Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 03:57 PM   #1

Water pump or pipe leak

Hello everyone. I'm currently connected to city water and out of nowhere I noticed water pooling and running on the floor around the sink. I immediately shut off the connection and drained the pipes. I then had to rip the panel off so I can access the water pump (it's under the sink).

The strange part is that I cannot duplicate the leak. I'm reconnected and running water, waiting to see where the leak originated from.

Any thoughts? Where would be the most likely spot this leak could come from on the pump?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0385.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	130429  
Jordan.Gabriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #2

Probably the check valve in pump is bad and allowing flow into freshwater tank which is overflowing, I have had this problem before
Sometimes if you run the pump it will seal again.
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Was this leak by any chance connected to your water heater leak in your other post?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:38 PM   #4

Thanks for the feedback - the freshwater tank is showing empty and the leak appears to be coming from around this gauge. Is that the check valve?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0386.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	130432  
Old 02-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #5
Always Learning

That's some kind of filter.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
That's some kind of filter.
Correct, it is the pump's intake screened filter to help trap any debris coming from the fresh tank to save from damaging the pump. The pipes/hoses simply screw on to the screen (hand tight) and the housing either screws into the pump or it may have a threaded swivel connection too. Check to see if they are tight. The clear plastic bowl also is removable and it usually is just a 1/4 turn or so to remove. Make sure it is seated and most have some kind of o-ring seal there.

If water is coming out of the screen/hoses when hooked to city water, it is very likely the pumps' internal check valve is leaking. It is built into the pump. (you cant see it) The check valve is there to keep the city water from back-flowing into your fresh tank as the two systems (city water/pump) are separate but common within the plumbing. You typically won't use the on-board pump when connected to city water.

You might try as suggested to turn off city water at spigot, relieve pressure at a faucet, turn on pump, run and cycle water a few times at a faucet, turn off pump, open faucet to relieve pressure and finally, reopen city water spigot.

In any case (using pump/city water) there shouldn't be water leaking there and you are going to have to rectify that first.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #7

I had one in the same spot last trip. It was leaking at the pump where the braided outline connected back to the pex. I tried new gaskets but the leak resurfaced. I went to Lowes today and got 1' of 1/2" braided tubing and 2 new 1/2" connections having brass centers. I made up my hose and testes it, so far no leak. This is the hose I replaced.Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1487803410.402144.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	344.1 KB
ID:	130439
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #8

Appreciate the feedback!

@5picker and everyone else: thank's a bunch for the direction! I'll check the filter/gauge and go from there. Hopefully will be posting a "fixed" soon. Cheers!
Old 02-22-2017, 07:10 PM   #9

Need a work around

I'll be connected to city water for some time and won't need the pump. Can I simply remove the intake and outtake hose and then install a fixture to connect them, essentially bypassing the pump?
Old 02-22-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan.Gabriel View Post
I'll be connected to city water for some time and won't need the pump. Can I simply remove the intake and outtake hose and then install a fixture to connect them, essentially bypassing the pump?
No because then the city water will backfill your fresh water tank to the point water will run out the fill port or worse, swell the tank and cause damage.

You could put a plug or shut off valve in the line on the output side of the pump to essentially perform the same as the pump's internal check valve. Many folks do this when the can't get the pump's check valve to clear or seal rather than replacing/repairing the pump.

Old 02-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #11

Fixed!

[QUOTE=5picker;1427708]Correct, it is the pump's intake screened filter to help trap any debris coming from the fresh tank to save from damaging the pump. The pipes/hoses simply screw on to the screen (hand tight) and the housing either screws into the pump or it may have a threaded swivel connection too. Check to see if they are tight. The clear plastic bowl also is removable and it usually is just a 1/4 turn or so to remove. Make sure it is seated and most have some kind of o-ring seal there.

If water is coming out of the screen/hoses when hooked to city water, it is very likely the pumps' internal check valve is leaking. It is built into the pump. (you cant see it) The check valve is there to keep the city water from back-flowing into your fresh tank as the two systems (city water/pump) are separate but common within the plumbing. You typically won't use the on-board pump when connected to city water.

You might try as suggested to turn off city water at spigot, relieve pressure at a faucet, turn on pump, run and cycle water a few times at a faucet, turn off pump, open faucet to relieve pressure and finally, reopen city water spigot.

In any case (using pump/city water) there shouldn't be water leaking there and you are going to have to rectify that first.[/QUOTE

This morning I followed these steps sequentially (Re-attached filter, intake and outtake, then the trouble shooting process to relieve pressure and reset seal) and it appears to have worked. It's been about 4 hours without a leak. Thanks to 5picker and the whole community for saving me time and money!

I think I'm going to splice a stop valve on the output end for an additional safeguard because my confidence in the pump is low. The theory is that you close the valve when you're not using water to stop any back flow into the water pump?
Old 02-23-2017, 07:32 PM   #12
Pickin', Campin', Mason

The theory really is to close the valve anytime you are connected to city water. It is the pressure from the city water that causes the water to back flow through the pump's weak/damaged check valve. Close the valve (isolating the pump and fresh water tank) and use city water as normal. No need to turn off city water either when you are not drawing water in the camper.

You would open it when you wanted to use the pump to draw water from your fresh tank. If you didn't, no water would get to anything in the camper.

Old 02-24-2017, 07:48 PM   #13

Makes sense

OK that makes perfect sense now. I thought the Y connect happened before the pump so all water, city included, runs through it.

Tags
leak, pump, water, water pump