter, is this the Little "Pre Filter" before the pump? This is also a problem area that is prone to "Sucking Air! Youroo!! PS I use Tape on all my "Fluid and Air Threads"!
Old 07-03-2016, 12:30 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Arkguy,,,,,are you sure you put that little white rubber gasket back in the end of the hose, and on right, where it seats and seals the hose connection on the inlet side of the pump???
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:32 PM   #9

Could it be the valve outside that is city water. If I remember right it has a check valve in it and if not sealed off it will stop priming all together.
Rolltide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolltide View Post
Could it be the valve outside that is city water. If I remember right it has a check valve in it and if not sealed off it will stop priming all together.
City water check valve should be on the Pressure side when on Pump! Youroo!!
Old 07-03-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
Occasional campers

We had a somewhat similar issue when I tried to pump anti freeze a few years ago. When I bypassed the selector valve, the pump worked fine. Replaced the selector valve & no more problem. Summary -- yes, if the pump is good the problem should be in the intake path to the pump.
Ray and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:21 PM   #12

Yes, had same problem.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #13

Thanks, yes it has a filter and strainer on pump, I put pump on correct. It does have a valve and small hose where u can suck antifreeze, all valves are turned correct. Had same issue with last pump so it has to be a leak somewhere.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #14

And pump won't shut off sometimes when faucet is off
Old 07-03-2016, 03:24 PM   #15

Had similar problem on my brand new Rockwood. Turned out I had an air leak on the faucet in the bathroom. Used sidecutters to squeeze the metal hose clamp and haven't had a problem in the last 3 years. That faucet would belch air until the pump finally primed.
00boomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:25 PM   #16
Occasional campers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkguy29 View Post
And pump won't shut off sometimes when faucet is off
I would suspect either the selector valve or the the connections. Suggest you try connecting the line from the tank directly to the pump; if that works replace the valve.
Old 07-03-2016, 11:33 PM   #17

How did u find it was there?
Old 07-04-2016, 05:48 AM   #18
Occasional campers

Not sure I understand the last question. If you follow the path from the inlet to the pump backwards, the first thing you generally should come to is the selector -- unless your unit doesn't have one. Inlets to the selector in my Rockwood are from the tank, or the hose to suck antifreeze. To try bypassing the valve you would connect the line from your tank directly to the pump inlet. If it pumps properly you either have a bad valve (my case) or leaky connection/s.
Old 07-04-2016, 09:19 AM   #19

Mine is the same way your camper is, I'll have to check that out. I tried quoting the guy saying it was his faucet. I believe since all my faucets do that its b4 the pump
Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 PM   #20
Occasional campers

For mine, we don't use the fresh water tank much and I found out when I was winterizing and trying to pump antifreeze. In our trailer it's very awkward to get to the pump area. I managed to bypass the valve & get antifreeze in; then left it for the winter. I ordered a new valve and replaced it in the spring.

Tags
pump, water, water pump