Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2010, 03:00 PM   #1

Water Pur filter

Can anyone recommend an alternative replacement filter for a WaterPur CCI-10-CLW? I hate the idea of spending $30 on one if there is another one cheaper that's just as good.
madkaw71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:05 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I just spent $25 at Lowe's for filter to fit my unit. I agree, it is a lot of money.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 03:07 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

If you do an on-line search, you can find them relatively cheap. Much cheaper than the big box rip off stores.
wnytaxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #4

Yeah, I just took the proverbial "kick in the beets" getting a filter. I have decided that I am going to get one of the whole house fillters (like I have on the water supply in my home) that has a built in bypass (that will be nice when winterizing) and the replacement filters are about $15.00 for a pair.
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

There's lots of generic brand filters available that will fit that canister for way under $10. Just make sure that its the same dimensions and has the same gasket/sealing arrangement.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #6

My filters

I decided to create a filter and pressure regulator in a case that I could move from one RV to the next. It has the household type filters with carbon for taste and micron filter for contaminates as well as an adjustable house-type regulator with gauge that all fits into a case I bought at Container Store. I have a short hose that connects it to the city water connection on the RV. It just sits on the ground when hooked up and stows when not. I attached a couple of photos. Never done it before so I hope they show up After I took these photos, I put quick connects on each end and on the hoses.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV water filters 01s.jpg
Views:	1700
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	2290   Click image for larger version

Name:	RV water filters 02s.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	2291  
doctort44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:48 PM   #7

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

Never used them but I might be ordering replacement filters from them from now on.

Mike and Donna
South Central Pennsylvania

2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (gas)
2009 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
(Since June 3,
2008)
Mikesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesr View Post
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

Never used them but I might be ordering replacement filters from them from now on.
These are the folks that I bought all my parts from for my filter box.
Old 03-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #9
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Nice case

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I just spent $25 at Lowe's for filter to fit my unit. I agree, it is a lot of money.
Heaven help those that quote themselves.

I installed the water filter from Lowe's, and soon removed it. It restricted the flow so much that the missus or I either 1 could stand it. And of course I had thrown the label away so that I can't get a refund. $25 down the tubes. I think I am just going to leave the in-house filter canister empty, and use an inline filter at the hydrant.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctort44 View Post
I decided to create a filter and pressure regulator in a case that I could move from one RV to the next. It has the household type filters with carbon for taste and micron filter for contaminates as well as an adjustable house-type regulator with gauge that all fits into a case I bought at Container Store. I have a short hose that connects it to the city water connection on the RV. It just sits on the ground when hooked up and stows when not. I attached a couple of photos. Never done it before so I hope they show up After I took these photos, I put quick connects on each end and on the hoses.
I Hate to HighJack this But I Like That Design
Buford445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford445 View Post
I Hate to HighJack this But I Like That Design
Thanks... easy to put together. Got the case at Container Store and the rest from that RV Water Filter guy that sells on-line.
Old 03-22-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
Site Team

Listen to Dave!!
Just go to WalMart, Lowes, Home Debit, or your local hardware store
and get a generic filter cartridge.
You can get a 2 pack replacements that catch sediment and odor
for under $10!!
Just look for charcoal in the description and your good to go.
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #14

Go to home depot or lowes and choose what protection your looking for. The basic sediment/ oder is about $10.00 for twin pack.
michael t cayouette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #15

I'm gonna try a filter from the depot. Thanks for all the feedback and I'll post my results.
madkaw71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:39 AM   #16

Doctort44,
Nice set up. Great idea.

Madcaw71,
I think I bought filters at Lowes for about $18 each.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:22 PM   #17

A little follow up here. I was NOT going to pay $50.00 for a single filter cartridge from the RV store, especially since I could get a whole filter assembly, with a built in bypass valve including a new filter for the same price from our local Canadian Tire store. What I ended up doing was buying a couple of extra Rainfresh CF3-8 cartridges (at $7.99 for a package of 2) which are the same as what I use on my house, and it turns out that they fit perfectly in the Water Pur filter. Problem now solved!
Tow Vehicle: '92 F350, Crew Cab, 4X4, Cummins 5.9 24 Valve, 6spd.Driver:Clint, Navigator:Melanie, 1 dog (Great Pyrenees/Akbash cross) and now a cat too. Mission Statement: Just another adventure! Towed vehicle:2009 Roo 19 with lots of mods!
cmcct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #18

Water leak - could it be the WaterPur filter system?

