Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2014, 09:33 PM   #1

What size are you...really?

Okay, I got your attention. But remember, this is the plumbing section. Well that is not coming out as planned either.

I'm talking about the size of your fresh water tank. Geez, settle down, we have math to do.

I have read on this forum in some threads previously, that the fresh water gallons included the fresh water tank, water heater, and may be the lines. I got curious about that equation. While I was cleaning and sterilizing my water system I decided to grab the tape measurer since I have total access to my fresh water tank. Here is what I found...

Forest River noted that I had a 28 gallon tank. So I measured...

17"w x 9"h x 44"l = 6,732 cu. in. The Google "conculater" said 29.14 gallons. This was outside measurements so I took a 1/4" off all measurements to account for thickness of the fresh water tank. I got 6,412 cu. in. for inside dimensions that came up with 27.75 gallons.

I guess I have a 28 gallon fresh water tank as advertised plus 6 gallons in the water heater.

The purpose of this thread is... Did your brochure lie to you?
Old 07-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
NELA

LOL you had me thinkin' you'd been readin' my mind.

With all the age threads I said to DH; well heck, next I guess someone will start asking our weights!

If age is a state of mind, and I've lost my mind, I'm AGELESS, right?
Give me 40 acres and I'll turn this rig around:
Flagstaff 5er 2014 8528 IKWS, Platinum Package, Regency Interior "Buffy"
F250 Super Duty 2013 Tuxedo Black "Biff"
Days camped 2014: 30
Weezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
LOL you had me thinkin' you'd been readin' my mind.

With all the age threads I said to DH; well heck, next I guess someone will start asking our weights!
Yeah, I might tip a few scales. :rollback: But I am really interested in actual tank capacities and looking for accuracies. Make and model would help if it is not in your sig.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Interesting, but I have to ask (to quote someone else) "what difference does it make?" Whatever it is, we are not going to change it, nor will FR change the brochures based on what we find, so it really is a mute point.

Most folks have covered tanks and can't measure the tanks anyway and you can't drain them completely either to get even a ballpark measurement.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Interesting, but I have to ask (to quote someone else) "what difference does it make?" Whatever it is, we are not going to change it, nor will FR change the brochures based on what we find, so it really is a mute point.

Most folks have covered tanks and can't measure the tanks anyway and you can't drain them completely either to get even a ballpark measurement.
Okay, nice change of point. But size does matter when your making a buying decision on tank capacities and it is not a "mute point", may they be fresh, grey(s) or black. Not trying to give an aggressive tone. Too many posts on here about someone b****ing that they did not get what was advertised AFTER the sale so it "does make a difference". I know we are under the Forest River umbrella but the "makers" and their "models" may not be as "advertised".

It would be nice to have a thread that showed accuracies or inaccuracies. If you can't get to your tank, there be it. Not really looking for people to measure buckets of drain water (but if you're really curious)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
Okay, nice change of point. But size does matter when your making a buying decision on tank capacities and it is not a "mute point", may they be fresh, grey(s) or black. Not trying to give an aggressive tone. Too many posts on here about someone b****ing that they did not get what was advertised AFTER the sale so it "does make a difference". I know we are under the Forest River umbrella but the "makers" and their "models" may not be as "advertised".

It would be nice to have a thread that showed accuracies or inaccuracies. If you can't get to your tank, there be it. Not really looking for people to measure buckets of drain water (but if you're really curious)
Don't be quiet about it (Mute) it is just not relevant (Moot)
(Sorry, English Police here )

Back on topic...so what is the question anyway? Are you concerned that your brochure says 35 GAL and it is 34 or what?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 10:45 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

My reply was based solely on your last sentence "The purpose of this thread is... Did your brochure lie to you?" which immediately threw up a red flag to me and I thought it was, IMO trolling or very close to it.

Sorry if that was not your intent.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:03 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
My reply was based solely on your last sentence "The purpose of this thread is... Did your brochure lie to you?" which immediately threw up a red flag to me and I thought it was, IMO trolling or very close to it.

Sorry if that was not your intent.
OC, trolling? Seriously?
Old 07-10-2014, 11:07 PM   #9
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Don't be quiet about it (Mute) it is just not relevant (Moot)
(Sorry, English Police here )

Back on topic...so what is the question anyway? Are you concerned that your brochure says 35 GAL and it is 34 or what?
My bad, I do know the difference.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Willow View Post
OC, trolling? Seriously?
Seriously, talk about pots and kettles discussing exterior colors.

I don't know on my FR 5er, but my TT was a 2002 Keystone Springdale, 45 gallons advertised, measured to be that right on the mark. Black and grey were dead on advertised as well.

So exact measurements aside, in my experience, the tank rating doesn't include the rest of the system, just the tank itself.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
...Are you concerned that your brochure says 35 GAL and it is 34 or what?
Sure sounded like a gripe about brochures being incorrect which is an established fact. Any similarity between the brochure and the product is purely accidental. JMO.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #12

Its not just about a brochure. I was being general. Any type of advertisement, may it a brochure, a sales person, what ever. Some members on this site have noted that they made purchases based on advertisements from "where ever".

I was just trying to create a thread that would create some interest in advertised capacities. Nothing more really other than I'm interested in upgrading. Dismiss the title if it offends anyone.
Old 07-10-2014, 11:26 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to B and B
My black water has I would estimate an extra day of storage with the long pipe from the commode to the tank. As far as fresh water, if we squeeze it we can get 3 days of dishes and light showers out of it. 250ft of hose reaches just about any water spigot in the Provincial parks we frequent.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote