Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2017, 08:11 AM   #1

What is the thing in the attached photo?

My water pump runs, but no water comes from the faucet. The attached photo shows a thing that sits in the water line: one fitting attaches directly to the water line, and the other fitting attaches to the vacuum side of the pump. The owner's manual is of no help.

The fresh water tank is full, and I'm thinking this thing is some kind of valve that is stuck and preventing water from flowing through the pump. So here are my questions:
  1. What is the name of this thing?
  2. What is it's purpose?
  3. Do you think it might be blocking water from the pump and needs replacement?
My RV is a 2015 Ceder Creek Silverback 33IK which I have owned since new.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Pump Thingie.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	150761  
PTaylor883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #2

No photo attached! No way to help you until you post a pic!
Schvarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #3

Looks like the filter. I had a similar issue with my water earlier this year. I think I had some kind of air lock in the line. I took that filter out, cleaned the screen, put it back together and the water started flowing again.

No camper, currently
polishdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

It’s just a screen filter
Old 09-06-2017, 08:25 AM   #5

Sorry I failed to attach the photo. I think its there now.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:27 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As mentioned, no photo but I suspect you are referring to the suction strainer on the pump.
It is not a valve but rather a strainer/filter to keep debris out of the pump.

They can/do plug up and they also can come loose and suck air causing the condition you've mentioned.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:25 PM   #7

"Thingy" prior to the Water Pump

That's the water filter. I just recently cleaned mine out, and it was full of debris. It was hidden behind a small partition and I never saw it. The debris appeared to have been from manufacturing. So I've learned to clean it out after your first use of the RV.
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:26 PM   #8

Filter often has stuff in it

It is always a good idea to check the filter, in particular on newer purchases. Often tiny pieces fall into the tank or get stuck in the lines during manufacture and they will plug up this filter.
Enconcapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #9
TnT

Could it be the winterizing switch is in the wrong position?

2016 F350 Dually
2014 Spartan 1032
2010 F250 it went to a new owner
2008 Harley Road Glide
TnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 04:52 PM   #10

Not to be criticizing but having worked in Enviromental: IF this contains a wire mesh screen type thingy, then it is technically a strainer. Filters tend to be of a finer mesh and some type of paper material. It would not be surprising to find debris from the build of the RV in these type strainers. After I bought my latest TT, Jan. '15, I was exploring all the stuff under the TT. I found a fresh water drain and drains for each of the cold and hot water. I removed the plugs from each of these and was very surprised at the amount of small plastic piping debris in each of them.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:35 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies

Thanks to all, especially Spicker who provided the great photo. The strainer had a few grains/pebbles of sand, but not enough to restrict the water: the cleaning didn't help.

I have winterized/de-winterized the unit myself for two years, so I know the cut-off valves are correct, especially since the pump has been working all summer.

So, I will just continue to use city water only, until I get home and take it to my friendly dealer for service.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I winterized mine five years in a row. The seventh year the plastic cap split. Water dripping upon de-winterizing. I remove mine now for the winter.
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:20 PM   #13

Try sucking water from the winterizing hose. If it doesn`t pull that way it's may be debris in the vacuum side of the pump. That comes off with 4 screws. If you try that make sure you pay attention to how it goes together and don't puncture the rubber gasket. Rebuild kits are available. I too had a crack in the strainer bowl last winter that caused your symptoms. If you pulled the strainer to clean it you probably would have caught that. Another thought is the valve for winterizing is fairly cheap and my handle cracked. Make sure you are truly turning the valve.

litgrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 08:10 AM   #14

If you winterized and drained the hot water tank but didn't refill it, the pump will run and you'll get very little if any water out because you're refilling the hot water tank. Using the winterize position of the valves and a jug of fresh water instead of antifreeze as already recommended will quickly tell you if the problem is the feed from the fresh tank or an issue with the pump itself.

The city water hookup can provide a lot more water than the pump and you might see what's happening if you are still refilling the hot water tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #15

My pump is fixed.

Took my rig into my friendly hometown dealer, and they diagnosed the problem as a bad pump and they replaced the whole pump. He gave me the name of the part that was the problem, and said he could have fixed it with a re-build kit but the extra labor would more than eat up all the savings in parts. I don't remember the name of the problem part. Cost me $122.50 plus 1/2 hour labor.

Thanks for all the suggestions.