Old 11-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

when galley tank is full, what happens?

my galley tank always shows 33% full, even after emptying

what will happen when it's full?
will water start coming up the kitchen sink drain, or worse...?

and of course,
what are some things i can try, to clean the sensors?

thank you
marc

Old 11-10-2018, 11:47 AM   #2
Site Team

Do a search for sensors and you'll find pages of threads about sensors that lie. My galley sensors pretty much say my tank is 2/3s full even when empty unless the tank is open at home and has completely dried out. An overfull galley tank will show water in the galley (kitchen) sink. I've never seen my galley overflow exit any other place.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49 / '14 = 74 / '15 = 74 / '16 = 85 / '17 = 110 / '18 =111; booked = 0
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #3
western NC mountains!

We've seen the lowest drain, the shower, stop draining when the gray tank is full, but sometimes we've even seen the kitchen sink stop draining as well. That's usually our 'indicator' that we're full, as I don't rely on my sensors, probably haven't since the day we first started.
I always look at it this way: if there not standing water in the kitchen sink, or the shower, we 'aint full yet!

now.... the next question is certainly going to be about when the 'other' tank is full, but that's an easy one as well. If you can see standing water below the toilet outlet when you open the foot pedal, then you're close!

The Turners
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 diesel
KingTailgater2 Dish, 200w/10amps mobile SOLAR
85,000+mi, US, Alaska, Canada, western NC for now : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #4

Sensors lie; it's probably empty. The water will just start backing up the sink drains. No problem unless its unattended and overflows, or the dump site is a long way off.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

When the shower of kitchen sink starts draining slowly...it is time to dump the gray tank!

Just because someone has been "doing it for years with no problems" doesn't mean YOU should!
JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:38 PM   #6

On our Flagstaff 27RLWS, when the grey water tank is full, it backs up in the shower. Our sensors read 2/3 full all the time, so, I have found out about how many days go by before we are full. That's when we empty.
beechjet16mf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #7

You can use the GEO method for the Grey Tank. Fill and dump your grey tank a few times with water. add a cup of Calgon water softener and a cup of the cheapest liquid laundry detergent, and about 5 gallons of water. (If you do this before the trip home or on the way to the CG, it should jostle around and clean the tank while in transit.) Use your tank as you normally would and your sensors should clean themselves of the grease build-up and start working like new.

Good Camping! Swampy

2014 287 BHBE; 1981 JayRaven: Predator 3500i - Call Home Pearl River, Louisiana. on The Honey Island Swamp
https://www.forestriverforums.com/at...pic81807_1.gif
Swampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:50 PM   #8

It's funny, I have had our Rockwood 8282 for nearly three years and I don't think I've looked at my tank gauges more than three or four times. They have never been accurate in any of my three trailers. I can empty the tank and check the gauges right away and they'll say I am still 3/4 full. I think the manufacturers add them to impress you with all lights and the technology, but they have the accuracy of a Quija board.

I'll have to try the Calgon and soap thing.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 Laramie HD Dually Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #9
Charlie & Sue

when galley tank is full, what happens?

The more content the greater stress on the supports for the tank and the potential to separate the tank from the fill pipe to that tank. They are not cemented apparently. In our CC, we had an odor that the dealer determined was caused by just that. After putting things back together un-cemented the odor disappeared. This 40-year RV veteran and senior RV tech suggested that when hooked to sewer service always leave the grey tank(s) (we have two) open. That is okay as we have an internal flush on the black tank that keeps the sewer drain pipe clean. I have also talked to other RV'ers who have had many years of experience suggesting the same thing. If you do not have a black flush system merely close the grey valve(s) a day or so before emptying the black tank and all is okay.

We no longer have a problem with the gauge readings on any of the tanks and will continue this practice. Downside is a CG without sewer service at the site or boon-docking.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Lloydg Send a message via MSN to Lloydg Send a message via Yahoo to Lloydg
The best tank sensor is my wife when she yells at me that the sink is backing up. That's when it time for me to jump into action and dump the tank!!

Heartland Big Country 3150RL
2013 Ford SD F250 4x4 SC; 6.2
Reese 18K Elite w/slider - Ada, Michigan
Lloydg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank