Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2019, 03:58 PM   #1

Water pump winterizing

I did a complete winterization on my rig last season. Question is; where is the check valve for the water pump? I did not use my fresh water tank or pump this last season (only city hookup) so do I have to re-winterize pump with antifreeze? I plan to use compressed air this next time
adamssmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #2

I can only answer for my camper and it has a hose that allows me to use the pump to winterize my camper. I tried using the compressed air method 4 years ago on a different camper and did not get all of the water out of the commode. So when I de-winterized that camper the valve on the commode was busted from freezing. So i had to replace it. I then started using the antifreeze method and I have not had any problems since. We also have a Wash/Dryer in our 5th wheel so this is another reason to use anti-freeze. If you use the compressed air then you might forget somthing like I did and have to fix it before you go camping again. It takes me about 8 gal of antifreeze to winterize my camper but i consider this money well spent. I hope that this helps you. Happy Camping.....

Freddie & Linda
2015 FR Sierra 330RLS & 2003 Dodge 2500 4X4 Diesel
TMPS for Camper & TV
Dakota EV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #3

If you had your pump/fresh water tank system winterized with anti freeze and have not used it since and only ran on city water you should be OK.. If you have any doubts then I would winterize it again... If you’re trailer is equipped with a antifreeze inlet it’s pretty simple, just hook up a hose to it, stick it in the antifreeze and turn the pump on... If not then take the fresh water pick up off your fresh water tank and stick it in anti freeze and turn the pump on...

Ive been using air for 2 seasons without issue... You can’t just hook up the air compressor and open all the outlets... You need to be sure you get the pressure up to 40 psi, do each hot and cold water outlet individually until no water comes out and wait between each outlet to assure the air pressure recovers back to 40 psi...
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:05 PM   #4

Thanks. I have successfully winterized using the antifreeze method and have a hookup for it on my pump inlet. It just a shame that drawings and little items like location of that check valve arent available. I agree with your analysis that if tank or pump are not used that the antifreeze should be in the outlet line of the pump at least to the check valve
adamssmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump, winter