Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 PM   #41

Glad you remedied the problem. I know from experience how hard it is to clear the mountain. So, here goes-1) keep your black tank valve closed until ready to dump with tank being at least 3/4 full, 2) water is your friend concerning the black tank, so use at least a bowl full when you go #2, 3)RV Digest-it has been mentioned. I use it and it works pretty good. It's a liquid. I bought mine from Amazon Canada as I'm in Canada. Along with that you can use the Geo Method...google it. 4) never ever use wipes, just TP made for RVs or as some have used, COSTCO's Kirkland brand. Did I mention use water???? Some people use whatever brand they use at home but they use WATER. 5) I use a clear elbow at the drain so I can see what's coming out of the sewage treatment plant(black water tank). I also use an end of line shut off valve so I don't get any surprises on my feet when I take the cap off. When camping I always leave my gray water valves open until it's getting close to dumping the black tank. Then I save the gray water to rinse the drainage hose and the pipe leading to the hose. These are a few hints to help you. It's a lot more fun camping when these problems are avoided. Stay safe.
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #42

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Pipeman gave you the best advice in all these postings.....I agree with him. If you feel like you need to use the wet-ones......use your rv toilet paper,,,,THEN,,,,,use the wet ones,,,,,to make "things" a little nicer,,,,,but don't EVER flush them down the toilet. Somebody on this thread said that water is a black tank's best friend. True,,,,the more the merrier. I'm a full timer and have full hook up,,,,,when I dump, I also turn on my internal flush for a few minutes before I shut the valve and add my chemicals. But I also save some grey water for a good gushing flush after the party's over before I shut it and add chemicals. It's going to be slow recovering from the mess in there, but it'll clear up....don't know about your sensors, though...could be a wet-one hanging on it, but diligence with the flushing wand will clean it out so well that you could eat out of it....uhhhhhh...did I say that?
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 01:51 PM   #43

I've carried a black flush valve for years, it's real handy to have, does a much better job than the wand. There are 2 models available. I, like the picture above, for 5th wheels and motor homes, where the black tank isn't directly in line with the black drain valve, the other one, without the gate valve is for trailers where the black tank is in line with the black drain valve.

Only use toilet paper recommended for septic tanks, wet wipes don't dissolve. The best toilet paper I've found is Angel Soft. I did a test, and put samples of numerous toilet papers in a clear container and Angel Soft dissolved the best.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #44

Awesome, thanks again.
Gchaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #45

Clogged tnk

We had a similar problem when a relative flushed paper towels down the tank. I tried the wand, back flushi g etc...then an elderly man told us to go to home depot or Walmart and buy a box of RID-X that is used in household system..Let it set overnight and then flush it out...it worked great.
caburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:30 PM   #46

I can see Tomrob now......his wife comes home and he has a dozen empty mayo jars on the counter with toilet paper all over the kitchen,,,,,and his wife puts down the groceries, and says,,,,,"What in #@!! are you doing? YOU'RE COOKING SUPPER TONIGHT"
Old 06-28-2015, 02:36 PM   #47

Oh I forgot to add, when it comes to looking at the idiot lights for the level of your black tank, I just wait for the bubble to form when the tank gets close to full. It's a very reliable indication for you to start to think about dumping the black tank. I never depend on those lights other than for the fresh water level. You'll see the bubble when you flush or you may feel it, when you flush...
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #48

I agree, Pipeman,,,,,being fulltimers,,,,we usually go 6 days before dumping....and we use a LOT of water to keep things flowing. Those sensors aren't worth a flip once anything gets on them. The sound and the bubble is the best way to know where you're at.
Old 06-28-2015, 02:48 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
but diligence with the flushing wand will clean it out so well that you could eat out of it....uhhhhhh...did I say that?

Yuck.....I think I'm about to bring up the lunch I've just eaten now...

Richard & Diane
2014 Cedar Creek 38FL
2016 F350 Lariat CC DRW
Retired Metropolitan Police (UK)
Hutch333id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 02:51 PM   #50
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gchaine View Post
About a month, been using wet wipes the hole time
YIKES!!!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #51
Who Dares, Wins

Glad to hear things are back to normal.. Being I have a 2 year old I could not imagine putting a wipe down any toilet but hey we live and learn! LOL.

All good advice above. I hated the RV TP so we did the mayo jar test and use the same TP we do at home. I think it is Charmin for some reason. I considered adding the Horst probes but as was said, I just learned to look down the black hole and wait for the bubble for when it is full. Then I flush twice to clean the tank. I have used the Geo method a few times but I am not sure if it helped or not, not saying it did not, just did not do it enough to find out. Maybe I'll try it again for our trip to OH this week.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:33 PM   #52

Flush king should work. Make sure tank valve is open and sewer line connected.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:09 AM   #53

As an X maintenance guy and father of daughters,,,
The words Flushable should be removed from every thing except TP !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:28 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Use this now:

and love it.
X2.

... and for those of you who have the misconception that the built in "tank flushing" device will blow out a clog, think again. It is a tank rinser and nothing more in my opinion. Have used the flush king for many years and still do, probably not as many times at a clean out, as the rinser does have a legitimate value.
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:42 AM   #55
Site Team - Lou

I have owned and used two; one by CAMCO and one by flush king. Both had the hose attachment break off during use. Turboflushing for 10 to 15 minutes when available using a clear elbow and religious use of the GEO method (laundry soap and CALGON water softener) after every dump has worked best for me.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:58 AM   #56

Mine plugged once, wand got it cleared I had loaned our camper to a friend and someone put female items down but sensors didn't work right for almost a year. Made sure after that everyone knew not to do this.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 AM   #57

As others have said, water (and lots of it!) are your black tank's best friend.

We disagree with others in that we use the same TP in the RV as we do at home (Quilted Northern) and have never had a problem over the years (but, then again, I am a fanatic about LOTS of water in the black tank )

Like Lou, I use the turbo rinse 15-20 min after EVERY black tank dump

We agree with others about NOT putting wet ones in the black tank (might as well be putting cloth in the tank!)

Never ever forget that your black and gray tanks are HOLDING tanks not septic systems! Remember this when emptying them as well: Let them hold as much as they can before you dump! (If we are out for a short weekend, I will use a hose and completely fill our black tank with water)

The chemicals you use to maintain your holding tanks are critical as well. Lou is correct, the GEO method is the best out there.

For us, we have found the best soap to use is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid. Amazing degreaser - the best out there IMHO.

All of us have our own home brew formulas for tank chemicals but the core ingredients are pretty much the same.
Equal Parts:
Pine Sol
Superclean
Calgon
Dawn Dishwashing Liquid
Water
(I also add 8OZ of RV-Digest-it to the above)

I make it in 2 Gallon lots, which is usually enough for the whole season. To dispense in the toilet, I got one of these:
Chemical Dispensing Systems for RV & Marine | Blue Streak LLC

This brew is tank agnostic BTW - I will put 4-6OZ in both my Galley & Gray water tanks after I dump them.

Hope this helps.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:20 AM   #58

had the same problem a few days ago. used the wand and backflush. works great.
keeping a few gallons in the tank while driving helps.
235 nights camping this past 30 months
31000 miles
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 AM   #59

Had to poke a TP plug down once years ago in the North woods,,,
Just used a branch from a tree,,, never used regular TP again !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote