Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-02-2014, 02:24 PM   #1

What are these drain Hoses?

They are located at the left rear of My Solaire 2001SS. In the trailer behind the hoses are the water heater, refrigerator, bathroom sink and shower? They are not the low point of the plumbing as that water valve is located at the upper left hand side of the trailer. Any help would be greatly appreicated. I'm in the process of winterizing the RV.
Thanks, Steve
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414956276.155163.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	431.6 KB
ID:	65769

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
steve
Steveinthehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Those are your low point drains - open them and then purge air through the system and most of the water should come out of these drains.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveinthehills View Post
They are located at the left rear of My Solaire 2001SS. In the trailer behind the hoses are the water heater, refrigerator, bathroom sink and shower? They are not the low point of the plumbing as that water valve is located at the upper left hand side of the trailer. Any help would be greatly appreicated. I'm in the process of winterizing the RV.
Thanks, Steve
Attachment 65769

steve

Water valve? as in one at the upper left hand side of the trailer? That does not seem to be a 'drain'.

Low point drains are not on the upper of anything.. they are at the lower areas of the unit. There are two low point drains. one for hot water and one for cold. As the picture shows, those two drains are very close to the water heater, sink, shower, etc. Those to me do look like you low point drains as they are in the same (correct) area as my last unit.... in the back. When winterizing, drain your fresh water tank, drain water heater and then raise the front a few inches higher than the back and open all of the faucets (to breath) and open both of those drains and let the unit drain.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

Those are definitely the low point drains to your unit. With the pump off and no city water connection remove the caps open a couple of faucets and the water will drain out of your plumbing system.
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Water valve? as in one at the upper left hand side of the trailer? That does not seem to be a 'drain'.

Low point drains are not on the upper of anything.. they are at the lower areas of the unit. There are two low point drains. one for hot water and one for cold. As the picture shows, those two drains are very close to the water heater, sink, shower, etc. Those to me do look like you low point drains as they are in the same (correct) area as my last unit.... in the back. When winterizing, drain your fresh water tank, drain water heater and then raise the front a few inches higher than the back and open all of the faucets (to breath) and open both of those drains and let the unit drain.

Thank you for the quick response. I drained the two lines and about a quart of water came out of each line. I finished up the job with reading the owners manual, used compressed air to blow out the water lines and then RV antifreeze. Last year the trailer was sent back to the factory for warranty work and the factory performed the winterization.

Thanks, Steve

steve
Old 11-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Thank you for the quick response. I drained the two lines and about a quart of water came out of each line. I finished up the job with reading the owners manual, used compressed air to blow out the water lines and then RV antifreeze. Last year the trailer was sent back to the factory for warranty work and the factory performed the winterization.

Thanks, Steve

steve

Here is a photo of the drain lines at the front of the trailer. About 18 inches inboard of the white capped drain is another drain line with a black cap on it. Both drain clear water. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1414963820.460959.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	438.6 KB
ID:	65784

steve
Old 11-02-2014, 04:32 PM   #7

Thank you for your reply. I really do appreciate your time in getting back to me.
Steve

steve
Old 11-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

That "other" valve is most likely your fresh water tank drain.
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38FLCamper View Post
Those are your low point drains - open them and then purge air through the system and most of the water should come out of these drains.

Thank you for your time in getting back to me. I should be all squared away for the time being.

Steve

steve
Old 11-02-2014, 04:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
That "other" valve is most likely your fresh water tank drain.

I'm sure that you are correct. Thanks for the time in getting back to me. I really do appreciate it.

Steve

steve
Old 11-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Those drains have a 1/2" cap on the ends. If there is clearance under them you can put a 1/2" ball valve on them instead of the cap and make it easier drain.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Those drains have a 1/2" cap on the ends. If there is clearance under them you can put a 1/2" ball valve on them instead of the cap and make it easier drain.

Thanks for the information. I probably have room for the 1/2" ball valve. I really appreciate your time.
Steve

steve
Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Here is a photo of the drain lines at the front of the trailer. About 18 inches inboard of the white capped drain is another drain line with a black cap on it. Both drain clear water. Attachment 65784

steve

What does the lower sticker say in your picture?

The water hose with the white cap 'to me' would look to be the Fresh Water drain. The other hose that is 18 inches inboard with a black cap is the question that I have. When opening the white hose white cap line, does gallons and gallons of fresh water come out (assuming that the FW tank is full). What about the black cap line 18 inches inboard?

I am 100% sure that the first pic of the lines in the back are you low point drain. 98% sure that the white line, white cap is Fresh Water drain. The question is what is the 'black cap' line drain go to?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #14

Could the one 18 inches in be the Fresh Water breather tube? Should that even have a cap on it?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #15

If memory serves me the drain with the black cap will drain gallons of water. The drain with the white cap will drain only several gallons of water. What I think is the drain with the black cap is the holding tank water and the drain with the white cap is another low point plumbing drain. So I drain them both and not worry. Thanks for all your input. The people in the "Frog Club" have been most helpful to me in my RV owner's journey. Attached is a photo.
Steve

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415068789.406308.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	359.9 KB
ID:	65836

steve
Old 11-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

My white line = fresh water low point drain
blue line = cold water low point drain
red line = hot water low point drain
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #17

Thank you for the information and your time.
Steve

steve
Old 11-04-2014, 03:01 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
If I where you and you were going to install drain valves I would do it in the basement being that if you get caught in a freak freeze like I did in Florida last year mine froze and broke. Now I close the valves in the basement and leave no water in them at all. The great weak point when you get 24 degree weather where it suppose to be 75 degrees.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:44 PM   #19
RVGeorge

Ok if I drain low point lines, then close refill with the pink stuff then drain again will this also get the water heater ready for winter or do I still need to pull out anode rod? Living in east Tn area. Also what about leaving the bath vent open 1/2 way for camper breathing ?

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415587346.409188.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	850.8 KB
ID:	66153, Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1415587406.466880.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	773.3 KB
ID:	66157

Old 11-09-2014, 10:35 PM   #20

Drain all low point lines. Bypass the water heater and pull out the anode rod. I would not put antifreeze in the water heater just leave it empty. I would blow out the water lines with air then run the pink stuff through the lines including the outside shower. Lastly I would pour some antifreeze in the sink and shower P-traps, black water tank and in the toilet.
Steve

Tags
drain