Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2016, 01:04 PM   #1

Water stinks in bathroom sink only

The water in my bathroom just reeks of rotten eggs. I have no issues with any of the other two sinks. The smell dissapates after running the water for several seconds but is still there. This is with both hot and cold. It doesn't matter if I'm on city or fresh water. I had issues with the hot water tank so that has been flushed too. Any suggestions? Thanks, Randy
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sanitize fw system
1/4 cup of bleach per 15 gallons of water

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #3

If you have a washer/dryer option installed and never use the washer, this may be your issue. I had the same stinky water on my SOB's bath faucet. The washer plumbing was T'd to the bathroom sink's plumbing. When I cracked open the washer faucet, it reeked of stale water. The smell went away after flushing the line, but came back a few months later. I capped the washer lines at the bathroom sink area as we never had interntions of a washer / dryer. Smell never returned.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:41 PM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
If you have a washer/dryer option installed and never use the washer, this may be your issue. I had the same stinky water on my SOB's bath faucet. The washer plumbing was T'd to the bathroom sink's plumbing. When I cracked open the washer faucet, it reeked of stale water. The smell went away after flushing the line, but came back a few months later. I capped the washer lines at the bathroom sink area as we never had interntions of a washer / dryer. Smell never returned.
Interesting. I'm having the same issue- rotten eggs smell with just my hot water tap in the bathroom.

We ran bleach through most things and it only knocked things back a little- we did NOT include the washer/dryer lines or water heater itself.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Include the wh

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 05-05-2016, 01:49 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Use this periodically.https://www.google.com/search?q=camc...&client=safari
We use it once a month

2008 2500hd Duramax
2015 Columbus 320RS
2016 nights camped "2"
2015 nights camped "34"
Old 05-05-2016, 02:24 PM   #7

Stinky bathroom sink water was / is pretty common on some Keystone products with what I described above. The rank water that just sits and sits in the washer line leaches into the bath sink faucet and "boy howdy" does it stink. Sanitizing the water lines is good practice, but doesn't help if you overlook an unused washer line. If you'll never use that line ... cap it and be done once and for all.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 02:56 PM   #8

Check under sink if you have an air admittance valve that could be defective....
Attached Images

Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #9

As said above, put bleach into hot water tank, as much as possible. I pour it into the drain on the HW tank. Fill it up with water, let sit for a day if possible, then run it through your water lines, including outside shower. Empty the tank, fill it up, drain and then fill it up again. Run fresh water through the water lines also. I would also recommend putting bleach into your water hose that you use for city water hook up.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 PM   #10
Dazed & Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
The water in my bathroom just reeks of rotten eggs. I have no issues with any of the other two sinks. The smell dissapates after running the water for several seconds but is still there. This is with both hot and cold. It doesn't matter if I'm on city or fresh water. I had issues with the hot water tank so that has been flushed too. Any suggestions? Thanks, Randy
Many times the rotten egg smell in hot water comes from a reaction with the anode in the heater. Here is an article on the problem: How to Fix Rotten Egg Smell in your Water
M&K Hoffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #11

Are you absolutely sure it's the water? Reason I ask is because there's a new type of one-way drain valve that sits in a horizontal position, probably close to the down pipe from the sink, that might be holding stagnant water and allowing smell to waft up the drain when you start running the hot/cold. Ignore if you have a p-trap under the sink. Isolate the fresh water in a cup so you can do a smell test. If the fresh water, hot or cold, is smelling, then I have nothing to add.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:

Since the sink stinks and not the tap water, I've had a similar, recurring problem. My unit has two Hepflo traps from England, instead of trapping a couple inches of water, this trap uses a flexible diaphragm to prevent backflo. After awhile scum builds up and prevents closure and gases are free to flow through the sink. Easy fix is about 5 oz's of straight bleach and allow to sit 15 minutes or more. Rinse sink with stopper closed and save until time to flush down drain. Works every time.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #13
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Are you absolutely sure it's the water? Reason I ask is because there's a new type of one-way drain valve that sits in a horizontal position, probably close to the down pipe from the sink, that might be holding stagnant water and allowing smell to waft up the drain when you start running the hot/cold. Ignore if you have a p-trap under the sink. Isolate the fresh water in a cup so you can do a smell test. If the fresh water, hot or cold, is smelling, then I have nothing to add.

Another way I've tested is plug the drain in the sink and add 1/2" of water. This stops any smells from coming up. THEN run the water for a bit- if it stinks, it's the water; if not, it's the drain.
Old 05-05-2016, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Check under sink if you have an air admittance valve that could be defective....
X2. Bet thats your problem if that valve is located in the cabinet under the bathroom sink.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:45 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
X2. Bet thats your problem if that valve is located in the cabinet under the bathroom sink.

I don't think the air vent would stop stinking by adding a small amount of water down the sink.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Since the sink stinks and not the tap water, I've had a similar, recurring problem. My unit has two Hepflo traps from England, instead of trapping a couple inches of water, this trap uses a flexible diaphragm to prevent backflo. After awhile scum builds up and prevents closure and gases are free to flow through the sink. Easy fix is about 5 oz's of straight bleach and allow to sit 15 minutes or more. Rinse sink with stopper closed and save until time to flush down drain. Works every time.

Mistake on valve mfg. it's made by HepvO in the UK. The valve does not live up to its claims. The unit in the shower allows heavy back flow and the sink requires cleaning every couple of months.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:34 AM   #17

fixing the stink

Go to home depot and purchase the PVC you need to replace the diaphragm with a regular p-trap. You lose some room, but loose the stink!
Old 05-06-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

remove your adenoid in your hot water tank and clean or replace it sounds like too much iron in the water. Make sure it's filled before you turn back on .
selkirk awards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 12:56 PM   #19

where are you maybe sulphur water i know years ago i used to get some out west
Old 05-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #20

Quote:
I had the same issue. Flush Atwood Water Heater twice until the water from the drain was crystal clear. Flushed hot and cold water supply lines to washer/dryer, which has not been used. Still had the smell out of the bathroom faucets. Removed sink U trap and whoa! finally found the source. The buildup in the u trap and small straight section of piping from sink drain contain a nasty buildup. I cleaned both sections with bleach solution and now no smell. I will definitely put this on my bi annual list of thing to do. Hopefully, this can provide assistance.
BBBlue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roo, water