Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #1

Water Pump Wont Work

I couldn't find a thread about this although I am sure there is one somewhere, however, Ive been filling up my freshwater tank and running my pump due to the fact that my city water pressure is very poor where I am at. It worked great for about 2 months and all of the sudden the pump will only run for about a minute and then shuts off which makes for very short showers. The tank is full, the pump has electricity going to it, no fuses are popped, but the pump is warm to the touch and I am thinking that its just overheating. Why would this be happening and how can I remedy it. I was thinking about getting the shurflo Extreme Series Smart Sensor™ 5.7 pump, but wanted some input first. I dont want to have the same issues with a 200 dollar pump.
ButchAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Without a lot of testing, it seems you are right on. It is overheating and shutting down IMO. As to why, is your city water still hooked up?

If so maybe the pump is pushing against the incoming low pressure. Only check valves prevent that from happening. You should not run the pump with city hooked up. Theoretically, it should never run since the pressure is higher than the pump cut out pressure; but if it is trying to pump against the low city pressure, it might run and overheat.

It could also be the windings. Thus a new pump in your future.
They do go bad.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #3

Ok, city water is still hooked up, but even when I shut it off it does the same thing. I am going to see if maybe my filter needs changed. I was thinking that if was clogged it might be creating to much resistance for the pump to overcome without overheating. If this does not work, and I need a new pump. Does anyone have any input on well built, higher pressure pumps.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #4

How warm is the pump when it shuts off?
Are we talking hot or just a little warm?
And I can't think that the city water pressur is that low. Most cities run more than 50 PSI and if you are saying that you do not get enough pressure with the city turned on, I am suspecting some other problem.
By the way, ALWAYS put a pressure control valve between the city hook up and the unit. I don't remember them costing much at Camping World.
I have seen some private parks near 100 PSI!

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Next step is to remove the filter. Drain the water from the system first. Be sure to turn off the water heater. I put a home center cartridge in last time and it clogged in 2 weeks to the point I had no pressure at all. Running without one right now. I will make a filter that uses a wally world blue in line filter for campground water use. Easier to change (mine is impossible without a mess).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 04:00 PM   #6

I had a pressure control valve, took it off because I thought that was one of the issues with the pressure, thats a differant problem all in itself, hooked up a 100Lb gauge all it was getting was 7-8psi. Back to the pump, changed the filter out, went longer without cutting out, but it still overheated and cut out. Took off the strainer and cleaned that out. Didnt change anything. Im thinking I just need a new pump. There is no reason for it to overheat in 1-2 minutes of use. O and its pretty hot, not just warm, cant even touch that steel plate in he back.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 PM   #7

If you have plenty of pressure in the house then you should have plenty going into the trailer.
I am thinking there is a block of some sort causing this problem.
How did you arrive at 7 to 8 PSI and where were you measuring from and to?

2015 Silverado High Country.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:01 AM   #8

Im not at my house, I work a 28 days on 14 days off schedule, during my 28 days on, I live out of my RV. I rent my lot at a mobile home park. I measured the pressure where I hook up my water hose at the campgrounds end. Everyone here complains of low pressure. I have braught it to the attention of the landlord, but quite frankly, he's stupid and doesn't understand how to fix it, nor has the want-to to try.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
camping

have you cleaned/checked all your aerators, are you using a screen on the hose to fill up. on our previous trailer the kitchen faucet got so full of debris water stopped flowing, cleaned the aerator and all was good. we now use hose washers with screens to help filter our debris.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM   #10

IMHO If its that hot your pump motor is shot. Either bearings or windings
rick_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:44 PM   #11

Ya, I cleaned all the aerators, to be honest they all looked pretty good, even with them out the pressure sucks. Just ordered a new pump. I got a feeling rick is right, because when the pump runs, the pressure is great, it just overheats and shuts off and I dont even know what Im looking at when I tear down a pump. Gonna tear this one down and see if I can learn something after I get the new one installed.