We have a 2001 Forest River Salem FK26. We've had it for a couple of years now and just attempted to go on a short trip (only our 3rd time using the trailer). I'll start out by saying that the trailer was not "winterized" before this past winter and the temp got down to 7 degrees for a few days last December, and we had many evenings below freezing. Up to now, the couple of times we've used the trailer we didn't experience any problems with the water or pipes, filtration, etc., until our recent trip this week, that we had to cut short.

Anyway, we arrived at the RV park and hubby starting hooking up the water, electricity, etc. He could not get any water to run through the interior faucets (kitchen/bathroom sinks, shower, toilet). The water would only leak/run out from the outside hook up site on the trailer onto the ground, and then eventually started to leak inside the trailer next to the bed in the bedroom, along the carpet adjacent to the shower and bathroom sink area, and into the living room below the sofa (all these areas are located on the same side of the trailer. Additionally, hubby didn't use the leveling jacks because he said since we were parked on a level concrete slab we didn't need to level the trailer or use the jacks (even though just turning over in bed made it feel like we were having an earthquake in the trailer. But I digress.....

Because we couldn't get any interior water, we went home the next morning and cancelled the remainder of our travel plans.

While airing out the trailer so the wet carpet areas could dry, I opened the lower nightstand cabinet next to the bed because the carpet in front of the cabinet was wet. I discovered a glass-like vase lying on its side, that was broken off at the top where it attached to some pipes. We'd never seen this object before as I guess we'd never accessed the lower cabinet before this. The glass object says WaterPur on it with a model number. Today we went to our local RV dealer and puchased a replacement and filter ($37 for both). The dealer says this broken container is what caused our leak problems and no interior water.

Hubby is planning on installing the new WaterPur plus filter tomorrow.

Was this broken glass filter container (didn't have a filter inside), plus not winterizing the water lines, the cause of our problems?

Can anyone please explain in layman terms, what we must do at the end of each season to "winterize" our trailer so we don't experience broken lines, etc. again? What do we do in the fall, and what do we do in the spring when we want to use the trailer again.

We do get many below freezing temps at night as we live in So. Oregon.

Thanks for your suggestions. As you can tell, we're not experienced RVrs ... yet, and still have a lot to learn.
RgeRivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

The broken filter "housing" most definately caused your water leaks/lack of interior water. All water passes thru that housing regardless if there was a filter installed or not. Once that water froze & broke the housing, the water wouldn't go any further in the plumbing & just ran onto the floor.

Putting it simply, winterizing is draining as much water from each water circuit and circulating RV antifreeze thru until the pink water flows from each tap, toilet and shower head.

In the spring you have to flush the antifreeze from the system w/ fresh water, then sanitize w/ a bleach solution. Then you'll be good to go for the season.

That's the short version. I'm pretty sure someone will post a detailed version. Is there a manual for your TT? My manual has the instructions. Talk to your dealer or experienced RVing friends. They should be able to help you.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #20
CampeRooo

Just a quick note about something I heard this from my RV service department manager the other day when I was shopping for other things....

He was telling a customer, "Now you want to be careful if you are filtering out everything, including chlorine, from your water at the water source instead of the faucet because what happens is that water sits in the line all day (assuming hot weather) and it can lead to some growth in the line or a change in taste and you will want to run the faucet a while before getting a drink."

His recommendation was to filter the drinking water faucet only since that would make the most difference in your comfort with the local water supply. The shower and toilet water don't necessarily need a stronger filtration since it's not being ingested (that applies to most of us I think ). Just something to think about while shopping for your next filtration system. With that in mind, I'm shopping around for an under-sink filtration unit for my kitchen sink since that's where 99% of my drinking water comes from (the other 1% being bottled water). Then i'll only have to run the water long enough to flush the filter, not the entire line. That will make a big difference in the supply longevity when I'm pulling from the fresh water tank instead of the hose supply.

Made me think twice before i bought the replacement filters for the canister that came stock in my Roo.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote