Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #1

Water restrictor

We have a 2015 Coachman. Do we need a water pressure reducer when incoming water is at 70 psi?

Always Prazing
Linda
Prazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Site Team

I ( and most members here) recommend a pressure regulator when ever on city water. It is important to use a regulator and not a reducer as they restrict flow to reduce pressure, but once flow stops the full pedestal pressure is presented to your system.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:34 AM   #3

70pis is getting kind of high I run a pressure regulator on my incoming city water and have it set at 40 pis. I would recommend you put on some kind of regulator. Fybob makes a very valid point with pressure after flow stops.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Pressure for all RV’s should be between 40-50 psi. The real question back is why wouldn’t you always use a water regulator?
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
Pressure for all RV’s should be between 40-50 psi. The real question back is why wouldn’t you always use a water regulator?
I've seen many that never do. I use the cheap ones from Walmart, but I learned to always keep one or two on hand due to a hydrant at a local CG that for some reason, the pressure was so high, it blew out mine and the neighbors regulators, blew his in line water filter and ruptured his hose. We traded cell numbers and kept an eye on each others trailer for the entire week. Mentioned it to the park service, but never heard what caused it.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 10:17 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:

Because the cheap ones mess with water pressure. My family are a bunch of dang Wookiees and need all the help we can get when we wash our hair.

Before I got my good Watts water pressure regulator, I would be selective when I used it. Now, it’s mounted in my water bay and gets used 100% of the time.
Old 03-03-2018, 10:56 AM   #7

The best one I have found is the 55psi high flow. Doesn't mess with flow and is cheap also. Can be found at any CW or Walmart. As far as how much pressure is too much? Don't know, but it's higher than you think. The psi at my house is 75-80 and we don't use a regulator when hooked up at home as the psi doesn't fluctuate higher than that. Never any problems with any of the five RVs we have had at this location.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:02 AM   #8

I have yet to come across a CG with high water pressure. I always install the regulator just in case, but the pressure is always in the 40's at best.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:17 PM   #9

Quote:

When we purchased this unit at the dealership, nothing was ever stated concerning using a regulator. We were/are new. Unless advised otherwise. Why would we?? I think your attitude is wrong instead of being helpful, you are being hurtful.

Thank you all for the insight.

Always Prazing
Linda
Old 03-03-2018, 05:26 PM   #10

Prazer, the comments IMHO are helpful. A regulator is insurance, just as a surge suppressor or energy management system is. I use both a regulator and a surge suppressor as a precaution. My dealer where I bought my new camper mentioned neither, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Do as you wish, and the best of luck to you.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 05:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
Prazer, the comments IMHO are helpful. A regulator is insurance, just as a surge suppressor or energy management system is. I use both a regulator and a surge suppressor as a precaution. My dealer where I bought my new camper mentioned neither, but I’d rather be safe than sorry. Do as you wish, and the best of luck to you.

Thanks Joe. totally didn’t mean to come across that way of being hurtful. I have always taken that the regulator is basic equipment to always have.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post

I understand, but, what you don’t know, you don’t know. It was just this Last week a fellow camper mentioned this piece of equipment. We had never heard of this before. My questions are sincere and not just sarcastic. We NEED to know these things. . .

Always Prazing
Linda
Old 03-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #13

I didn’t take it as sarcastic. What I was meaning was no matter what the PSI.... 70 or 40.. I and most others user a regulator... always.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:13 PM   #14

In addition there are multiple posts as well as information on the Google Box of what the basics a new rv’er should have. Take some time to do some research, the dealer will only assume so much about what you already know. They usually want to make the sale and get you off the lot after the quick PDI.
Old 03-03-2018, 06:16 PM   #15

Linda, everybody doesn't use a regulator - it's one of those 'needs' for some, who feel they must try to protect every single thing that can ever possibly happen, and some that feel that it's so remote, it's not worth worrying about. The disagreement and discussion will never end if you let it...and there is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

Some will admit that they have been 'saved' by a regulator when at an rv park or campground that had overly high water pressure, and some will admit that they've never seen an rv park or campground with high enough water pressure to begin with.

Everybody has there own opinion. Do what you think is best for you.
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:21 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post
I have yet to come across a CG with high water pressure. I always install the regulator just in case, but the pressure is always in the 40's at best.
Make sure you have a regulator with you if you stay at the Desert red rose campground in Rawlings WY. Their wtr pressure is 95 psi. they warn you at check in about the pressure. I called them after reading your post to confirm my memory was correct. mentioning a regulator should be done every PDI. Linda this RVing is a learning process.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bshort View Post

I frequent a CG where every time I check in they state they have excessive pressure
Old 03-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prazer View Post
I understand, but, what you don’t know, you don’t know. It was just this Last week a fellow camper mentioned this piece of equipment. We had never heard of this before. My questions are sincere and not just sarcastic. We NEED to know these things. . .

We have been full time since Nov 2015. Guess there is still so much to learn. Thanks all for the info

Always Prazing
Linda
Old 03-03-2018, 07:01 PM   #19
Site Team

The beauty of this forum is that there are over 100,000 members and as such you will get a wide variety of opinions. There are some discussions where the majority of the members agree and there are some were the is universal disagreement. For the most part all posts are intended to be helpful. One area where most everyone will agree is you can not generally assume the dealer is putting your interest first. The beauty of the forum is you will see posts from members who have been camping for 20-30 years that will thank another member for a great new idea. Don't be afraid to ask questions, but do expect to receive a wide variety of responses.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
water