Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

What is this valve?

I'm preparing to take our new 2017 Sunseeker 3050 for our first trip.

There is a valve in here that I can find no documentation for, and as its at a 3-way junction I'm not sure what position it should be in. It could appear to be open in either position. The other position is straight up.

The red hose below it is not connected to this valve. It just looks that way because it's directly behind the valve.

The blue hose bottom right comes out of the right side of this valve and is the drain for the fresh water tank, and it has another valve of its own at the very bottom, and is currently open

Maybe I missed it in my 14 lb stack of manuals, but the only reference to plumbing in the owners manual is very generic as it may apply to any number of different models...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	118560  
Skyjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:09 PM   #2

Looks like the water heater bypass valve - used during winterizing . In the position shown, it is directing cold water into the water heater via the blue hose. Turning the lever ninety degrees upwards would bypass the water heater.
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Looks like the water heater bypass valve - used during winterizing . In the position shown, it is directing cold water into the water heater via the blue hose. Turning the lever ninety degrees upwards would bypass the water heater.
That's my take on it, also.
Might go out and see if I have the same thing on my 3010DS a little later.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:02 PM   #4

Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Chris
Skyjerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 08:34 PM   #5

Looks like a water heater winterizing bypass valve.
Attached Images

Jack of all trades, Master on none
Captain America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:18 PM   #6

I think it could be the valve to select fresh water from tank or antifreeze draw using water pump. Do you have an outside connection for antifreeze?

2016 Ford F250 XLT 4X4 6.2L
2015 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329SS
Hensley Arrow
uhduh camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 09:36 PM   #7

It's for drawing antifreeze out of the jug. I've got the exact same setup on mine. When you close that valve it will draw the antifreeze up rather than pulling water from your storage tank.

2015 Forester 2301 - Chevy
Skip & Deb
Forester Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:08 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forester Fred View Post
It's for drawing antifreeze out of the jug. I've got the exact same setup on mine. When you close that valve it will draw the antifreeze up rather than pulling water from your storage tank.
So does the one hose have an open end some where ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 AM   #9
Site Team

On most units I've seen the Red and Blue lines going through the floor with valves are the Low Point Drains for the hot and cold water pipe systems. Look and see if those two lines dump out under your motor home. If so they are your drains. The fresh water tank normally has a separate white valve for its drain.

The anti freeze system normally is connected to the water pump with short white hose attached to it. There will be a switch / valve to connected to it to select the fresh water tank or the anti freeze pick up hose.

I've attached a picture of what my MH has to show the color code and what it looks like... The locations vary by model but the colors are fairly standard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Outside Storage With Fresh Water Access Panel Open.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	118724  
Old 08-29-2016, 08:38 AM   #10

To me the Black Valve looks to be some sort of Hot Water drain valve,,, I would have to see where the Red hose goes ???
Old 08-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
So does the one hose have an open end some where ???
You should have the white flexible hose - look at the photo up a couple posts. That's the open end that goes in the antifreeze jug. I'm surprised your dealer didn't explain all that to you when you bought the rig. Mine made a big deal out of how it would draw up the antifreeze using the pump.

Skip & Deb
Old 08-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLdr1 View Post
On most units I've seen the Red and Blue lines going through the floor with valves are the Low Point Drains for the hot and cold water pipe systems. Look and see if those two lines dump out under your motor home. If so they are your drains. The fresh water tank normally has a separate white valve for its drain.

The anti freeze system normally is connected to the water pump with short white hose attached to it. There will be a switch / valve to connected to it to select the fresh water tank or the anti freeze pick up hose.

I've attached a picture of what my MH has to show the color code and what it looks like... The locations vary by model but the colors are fairly standard.
That looks almost identical to mine. One suggestion, take a look at the hinge on the black plastic door that closes off the plumbing. Mine fell off last winter while bouncing across I40 and other various bumpy places in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Turns out FR only put the hinge on with body molding tape. Mine now has pop rivets holding it in place.

Skip & Deb
Old 08-29-2016, 03:30 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
That looks almost identical to mine. One suggestion, take a look at the hinge on the black plastic door that closes off the plumbing. Mine fell off last winter while bouncing across I40 and other various bumpy places in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas. Turns out FR only put the hinge on with body molding tape. Mine now has pop rivets holding it in place.
Why am I not surprised... Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:37 AM   #14

Quote:
You should have the white flexible hose - look at the photo up a couple posts. That's the open end that goes in the antifreeze jug. I'm surprised your dealer didn't explain all that to you when you bought the rig. Mine made a big deal out of how it would draw up the antifreeze using the pump.
I see that in post #9,,, I was asking about post #1 !!!