Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #21
Trailer Park Supervisor

Took a look at the link Mr. Jiggles, which did not quantitatively evaluate the filters, and shockingly, was written by a filtration vendor.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:43 PM   #22

Water filtration

Njkris, yes , it is a water filter vendor. I don’t know where else one would get a water filter. I suppose one could build a filter but why go through the trouble. Are his filters perfect for everyone? Doubt it. They work for me. My local county will test whatever water you bring them and after filter water quality was better than my town water.
To answer your other question, no, I do not drink water served to me in a restaurant or any other establishment while tzraveling. Same for ice cubes. I don’t drink my town water without filtering it further. I don’t even let my dog drink it out of the tap. No, I’m not a tree hugging liberal vegan either.
(apologies to those who are. Just trying to make a point) I have learned over the years not to put much faith in municipal water supply. If you chose to drink it that fine with me. I feel better if I don’t.
Flat towing 2017 Buick Envision
Blue Ox tow equipment
Mr. Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 07:55 PM   #23
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
No, I’m not a tree hugging liberal vegan either.
(apologies to those who are.
Hhahaha, that's funny! My comment about the filter vendor was from my earlier post about not being able to find ANY independent evaluation of these filters, and what they actually are capable or incapable of.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:05 PM   #24

I would just have to guess (I’m not a expert on filters nor an expert on water quality) that you would have to purchase a filter, run water through it and then have it tested to your own satisfaction. If you are satisfied with the results then that would be the filter for you. That link is just one of many vendors for many different filters.
Flat towing 2017 Buick Envision
Blue Ox tow equipment
Mr. Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #25

I personally like these filters. Been using for years. Never had a problem with leaks
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:51 AM   #26

I use the camco filter for any water going into the tank unless at home. We have very new state of the art county water treatment system with a very good raw water source to start with. We also use a PUR filter on the kitchen faucet for drinking water and coffee. I replaced the p.o.j. RV kitchen faucet that came with the MH with a good Delta faucet. The PUR has a quick connect so we can take it off while driving.
Another thing to consider with the outside filters is flow rate. You can filter to 100 microns or you can filter to 5 microns. You can also spend $100 and spend a half hour at the fill station filling your tank.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:54 PM   #27
CJ2

Anyone notice the Camping World version says "Low Lead Brass"?? Is it even legal to have lead on potable water fittings any more?
CJ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ2 View Post
Anyone notice the Camping World version says "Low Lead Brass"?? Is it even legal to have lead on potable water fittings any more?
As I understand it, lead is added to brass to enhance the machinability of the metal. And as it pertains to your question, it is permissible to utilize brass with a low concentration of lead in the manufacturing of faucets and fixtures.
tom39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:01 AM   #29

I use the Camco filter as a pre-filter for the house filter, refrigerate between uses and drink the water. It tastes fine to me.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:48 AM   #30

Without the lead the brass would be far too soft to form. And I never drink water from the tap either. Must be the Floridian in me.
emoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Just curious, so you won't drink tap water at hotels or restaurants when you travel?
The filtration systems at hotels and restaurants are far more superior than the average and high-end filtration systems used by the average Joe for home use — let alone RV use. Water filtration systems for hotels and restaurants lean more towards being purification and softening systems, after the water is run through a filtration system. The systems we install at new Holiday Inn Express hotels, Outback Steakhouse restaurants, etc., cost about $10,000.00 and produce better water than you can buy in a bottle.

Bruce
Old 10-10-2018, 11:27 AM   #32

I made a double ended fm connector on a short piece of hose and when water slows or every few times I back flush filter.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:57 AM   #33

After many years of experimenting with filters, we threw all of ours out several years ago. Much happier!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:01 PM   #34

Water filter

I also have softener and I found my sacrafical rod in hot water heater lasts longer.
NorSnrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:31 PM   #35

Several years ago the company I work for was testing an new piece of analytical equipment and the Chemist used 6 different brands of bottled water for testing. Final results were 4 brands were no different than tap water and 2 were slightly more purified, similar to distilled water.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 03:18 PM   #36
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
The systems we install at new Holiday Inn Express hotels, Outback Steakhouse restaurants, etc., cost about $10,000.00
I had no idea these hotels spent ANYTHING on filtration. Knowing the owners of a lot of mom and pop restaurants here in NJ, I don't think they bother filtering anything but coffee lol. Is this the norm? Or is it only in areas with subpar water?
Old 10-12-2018, 05:40 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I had no idea these hotels spent ANYTHING on filtration. Knowing the owners of a lot of mom and pop restaurants here in NJ, I don't think they bother filtering anything but coffee lol. Is this the norm? Or is it only in areas with subpar water?
You may be right about the smaller mom and pop restaurants and smaller, older hotels and motels. I don’t even know if it is a code requirement. I just hook up to what the filter company set up on the floor. I have done the plumbing for many different hotels, motels and restaurants from the ground up over the last 30 years. The smallest hotels/motels being Super 8s and the smallest restaurants being Einstein Bagels, Taco Bell’s and Burger Kings. Almost everything I have done has been for National chain-type places, so there’s not much variation in design or specifications from one place to the other, but they all have water filtration/purification systems. They all use the same stuff in every place they build, so I suppose the filtration and purification systems are just a part of that consistency — I don’t think it matters what the incoming municipal water supply’s quality is. I have never done a restaurant or hotel/motel that was on well, and I never did anything in Flint, Michigan, so maybe things are different in those cases — I imagine those systems would be different from what I am used to seeing.

Bruce
Old 10-12-2018, 07:50 AM   #38
Trailer Park Supervisor

Interesting Bruce.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #39

What’s inside a Camco water filter?

Just to add to the use of my camco filter, I winterized my trailer yesterday. I took my anode rod out and after over a year of camping it was at 95%. Only some small pitting. Maybe my filter helped keep the minerals out? Maybe.. maybe not. But I am still happy
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:42 PM   #40
Trailer Park Supervisor

Here's a quick article about sacrificial anode rods. And no, your Camco filter will not filter out minerals. Pretty much just sand and sediment. What Does an Anode Rod Do? | The Sunny Plumber

Tags
water, water filter