Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 08-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #11

AHHH...I see said the blind man......

Straight from the manufacturer, this clear cylinder was SO TIGHT on my manifold that I ripped the entire unit off the wall (pulled out the screws) just trying to get it open so I could put the filter into it. I have a feeling whatever tab was or might have been in there must have gotten broken off at that time. Sure would have been nice for Forest River to have provided some sort of instructions with the unit other than just providing the wrench and filter ;-)

Needless to say, this would confirm that removing the entire unit from inside my rig was most likely a smart thing to do and minimize the risk of future leaks.

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:01 AM   #12

Water Filtration

This will take you to the location for purchase of filters.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:33 PM   #13

BTW...Forest River was bang up on this issue and reached out to ensure I have a fully functional device. I respectfully declined because I do not want another similar device inside and will be just ducky with an external independent filter instead.

In case anyone is interested, the follow-up did include the following warning, this is directly quoted from my FR reply:

"My manager did want me to mention that we do have the FR1 housings tested at a 500psi level before this part goes to our production lines and if the lid is not properly tighten, the housing would perform as it did to you over the weekend. The canister needs to be ratcheted all the way to prevent issues like this from occurring. I myself cannot tighten the lid on the canister alone; it does require some force to secure. "

As I wrote earlier...the torque required to actually open this filter housing was extreme in my opinion (and I am not a weakling....I know about valve torque specs) and when I re-installed the housing with the filter in place, there was NO WAY any additional force could have been applied to tightening it...it was as secure as it possibly could be. I have a feeling the el'cheapo in-line pressure regulator I was using may have let a pressure excursion enter my rig causing the filter housing to pop itself open. I will be searching for a new (better) pressure regulator before my next outing that is for sure!
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
Old 08-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #14
2012 Solera

Implication is you cannot take the filter element out to sanitize ??? Anyone who has removed filter element to sanitize has broken his filter housing?
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 01:36 PM   #15
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebemis View Post
BTW...Forest River was bang up on this issue and reached out to ensure I have a fully functional device. I respectfully declined because I do not want another similar device inside and will be just ducky with an external independent filter instead.

In case anyone is interested, the follow-up did include the following warning, this is directly quoted from my FR reply:

"My manager did want me to mention that we do have the FR1 housings tested at a 500psi level before this part goes to our production lines and if the lid is not properly tighten, the housing would perform as it did to you over the weekend. The canister needs to be ratcheted all the way to prevent issues like this from occurring. I myself cannot tighten the lid on the canister alone; it does require some force to secure. "

As I wrote earlier...the torque required to actually open this filter housing was extreme in my opinion (and I am not a weakling....I know about valve torque specs) and when I re-installed the housing with the filter in place, there was NO WAY any additional force could have been applied to tightening it...it was as secure as it possibly could be. I have a feeling the el'cheapo in-line pressure regulator I was using may have let a pressure excursion enter my rig causing the filter housing to pop itself open. I will be searching for a new (better) pressure regulator before my next outing that is for sure!
Did you relieve the pressure off of the filter assembly by bleeding of water at one of the faucets. After I take the pressure away mine screws off easy.
Camped in 2013 110 Final!!
Camped in 2014 83 Nights, 33 More reserved!
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #16

I released pressure, and unfortunately there wasn't anything easy about getting it off at all...I am thinking perhaps something was just up with the unit installed to my rig...in either case it has been removed and I will use an external filter instead to avoid any possible leaks inside.

2013 Rockwood Roo 233S