Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 PM   #1

Water Tank Vent Hose

Our Wildcat has a drain hose and a vent hose that both come out the bottom of the trailer. When I bought the trailer the previous owner had the vent capped with a plug and it also has a pvc ball valve installed. I got rid of the cap and opened the valve when filling the tank until water comes out of the vent hose, then I'd close the valve. Last weekend the ball valve broke in the open position and I'm wondering if it's necessary to replace it or just leave it open.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:22 PM   #2

As long as its the vent hose, I wouldn't see why you'd want a valve on it at all. Maybe can get another 1/2 gal or so in the tank with it closed, but it would be hard on the pump with no way to equalize the air with the suction from the pump. I would just leave it and see if you find a reason to replace.
Joel
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #3

If it is the vent hose, then you definitely do NOT want a valve on it. With the valve closed, you could collapse the water tank and ruin it. Whoever put the valve on that line was an idiot. You should give him a call and ask him what he was thinking. Hopefully the tank is not already cracked. Geez.
bakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 04:35 PM   #4

drain hose plug

If you have the new style drain hose you will need it plugged or it will siphon all your fresh water out of your system. We had to do the same with our brand new 2013 Heritage Glen. The design is completely flawed!!

Our cousin has a brand new V-cross and has the same design flaw. He has also had to plug it. Also the water line to the water pump was kinked and eventually stopped water flow in the trailer. We had to put a plastic fitting that goes around the hose to keep the kink out of it and now we have great water pressure. When we went to sanitize the system it was practically impossible with the layout of the hoses too. My husband had to put the bleach in the hose that was attached to the camper and then hook up to the faucet at the house and run the water through to get the bleach in, as there is no way to pour anything into the opening the way it runs into the camper.

They need to change back to the larger fresh water fill opening that the hose sticks into and the water just runs over when it is full.
iowarvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowarvnewbie View Post
If you have the new style drain hose you will need it plugged or it will siphon all your fresh water out of your system. We had to do the same with our brand new 2013 Heritage Glen. The design is completely flawed!!
I was curious about that as I've never the water keep running out after it started. I always shut the valve right after I saw the water coming out. It also has a small vent in the same place as the water fill. When we first got the camper, I was filling it with the bottom valve closed and I either had to run the water really slow or pull the hose out periodically to let the tank breathe. Once I opened that valve, I could fill the tank as fast as I wanted.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:16 PM   #6

My husband only closes the valve after the air is vented from all faucets and the hose is shut off, but our valve is not sealed in either, so that if it were to over pressure it would pop out of the end of the hose. We had tons of problems with the water siphoning out until he put the valve in. Yes you can fill faster with it open. You can certainly see if yours won't drain out most of your water, but it sounds like the same design as ours.
iowarvnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote