Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #1

water question

OK, i just pulled my new fifth wheel into the drive and I need to prep for our first trip. My guess is I should sanitize the water system. Any thing else?
farfetched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #2

This reminds me of BeetleJuice (the movie). You did read The Handbook didn't you??? Just do what it says in there.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

I just sanitized my water system, but I'm still somewhat confused! I have two connections to add water. The first connection says "city water connection" and the second is just an opening that tells me I can only use potable water, but it also says "non pressure water", which I assume means you cannot hook up the hose to it.

I tried to fill the water tank through the "city water connection" and I could not make it happen. I assumed I was doing something wrong, but after 45 minutes give up on trying to fill the tank to the city water connection and just filled the tank through the potable water opening.

Did I do something wrong? Am I supposed to fill the water tank through the potable water opening and only use the city water connection if I'm at a campsite that has water?

Sorry for the stupid question, but I read through the owners manual and it did not give me anything valuable and since this is the first time ever ever owned a camper, I feel kind of clueless
Hornswoggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #4

Yes you did it right the opening with the cap that say potable water only is where you fill the tank. The one that says city water is for when you will have constant water and there is no need for the tank.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #5

Okay...would my assumptions be correct, if I assumed that the city water connection is a closed system and that it will only supply water and water pressure when I open one of the faucets?

When the system is closed (i. e. all faucets are closed) there will be no water going in to the camper and/or fresh water tank?

The reason I ask is when I hooked up the hose to the city water connection (assuming I could fill the freshwater tank through this connection) I could not feel any water going through the hose.

If I would've turned on one of the faucets, it would've pulled water through the city water connection and I would've had running water and then maybe I wouldn't have had to ask this question :-).

I am glad I sanitized the freshwater system and then emptied the gray water system, because I realized after opening the cap to the drain that the dealer did not have the gray water valve or blackwater valves closed and I got completely drenched because of the back pressure. I'm obviously very happy that this is a brand-new camper and there is nothing but clean water coming out :-)

It has been a fun morning! I've been messing around with this for hours. Better off that it's in my driveway and not at a campsite

Thanks again for your help!
Old 05-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #6
Denver, CO

Have fun, and we all have a learning curve with each new trailer we get. My current unit is different than my last one and I had to ask some questions here to figure it out.

I been camping and boating for 40 years and still learn a lot by being on this forum and making mistakes.
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM   #7

You are correct you can not fill the fresh water tank from the city water connection. The tank is only used with the water pump & only when camping where there is no fresh water available....... No dumb questions we all have to learn somehow. We rarely use our fresh water tank as we nearly always go to campgrounds of which have at least water & electric.

Also don't know what camper you have but often there are 2 grey water tanks & 1 black water tank......

Good Luck & Enjoy

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 PM   #8

I do have 2 gray and 1 black. I only have 1 value for the gray water tanks
Old 05-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #9

Also if you are hooked up to city water turn off your water pump and if you are running off of your water tank turn it on. You may want to make sure that your water heater is not in bypass mode and don't turn it on until its full of water.

Have fun camping
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:38 PM   #10

I don't know how to put my water heater in bypass mode yet.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #11

look at where your water heater is and in behind mine are 3 valves and a diagram of how to put it in bypass mode for winterizing and take it out of bypass mode for using in camping season.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote