Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2019, 11:51 AM   #121

Quote:
Can certainly tell how many on here grew up having cow/horse patty fights as a kid and how many of us we told by our teachers on those hard winter days, long about 2nd or 3rd period in school.: The teacher would tell us boys that had fed cattle and horses that morning to go outside and CLEAN the arches of our boots because they were starting to stink in the warm room. LOL, of course, we did it on purpose to get out of about 10-15 min of class. At my rural schools, they all had boot scrapers at each entry door.

My take away from this thread:b Calgon, CLR Septic Treatment, thanks to you guys that posted that, very good and valuable info...for all?
Most of ours wuz pig poop. Didn't take until 2nd or 3rd period.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:58 AM   #122
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post

We leave the grey tank valve open when we camp. As for smells coming from the Septic system back-flowing and out your vent tube. NOT likely. The park septic system has to have vents on it to vent off the gas.
It is a proven fact that this does, indeed, happen.

Quote:

I have a septic system in my home now and have had them in the past, never had any problem with backflow of gases into the house. If you smell a septic odor it's the wind bringing it over from the tank/field site.
A brick and sticks house is a totally different beast than an RV.

Blow out one of your P-traps under a sink and leave it that way for awhile and see what happens...
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:59 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Blow out one of your P-traps under a sink and leave it that way for awhile and see what happens...
Yep. My last house was on septic and I had one shower that I never used. I had to occasionally fill up the P-trap when it would dry out otherwise that bathroom would have a nice smell!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:27 PM   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
It is a proven fact that this does, indeed, happen.

A brick and sticks house is a totally different beast than an RV.

Take note what I wrote: "not likely", I did not never!

That said I had open pipes in the house I am in for the past 10 years. When the wind blew a certain way you had a smell, for years that drove me crazy, where did it come from? Finally, in the 'studs-out' remodel I found an open vent pipe in the bathroom wall, capped it and added a vent between the house and septic system.

That given, then in my mind begs the question: Why isn't there a P trap between the house and the septic? Adding P trap would be easy and they certainly come in all sizes. I did ask a Master Plumber and he told the P trap would catch poop and paper. My reply was it has to go thru a P trap to get there, one more should not be a stopper. In fact, you would be moving waste thru a 4 or 6 in connection. He looked at me and said "never thought of that"

Most likely any smell in the park is not coming from the common Septic system, but rather from vented black tanks.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:41 PM   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks View Post

Can certainly tell how many on here grew up having cow/horse patty fights as a kid and how many of us we told by our teachers on those hard winter days, long about 2nd or 3rd period in school.: The teacher would tell us boys that had fed cattle and horses that morning to go outside and CLEAN the arches of our boots because they were starting to stink in the warm room. LOL, of course, we did it on purpose to get out of about 10-15 min of class. At my rural schools, they all had boot scrapers at each entry door.

My take away from this thread:b Calgon, CLR Septic Treatment, thanks to you guys that posted that, very good and valuable info...for all?

Yep, grew up on Grandpa's dairy farm... started milking cows once I was big enough not to fly too far if the cow kicked, and learned to drive tractors and back up trailers and wagons when I was tall enough to reach the pedals... probably even before that actually. Worked the farm until I got out of college and started flying airplanes.

Ain't nothing wrong with getting your hands dirty... it washes off. If you do it right, you don't get your hands dirty in the first place.

2018 Avenger ATI 27RBS
BriaBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 PM   #126

For those that are convinced that leaving your gray valve open is forbidden and noxious fumes will invade the land of the living , there is an easy remedy that most do anyway, on purpose or by accident.

Ensure your sewer hose has its own low spot or p-trap in it. Easy to do, especially if you use hose supports that most CGs require. Then this, along with your RVs p-traps ensures those devilish CG sewer gases stay away from your RV.

I reserve the right to leave my gray tank valve open in any campground with hookups!!!!!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 01:08 PM   #127

I leave my gray tank open until about a day before I am leaving so I can use the gray water to clean the hose after dumping the black. Of course that is on the rare occurrence I stay in a park with hookups .
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 09:09 AM   #128

the bottom line is try something and if it works for you great and if not try again.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:09 PM   #129

I drop in two Taco Bell bean burritos. Cleans me out when I eat them, should work just as well in the black tank.

2005 Forester 2901
2005 Scion XB
RacerRalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:15 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerRalph View Post
I drop in two Taco Bell bean burritos. Cleans me out when I eat them, should work just as well in the black tank.
That's funny right there I don't care who you are
Old 03-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #131

[QUOTE=NMWildcat;2035216]
Ensure your sewer hose has its own low spot or p-trap in it. Easy to do, especially if you use hose supports that most CGs require. Then this, along with your RVs p-traps ensures those devilish CG sewer gases stay away from your RV.

I have never heard of that requirement in Texas. I always thought they were just a convenience devise. I've never used them.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #132

[QUOTE=ard58;2036743]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post

I have never heard of that requirement in Texas. I always thought they were just a convenience devise. I've never used them.
You need to get out more! Most CGs (especially privately owned) we stay at require them. Even TX
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:41 AM   #133

just thinking about " Baking Soda ", has anyone tried putting that in your tanks ( black & gray). Just a thought.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #134

[QUOTE=NMWildcat;2036843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post

You need to get out more! Most CGs (especially privately owned) we stay at require them. Even TX
We stay at RV parks 25-35 weekends a year in Texas, have never heard of such a thing, never saw it in any 'Park Rules", any discussions we have ever had and never on a sign anywhere...in Texas, from El Paso to Houston, Brownsville to Amarillo.

It MAY be a requirement for those who stay long term as months.
Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
'19 F 350 CC, LB King Ranch Ultimate
17 Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:10 PM   #135
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

[QUOTE=17 Oaks;2039627]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
We stay at RV parks 25-35 weekends a year in Texas, have never heard of such a thing, never saw it in any 'Park Rules", any discussions we have ever had and never on a sign anywhere...in Texas, from El Paso to Houston, Brownsville to Amarillo.

It MAY be a requirement for those who stay long term as months.
I've seen it many times in Colorado, South Dakota, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada and Arizona.
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:17 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philkaty View Post
just thinking about " Baking Soda ", has anyone tried putting that in your tanks ( black & gray). Just a thought.
I just put it in the refrigerator.

Not sure putting it in a holding tank would do anything for the smell. Maybe if you put 4-5 boxes in it might.

Some people used to put lime in outhouses but they used the caustic type, not the kind you put on your lawn.

FWIW, there are as many "potty tank" chemicals on the market as car waxes and fuel additives. Just pick one, keep plenty of water in the tank, dump and flush regularly.

I like my new trailer's built in flush system. Have yet to have odor or sensor problems and I believe that's a result of complete flushing after the dump valve is emptied as it is a result of the chemical I use. Keep the crap (literally) in the tank too long and your bound to have stink. Also have evaporation in hot weather and the tank contents can thicken as water evaporates.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:05 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriaBeck View Post
If I may be blunt, it is only pee and poop. Do you glove up before you wipe your own butt?

It is just used food. Nothing more, nothing less. Get over it, grow up.

I agree it’s only pee and poop... but I would still be cautious when traveling and wash or at least use hand sanitizers. Never know what’s lurking and possibly encounter the following:

C. diff
cholera
E coli
Dysentery
Norovirus
Hepatitis A and E
Giardia
Pinworms
Valnoa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank