Old 10-13-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

Water tank slowly filling

Hooked up to City water. All valves look to be in the correct position. My internal water tank has gone from empty to 2/3 full in 24 hours. Should be empty. Was when we got to the campground.

Anyone seen this one? Ideas?

Thanks,

2016 832IKBS

SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #2
Scoundrel

Check valve on your water pump is stuck. Disconnect from city water, open faucets and relieve water pressure in your plumbing. Turn on water pump.

That should reset the check valve. Good luck.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #3
Site Team

X2 with a few more steps.
Shut off city water.
Open a faucet until pressure released.
turn on water pump
Open faucet and run water for 30 sec.
turn off faucet.
Turn off water pump.
Turn city water.

Best not to run water pump when connected to city water.

This cures problem 90% time. If it doesn't, you will need to replace the back flow prevention valve in the water pump.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:21 PM   #4

Had this exact problem today and followed these steps to resolve it. I leave the fresh water tank open when hooked up for this reason. I noticed the drip and turned off water to run the pump. Thanks to all in the forum who share this.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:52 AM   #5

Not 100% sure but I think it was a pressure problem. I was only getting about 18 to 20 lbs pressure out of the line. Moved to a different spigot. 40 lbs out of that line. No the tank is not filling. Maybe low pressure caused the issue?

Thanks for all the replies.
SubVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 12:59 PM   #6

Plugged air outlet

I had issues filling up fresh water tank and found some critters nested in my air relief line going out of the RV. Unplugged hose and filling up correctly now . . . Good Luck
texasbuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:23 PM   #7

Exact problem discovered today when I noticed that the freshwater fill port had water running out of it. Did the steps above, but will have to wait until tank drains to see if it fixes it.

So, for clarity, are the check valves an integral part of the pump assembly, or is it installed in the piping near the outlet of the pump? I have a lot of good experience with these in the food manufacturing industry, especially on low viscosity liquids, but I suspect the quality of these are pretty low.
LTnTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubVet View Post
Not 100% sure but I think it was a pressure problem. I was only getting about 18 to 20 lbs pressure out of the line. Moved to a different spigot. 40 lbs out of that line. No the tank is not filling. Maybe low pressure caused the issue?

Thanks for all the replies.

There is a minimum pressure required to overcome the check valve, but that pressure should be provided by your pump, maybe 5-10 PSI at the most. The higher pressure spigot may have forced the check valve back to its normal closed state.
Old 10-15-2017, 02:33 PM   #9
Wrench Turnin Fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTnTN View Post
Exact problem discovered today when I noticed that the freshwater fill port had water running out of it. Did the steps above, but will have to wait until tank drains to see if it fixes it.

So, for clarity, are the check valves an integral part of the pump assembly, or is it installed in the piping near the outlet of the pump? I have a lot of good experience with these in the food manufacturing industry, especially on low viscosity liquids, but I suspect the quality of these are pretty low.
Yes, check valves are in the pump. It's a diaphragm pump, works like your heart... Check valves and squeezey Chambers

2001 Coleman SantaFe pop up
Excited new owner of 2018 Arctic Wolf 315TBH8
Towing with a 2005 F-250 5.4 GASSER
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Yes, check valves are in the pump. It's a diaphragm pump, works like your heart... Check valves and squeezey Chambers

Gotcha, thanks. I donít think this procedure fixed mine.

I noticed when I set it up during a couple of month stay on a job site that my water pressure dropped, so I think it was bypassing back to the tank. The tank drain valve was open until I set it up for this camping trip. It took 4 days to fill the tank.

What would be a safe water pressure I could put in the city water inlet and piping to try and reseat the check valve? Iím running at 40 PSI now.

Tags
tank, water, water tank