Forest River Forums
Sunline User Photos

Old 07-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #1
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Water Pur FR-1 Water Filter

I am posting this for a friend that couldnt.
Water Filter Update: WaterPur Model FR-1. When tightening the bottom canister to the upper housing, only tighten snugly until you feel or hear the catches "click" twice! Warning: Over-tightening will cause you to shear off the plastic catches that are molded into the upper housing rendering your water filter housing that is mounted onto your RV USELESS and it will have to be replaced! Contrary to the other style of RV water filters, including those sold by WaterPur, you CANNOT use this filtering system without the correct filter properly installed or the bottom canister will insert itself too far up in the housing shearing off those plastic tabs. The person I talked to is one of the engineers of this FR-1 and he thanked me for giving him this insight because they had no idea that WaterPur themselves were telling people to tighten down; "turn 180 degrees more after initial contact." This "catch-system" was designed to prevent water filters from coming loose while in transit.

Camped in 2013 110 Final!!
Camped in 2014 96 Nights, 21 More reserved!
SYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #2

Hi, could you please ask your friend where they got replacement filters. The sticker on the canister has a contact at forest river on there I know. The dealer where we got our unit says they have replacements that fit but are not waterpur brand. I looked at other filters at Home Depot and the like but nothing was the same and could find nowhere on the web that carried them. Even direct from waterpur. Just curious. Thanks

5erDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365saq owner View Post
Hi, could you please ask your friend where they got replacement filters. The sticker on the canister has a contact at forest river on there I know. The dealer where we got our unit says they have replacements that fit but are not waterpur brand. I looked at other filters at Home Depot and the like but nothing was the same and could find nowhere on the web that carried them. Even direct from waterpur. Just curious. Thanks
I will ask him and let you know
Old 07-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 365saq owner View Post
I get mine from Home Depot. Although Waterpur will tell you they will not fit, they are exactly the same size. I bought 2 filters for around $12. I think Waterpur wants around $40 for 1. It's a sediment and charcoal filter that has a good flow rate.
AquaMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #5
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I just got off of the phone with Water Pur and they said that the only place to buy the filter is from Forest River. Aftermarkets will not work due to a gasket size. There should be a 800 number on the canister
Old 07-29-2013, 12:55 PM   #6

Just got off the phone with my local FR dealer who tried to order the replacement cartridges (KW-1). FR does not list a part number for the dealers to order yet. He got on the horn with FR and was able to order 2. Retail is $29 plus. I am thinking about replacing the whole unit with a Home Depot or Lowes unit. This unit is made excusively for FR
eshenderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

That is what a lot of people are doing because of the availability of this filter
Old 07-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
Berkshire 390QS

We get ours at Lowes, took in old and matched up the size, make sure you get the same interior size hole, more than have the cost of getting them from water pur.
2014: AZ/CA/NV 75 days, CO 21 days
More planned MN/MI/IN/WI 100 + days
2009 Berkshire, 390QS, and toad
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

WOW....yesterday I removed this FR-1 water filter from my rig and am now feeling even better about having done so!

This weekend at about 3:15AM I was awoken by a knock from under our ROO 233S front bunk and subsequent rushing water. I drug myself outside thinking the water hose broke from the side of my rig and water was spraying from hose....not so, by the time I got back to the door I was mildly upset to find a growing puddle of water rapidly consuming the front half of my less than a year old rig!

Turns out, somehow and I have no idea how....the water filter cylinder (clear part) actually "opened" a 1/4 turn or so all on its own and was flushing water out itself right into to cabinet it was mounted in. After getting the water supply isolated and drying up as much as we could, I couldn't manage to get the cylinder to remount, as I would turn it to tighten, snug it up just fine, but when trying to add the extra small tweek to ensure it was tight, the cylinder would turn about 1/8 at best and then spring back on its own to the leaking point......

Went the rest of the weekend with no water supply and as soon as I got home I took this piece of junk out of my rig and simply spliced in a short section of PEX (with the proper joint and clamp rings) and did away with such a major high risk leaking device INSIDE my trailer.

Once I find the right external filter, I will simply use one outside before connecting to my rig. I understand limiting weight and cost, but question how anyone could consider an engineered solution of this sort that did NOT have some sort of water spill isolation included....even a simple plastic catch bin or bucket with a drain out the side or bottom would make SO MUCH MORE SENSE!
2013 Rockwood Roo 233S
ebemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:55 PM   #10
SYE
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

From what the guy from water pur showed me on this type of enclosure there is only 1 filter that works in this and you can only buy it from forest river. What happens when you use one that us a close fit , you over tighten it breaking off the plastic locking tabs letting the plastic part unscrew under pressure