Old 04-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagecoachdriver View Post
Why only one low point drain, Red with black cap? Blue is FW tank drain.
Two weeks ago after dewinterizing, I had the same experience. Water pump ran for 5 minutes so I turned if off. I then did a complete check of the water system and realized I forgot to put the caps back on. So I put the caps back on and all was back to normal. This is the first, and last time I don't use my paper check list. It's so easy to forget a step even if you've don't it several times before.

Old 04-04-2016, 02:45 PM   #12

Not sure about your pump. Some pumps have a pressure relief valve bypass intended to prevent pump damage. If the pump pressure is exceeded, it returns the fluid to the source. If your pump has this safety, it was merely returning the water to the FWT.

Old 04-04-2016, 08:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenJoe View Post
Not sure about your pump. Some pumps have a pressure relief valve bypass intended to prevent pump damage. If the pump pressure is exceeded, it returns the fluid to the source. If your pump has this safety, it was merely returning the water to the FWT.
Have NEVER seen a F/R unit with a FW Pump plumbed the way you describe! Youroo!!
Old 04-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #14

My 2011 Georgetown just went into storage for a month and, with predicted low temperatures in NE Ohio, I needed to winterize it again. I followed my normal winterize procedure; drain water from tanks, blow out the water lines, fill drains with antifreeze and add some to the waste tanks to prevent the valves from freezing.

The only area this doesn't protect is the water pump. To protect that, I remove the water filter and reinstall the housing, set the valves for winterizing, then suck enough antifreeze through the system to half fill the housing. The housing contents are then dumped. This last step fills the low point of the water intake line and the pump impeller housing with antifreeze which prevents freezing in this area. When I dewinterize, I repeat this process with a jug of water to flush out the small amount of antifreeze that's in this part of the water system.

I've been doing this since 2011 when the unit was new and have never had any problems with freezing or trouble with the fresh water system.

Phil
Old 04-07-2016, 09:52 PM   #15

No more problems with it!

Spent 5 days in Yosemite and never had a problem with the pump. Came on and off when should. Must have been air as it sputtered thru the hot water until I purged it the first day.
Sagecoachdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:56 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Good to hear. With mine it was a grain of sand... So it does not take much sometimes. Glad that all was well, however.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #17

I had the same problem and found a small crack in the water pump housing. This has happened to me twice after winterizing in the fall and opening the trailer in the spring. All I have ever used the pump for is to run the pink antifreeze into the lines to winterize it. I think I may have to loosen the fitting on the output side of the pump to make sure I get the pink anti-freeze out of the pump over the winter. All I can think is happening is the pink stuff expands and causes the cracks in the housings.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:09 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaxle View Post
I had the same problem and found a small crack in the water pump housing. This has happened to me twice after winterizing in the fall and opening the trailer in the spring. All I have ever used the pump for is to run the pink antifreeze into the lines to winterize it. I think I may have to loosen the fitting on the output side of the pump to make sure I get the pink anti-freeze out of the pump over the winter. All I can think is happening is the pink stuff expands and causes the cracks in the housings.
The pink stuff freezes at a VERY low temp but I believe it will not expand when it freezes. If there is ANY water left in the pump it will expand. It also could just be to cold I guess and causes the housing to break.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #19

An RV dealer here in northern mi said it will like water does. A few years ago it got super cold and a ton of folks had their water filter housings crack. He said that after you winterize you should drain the filter housing. I'm thinking I may have to do the same with my water pump. I've had two of them crack in the same exact place. Like I said I have never ran water through it either just the pink anti-freeze.

Tags
pump, water, water pump