Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland & Labrador
Posts: 130
What is this stuff???

I have a 2010 Wildwood XLite with a Suburban gas-only water heater. When I removed the anode rod today for winterizing, there were white globs of something all over the top of the anode. They were kind of cylindrical, about 1/4" long each and looked like insect larva - I know it isn't - and I was able to wipe it off in a rag. My question is what is this stuff? Is it a common complaint?
__________________

Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Brother Les's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: BoCoMo
Posts: 2,304
A mixture of calcium and mineral deposits from hard water.

It is in you water heater at home. Do you clean out your home water heater?
__________________

__________________
Brother Les

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Newfoundland & Labrador
Posts: 130
No I don't. The water at home is from our own well and is very soft - dish liquid lasts a long time.
I would have thought that a calcium or mineral precipitate would be hard and not gelatin-like.
Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Future Roo 23IKSS Owner
 
elundquist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Gypsum, CO
Posts: 189
To remove the deposit just use white vinegar. For the anode quickly dip and rise with water. You can flush the water system to remove build ups and chlorine taste.


Erik Lundquist
elundquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
trbomax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 981
Those were alien embryos designed to hatch in the spring and then take over all rv's and turn them into ferry ships to take our pathetic population to thier perfect planet.You have interupted the masterplan ans now thousands of rv'ers will be left behind to perish when the alien unlease the nuclear desease that will devour the planet,makeing it habitible only by the kidnapped rv'ers who they will transform into a super race,Who will return to resetell the planet and flourish.These people will be hybrids,1/2 alien and 1/2 human but with a modified super conducter brain structure that will make them able to completelt dominate any other intelligence thry encounter.The end is near!!!!! you have angryed the sowers of the seeds and will pay acordingly !!!!!! Lock your doors , cover your windows,they will still find you.thier mental powers are without paralell.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
deartruc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Southern New England
Posts: 845
Somebody spends too much time watching the Sci-fi channel.
__________________
2017 GMC Yukon
2015 Roo 23 ikss
deartruc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 04:40 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Those were alien embryos designed to hatch in the spring and then take over all rv's and turn them into ferry ships to take our pathetic population to thier perfect planet.You have interupted the masterplan ans now thousands of rv'ers will be left behind to perish when the alien unlease the nuclear desease that will devour the planet,makeing it habitible only by the kidnapped rv'ers who they will transform into a super race,Who will return to resetell the planet and flourish.These people will be hybrids,1/2 alien and 1/2 human but with a modified super conducter brain structure that will make them able to completelt dominate any other intelligence thry encounter.The end is near!!!!! you have angryed the sowers of the seeds and will pay acordingly !!!!!! Lock your doors , cover your windows,they will still find you.thier mental powers are without paralell.

I believe you are on to something here.

Another thought for the OP is that had you not removed that rod you would of been just fine. It just a wonder that it wasn't a lot worse than you describe.

Russell
CAT-RN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Western (BC) Canada
Posts: 55
Anode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherock View Post
I have a 2010 Wildwood XLite with a Suburban gas-only water heater. When I removed the anode rod today for winterizing, there were white globs of something all over the top of the anode. They were kind of cylindrical, about 1/4" long each and looked like insect larva - I know it isn't - and I was able to wipe it off in a rag. My question is what is this stuff? Is it a common complaint?
This is quite normal and indicates that the Sacrificial Anode is doing it's job. Beneath those "white globs" you will probably find some pitting in the zinc material. Understanding the reason for the anode is the key. It is made of a less noble metal than that of your hot water tank and will therefore erode away a lot faster, when in the presence of mineral rich water, than the tank itself. You might like to take a wire brush to the anode and clean all the deposits from it while you have it out as this ensures that it is at it's most effective. It should be replaced when it has wasted by about 70%.
kcdelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Dabmeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by trbomax View Post
Those were alien embryos designed to hatch in the spring and then take over all rv's and turn them into ferry ships to take our pathetic population to thier perfect planet.You have interupted the masterplan ans now thousands of rv'ers will be left behind to perish when the alien unlease the nuclear desease that will devour the planet,makeing it habitible only by the kidnapped rv'ers who they will transform into a super race,Who will return to resetell the planet and flourish.These people will be hybrids,1/2 alien and 1/2 human but with a modified super conducter brain structure that will make them able to completelt dominate any other intelligence thry encounter.The end is near!!!!! you have angryed the sowers of the seeds and will pay acordingly !!!!!! Lock your doors , cover your windows,they will still find you.thier mental powers are without paralell.
👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻 Lol
Dabmeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:27 PM   #10
KAS
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: VIRGINIA
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by deartruc View Post
Somebody spends too much time watching the Sci-fi channel.
And not enough time on spelling lessons! FUNNY!!!
__________________

KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.