Old 02-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Yummmmmmmmmy , Motocross camper, shouldn't you be watching SPEED right now?
as a matter of fact we are watching SPEED right now!

Before we bought the filter my dog wouldn't even drink the water up there! Needless to say we only really used it for the toilet and showers. I didn't even shower in it until we got the filter.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
You saying that about your dog is funny. It reminds me of the commercials were they feed the dog some food and it's so horrible they start licking their butt. LOL

I will get one once the RV season starts here in South Dakota. The way it looks maybe June.

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #13
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
My perspective is that many campgrounds have city water supplies and if they are on a well system, the water supply is usually inspected and certified. I suspect that it is certainly in the best interest of campground operators not to kill off their clientele. Just think of the liability! Additionally, I rather doubt that tent campers filter their water or worry about taking a shower in the bath house.

My memory is a bit foggy but it seems to me that whole house water filters in trailers only appeared about ten or fifteen years ago. My belief is that the first RV manufacturer to install them did so almost as an inexpensive (to them) sales gimmick. But, it sounded good and pretty soon all the other manufacturers were forced to do the same. However, it has never made much sense to me to filter the water that I am going to use to take a shower or flush the toilet. On the other hand, I do agree that it might be wise to filter your drinking and cooking water if you are not hooked up to a known water source.

To answer your question about “How do I get a pretty good filter for decently cheap?”
May I suggest you go to the following site as they have a lot of good information that will enable you make a good decision. http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com

“Second part of question is how to know whether your water will be good or not? Examples, will it just plain ol be unsafe , full of sand, etc? How do you go about doing this?” The simple answer is Ask. Check the campground reviews on line. Ask when you check in. Ask other campers; they will be only too glad to tell you if there is a problem.

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #14

you can get a whole house water filter made by Watts and sold at Home depot. It is very similar to the one that Forest River is supplying with most of their trailers. The price is under 50$ including 2 extra filters. Enough for a full year of uses and more'
Old 02-09-2011, 12:17 AM   #15
CampeRooo

Once I have the time and energy, I plan on removing the existing filter housing from my Roo and then adding a kitchen sink water filter and maybe one in the bathroom for the sink in there. The existing filter housing has a bowl that must have been welded onto it...4 seasons of trying to pull it off and still no success...tried every method mentioned in here so far. But since we've never used a filter in it, we haven't had any problems with water pressure in the shower or toilet, so I guess that's one good thing about it. Too bad it's full of RV antifreeze at the moment.

Decisions...decisions...

Joe

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #16

The Wife and I are full time residents in our WildwoodXL and only use the Britta filter that attaches to the faucet that has the flashing LED on it that indicates when its time to change the filter. They cost around $35 but can often be found on sale or coupons. One filter last us 3-4 months, and that ain't bad with the 3 pots of coffee and a pitcher of iced tea daily. And thats just me. I LIKES ME MY CAFFINE.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:58 AM   #17
CampeRooo

Amen to that!

Old 02-12-2011, 02:49 PM   #18

rthrbelsewhere: If you use the wrench tool that came with your trailer for your filter it is a piece of cake to remove. If you dont have it get one at home depot. At your place I would keep this filter instead of putting separate filters for the kitchen and the bathroom. Cartridges are standard for the filter provided in your roo and cost very little depending of the type you choose.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #19
CampeRooo

Hi Capucine, At first, I did not have one of those wrenches. So one day, I went down to my parts dealer and asked them about it and they had several in the garage as spares, so they gave me one to keep. I tried muscling off the housing using that wrench and I still have not had any luck with it coming off. Then I went as far as pulling out my very large set of adjustable pliers, wrapped the housing with a shop towel and went for it...nothing budged but the bracket holding the thing onto the frame. I picked up my second set of adj pliers and added them to the top of the unit to provide torque in the opposite direction so I didn't rip the bracket off entirely and it still wouldn't budge. I thought...well maybe the threads are backwards on this...so tried the opposite direction and STILL nothing. Ugh! At that point, I gave up on it. I'm just glad there isn't a filter in there.

Old 02-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #20
Site Team - Lou

This has been said before and believe me when I say how important this tip is.

REMOVE ALL PRESSURE FROM THE SYSTEM before trying to remove the filter canister. It goes from a bear to a kitten... Just like that.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote