Old 06-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #1
Water pump trouble

I have a 2013 Salem 26 TBUD. I cannot get my pump from the freshwater tank to prime. Minimal cold water will sputter out of the faucets. No hot water will come out. Pump runs continuously. When I hooked a hose to the inlet and placed it in a jug of water, the pump primed, shut off, and operated as it should. I blew air through the hose running into my freshwater tank in case that was plugged. Freshwater tank is all the way full. Any suggestions of what to try next?

oldgoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Team
Some units have an apparatus through which antifreeze is sucked into the system during the winterization process. Sometimes your situation arises when the valve on that antifreeze suction system is left OPEN. That causes the pump to suck air through that system. IF you have this equipment, make sure the valve is off.

Also, this problem might be caused if the connections at the pump are loose - as from loosing to purge water from the pump during winterization.

SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:52 PM   #3
Do not turn on the switches for hot water until you resolve the problem and are sure there is water in the water heater tank.

X2 on the anti freeze valve.

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
Nights camping in 2016: 19 nights
Miles traveled in 2016: 2,575
uhduh camping is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
I don't have that antifreeze setup on mine. I put a 3 foot long hose on the inlet side of the pump and place the hose in the antifreeze jug to suck it out. I'm going to buy a new fitting tomorrow to replace the one that attaches the inlet hose to the pump tomorrow. That's the only fitting I can see between my tank and the pump.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:43 PM   #5
water pump issue

We camped all of last weekend. I filled a 6 gallon water can and ran a hose from the pump to the can. Everything worked fine, but I still haven't figured out why it won't suck water out of my freshwater tank. I'd rather not have a can of water sitting in the camper.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:50 PM   #6
1. your tank is not full .is it gravity fill ? if so make sure the vent is clear if it's clogged it can prevent the tank from filling and you will get water splashing back out the fill as if it is full .
2.the fitting on the tank is loose enough to allow air in but not water to leak out.
3. you have another air leak somewhere .
4 your just not giving it enough time
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #7
You mentioned that you blew air through the fresh water suction hose in case it was blocked. Did you hear air bubbles from the tank?

If the tank is truly full (hopefully you know that for a fact) there should have been air bubbles and/or sloshing out the vent or fill port when you blew air through the hose because the pump suction is either on the bottom of the tank or close to the bottom.

If no air bubbles, then possibly a mouse chewed a hole through the suction hose or it has somehow become disconnected or kinked.
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Sounds like air is being allowed into the hose between the tank and pump. Sucking air somewhere along the line.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:53 PM   #9
Site Team
If it has never worked properly it could be a restriction in the siphon hose from being pinched by a frame member.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
It did work fine last year, and I'm sure the tank is full. When I blew through it, I did hear gurgling, bubbles, etc. Sounds like it must be that hose having a hole from either mice or from rubbing on something. Is that something a guy can replace from above without dropping the tank, or is better left to a professional?

pump, water, water pump