Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2019, 02:36 PM   #21

Thetford blue stuff in 1/2 gallon jug, just pour some in with a couple gallons of water after dump/flush.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 02:51 PM   #22

Happy camper and geo.
primo20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:17 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by capav8r View Post
I have read about this stuff and want to start using it. Are you happy with it?
YES, we go out boon-docking and the RV doesn't move for the whole weekend and haven't had any issues with the tank clogging up. Our toilet is on the right side and the tank on the left side, so it has to go thru a pipe to get to the tank.
on the way home we also put in some dishwashing soap, so it will also clean the tank on the road.
Philkaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
My BIL inspected these plants, and nothing you can put into and get out of your RV tanks will even be noticed at a treatment plant. You would not believe the items that get through sewer systems to the plants!

There is not much that gets through initial filters that can harm those macerators. They wouldn't even notice cloth rags. And there are many filters for drugs and chemicals that are flushed by unconcerned folks.

RV tank contents are the least of treatment plant concerns.......
Apparently some things are a problem for municipal treatment plants. Our local Public Works Dept sent out a notice (with water/sewer bill) telling us to stop flushing so called "flushable" wipes, dental floss, and of course feminine hygiene products. Apparently the above items DO gum up the works.

I used to have a large boat. Rules were "Don't flush anything you haven't eaten first". Good rules for both home and RV's although I do violate the rule when it comes to TP. Sorry, not puting it in a waste can, no way, never. Last thing I want is some fly having a snack in the waste basket and then coming to my plate for dinner

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 03:59 PM   #25

I put 1 TST pouch in along with a bottle of 1 cup laundry detergent and 1 cup water softener as described in the GEO Method; https://sites.google.com/site/cbruni/
derek6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #26

What type of Chemicals do you use in Black Tank?

I have bean using one cap full of the water softener and lots of dawn and Blue Power. No odors but sticky dump valves, and the sensors become difficult to keep clean.. The screws are only finger tight, yet the valve still sticks. I will have to soak it in lubricant when the weather warms up.

Anybody ever use too much dawn and have valves stick?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 04:47 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
I agree with the Geo Method, started doing it over a year ago and have found it much easier to get the tank clean. No sensor problems. I do not use the plastic packs as I was finding the plastic did not disolve like advertised.
USN-RET/DOD-RET
mlmay12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:07 PM   #28
Retired Army MSG!

Chemicals

One of the best things night ever used was the chemical that is put in porta John's. Camped on 95 degree heat for 10 days and never a smell.
lazyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #29

[QUOTE=JohnD10;2025263]I use the TST Orange flavored toilet mints (that's what I call them).

I surely hope this is not from experience.
ard58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I have bean using one cap full of the water softener and lots of dawn and Blue Power. No odors but sticky dump valves, and the sensors become difficult to keep clean.. The screws are only finger tight, yet the valve still sticks. I will have to soak it in lubricant when the weather warms up.

Anybody ever use too much dawn and have valves stick?
Yes, we use Dawn in our tank, but, only a little bit (1/2 oz. or so) and nothing else. We also use Scott 1,000 sheet paper (not their RV stuff - just the regular). It tends to slide out of the tank and not turn into paper mache like some of the other stuff. When we used the various tank products, we always had a smell. Now, we only get a smell if we leave the fan running when we flush, since it sucks the air out of the toilet and black tank (you only forget once). No problem with valves sticking (6 seasons on this trailer) and no problems with dumping and complete cleanout. At the end of the season I flush with a wand (made it myself out of left over plumbing pieces) and let it drain completely. We have full hookups at the house so it is easy to do after the season. Nothing goes in the tank after rinsing for the season, but, a couple cups of antifreeze does go into the toilet bowl. I still have the tank stuff, but, it is now over 10 years old. We just haven't needed it.
ProfChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:19 PM   #31

The only thing we use is TankTechs RX. Its an all natural, biological odor reducer, con tains microbes etc. Buy it when we are in AZ each year. Use it in our septic as well.
TankTechsRX | Totally Green, Totally Clean!.
DrippingDuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 06:32 PM   #32

I use the Camco orange stuff.

You said you fill 1/3 with water to prep before your next trip. Do you leave that in there? Water, water, water, Make sure there is a good amount of water in there before you use it.

Second, which works really well for me, if you don't have to, don't dump as you leave the campground. The entire time that stuff has just been sitting there. Dump as you enter the next campground after you have been driving a while. Or dump close to home. The traveling sloshes that stuff around and help break it up.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 PM   #33

Going to try RV Digest-it this weekend. Anyone use that. Always used those blue pods before.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 PM   #34

We use home concoction of Liquid Pine-Sol and water (7 cups each). Then mix 1 cup of Calgon Bath Beads. Works great.
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:54 PM   #35

WOW!
I knew this would be a popular thread but this is HOT!

Keep it going but so far their isn't any consensus of one to the other product.

Dawn and Calgone seem to be the front runners now.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #36
Canadian Member

I use the Geo Method and RV Digest-It.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:52 PM   #37

I have been using Kronen for years and have been well satisfied with the results. No offensive odor and does a good job of cleaning tank.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:53 PM   #38

Cap full of Calgon and the same of Dawn. After dumping, use the tank flush to put a couple gallons of water in the tank. Haven't had an issue.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 08:55 PM   #39

We have been using Kronen for years. No Offensive odor, easy measuring bottle, cleans residue off side of tank and keeps tank sensors clean.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 09:13 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
We have been using Kronen for years. No Offensive odor, easy measuring bottle, cleans residue off side of tank and keeps tank sensors clean.
Hate to ask but how do you know it cleans side of tank?
babock is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, tank