Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #21
CampeRooo

Herk - Believe me when I say that I have assured that the pressure in the system has been removed before trying to remove the canister. This bear has ate the kitten.

I thought about applying some hot water to the tank and pumping it through...but this time of year is probably not a smart idea since we're still below freezing temps at night. I think the last owners took it in to have it winterized and they said that it sat for 3 years without being flushed out when we bought it. Unknown if the antifreeze has anything to do with sealing the canister to the housing.

2000 Rockwood Roo M-18 Hybrid
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Auto 5.9 Diesel
Gone but not forgotten -1986 Rockwood 1003 PUP
rthrbelsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #22
Site Team - Lou

That is a bit of info that is telling. Who knows what 3 years of RV anti-freeze will do! I put RV anti-freeze in my home toilets last year (in case of a power failure while we were down here in the Keys) and came home to a science experiment in the Spring! UGH!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:52 PM   #23

The "whole system filters" in trailers serve a purpose other than that of simply filtering the water for consumption.

They remove particulates (IE: dirt, sand, etc) from the water. This is probably more of a concern for those campgrounds on well as opposed to actual city water. Although "scale" and other buildup can be a concern in a feed system like a campground.

The removal of these particulates is not so much important for consumption, as for the most part they are harmless and only an irritant at best.

What you really want that filter for is to remove these particles before they reach your water pump, fixtures, water heater etc. They can damage these parts (IE: seals, rotors, clog screens, etc) over time and lead to premature replacement.

This is probably more important for a "full timer" than someone who uses their trailer a couple weekend over the summer....

2011 Flagstaff Classic Superlight 831RLBSS "Atrium slide"
Husky Centerline Hitch
2016 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew, Lariat Sport, Max Tow package
great white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:11 AM   #24

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Filter on new 8285ws

New 5 VER had the filter in lower cabinet on the Rockwood. Now I have two brand new "BLUE" hose filters that I don't need. Pretty easy access to the filter, wrench included. Already removed the clear canister to install new carbon filter, used small pan under filter to catch water. The first or two flush of the toilet produced some charcoal in the water. The filter supplied with the Rockwood produces some pretty good tasting water. Our city water has lots of chlorine, filter removed it all. Forgot to mention, my water pump even has a filter to catch small particles.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #25

Sometimes these filter bowls cartridges can stick crazy and it is a good idea to apply a little bit of vaseline on the gasket before you install it.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:39 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Made the mistake of:

Using a Home Depot charcoal filter in the camper's OEM house filter this time after "de-winterizing". After a week of dry camping, water pressure would start out great and taper off with use. Week two and we would get a burst of good pressure and then almost nothing. Frustrated, I removed the white flow restrictors from all the faucets with no improvement. At wit's end; I drained the lines; opened the filter housing and removed the charcoal filter. Wow do I have pressure and flow now!

The smaller micron range clogged up almost immediately from the sediment in the campground's well water I am thinking. Never had this issue with the cartridges I bought from the RV store.

I never had this good pressure and flow before either. I will be switching to the blue inlines in the future and putting a 1 gallon air expansion tank in the place formerly occupied by the water filter housing.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:36 AM   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
So your switching cause it did it's job?

scubieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 AM   #28

Herk: it is true that expensive charcoal filters can block easily. I dont see the point of buying these charcoal cartridges for campgrounds uses. A regular one will do the trick better. And who drinks the water from campground anyway.We only drink bottles water in campground because of the uncertain quality of the water in all campgrounds. These waters are not safe to drink and you do it, it is at your own risk and perils if you drink it!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 11:10 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

I use the blue filters from Walmart.....I just can't get flow from the the whole house inline filter system. I buy a new blue filter every year.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:26 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Scoobie, I guess you could say that. I feel "its job" is to provide me clean water at a pressure I can use. The RV filters (10 micron) were so wide that I might as well use the blue inline throw away filters for a fraction of the cost and WAY less hastle to replace.

I tried to save a few bucks with the Home Depot charcoal variant and it was a mistake. Changing the filter where it is located in my camper is hard on my back and I have to disassemble the rear wall of the basement in the fiver to get to it.
Just saying I won't be doing it again after this trip.