Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 6,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob caldwell View Post
What would you do if tv breaks a radiator hose next to the clamp? If you can cut the end of hose off and re-install, what'll you do for coolant? Some people carry bottled water, but I prefer 'free' water........always travel with some water in tank.

Bob !! I see YOUR point--but OP not worried about break downs!! Read his profile. He has a Ford !!

Russell
__________________

__________________
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:04 PM   #12
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you always have water hookups and you don't plan to use water during travel, you do not need to add water to fresh water tank. When I do not have hookups, I wait to fill tank until arriving at campground and drain before I leave so as to not have the weight during towing. I do not recommend leaving water in tank for extended periods of time. People will disagree with me, but to see for yourself, put about some water from your FWT in a container and sit on a counter in your RV after a few weeks or months, open container and decide for yourself if you want to use it.
X 2 Later RJD
__________________

__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:06 PM   #13
Georgia Frog Rally 2018
 
aceinspp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: GA
Posts: 10,671
Yep a Ford Found on road dead Later RJD
__________________
2015 35 FT V-Lite 30WRLIKS Diamond Package
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 04:59 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Tom48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Ontario, California
Posts: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave961 View Post
I sanitize often and always have some in while traveling to flush & wash. I've also seen on other posts where people fill/drain the tank to change the weight distribution. Probably not as important on a 5er.
We sanitize annually and never ever travel with the trailer empty, so we have water for just in case. Most of the time we dry camp and carry 100 gallons on board. I usually dump the water that's left down pretty low for travel home but still carry 20 or 30 gallons. At home after the trailers cleaned up I dumped it out on the ground then in preparation for the next outing I resell it. I don't put a filter on with city water at home because I know the water's good and it does have some chlorine which avoids anything growing in my tanks. I only fill up with a filter when I'm not sure about the quality and taste of the water, and then I dumped that water because I know my filter takes most of the chlorine out. When we get home I feel things back up with freshly chlorinated city water, again, to keep the system clean
__________________
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 561
Living in Canada, the FWT is empty when I winterize. In the spring I will sanitize the tank (and plumbing lines) with a bleach/water solution. On prep for leaving to a CG, I will carry about 10 gallons for the emergency situations, on arrival will fill up the tank or be running on the city line. When we go to our Provincial Parks, which only supply hydro, after breaky top up the FWT and empty the others with blue boy. I have never had an issue with stale water, moulds etc, constant flow through the system. My DW has a high tech water filter on the home line so we take 10 gallons of filtered water with us for drinking. I always time the emptiness of the FWT with our departure date, I don't like to just drain the tank for travelling.

Kevin
__________________
2009 F150 XLT crewcab 5.4L and 3.73
2010 Flagstaff 27 BHSS
tenttotrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
DKRITTER's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Haslet Texas
Posts: 573
First off we don't consume the water that goes in the trailer. We use some form of bottled water to cook and drink.

With that said we always have 5-10 gallons of water with us minimum for washing, or using the restroom and such. We stopped one night at a RV Park in northern NM, there was a thunderstorm the park lost all power and it's water well. It sure was convenient to have some water to get us by.

Plus when we stop on the road we always use the 5th wheel bath room rather than the public one.

We sanitize the fresh tank every spring just because.
__________________
DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 10:45 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
I've started carrying about 5 gallons to use for unplanned needs - i.e. toilet flushes, washing, etc. If you carry a full load of water, be sure to check and see how that affects your tongue weight, axle loading, etc.
FR normally puts a sticker in side of a kitchen cabinet giving the GVWR with a full FW tank and full propane tanks. I don't see the need to carry any more water than 5 gallons though. Most cg have fresh water near entrance to fill your tank if your site doesn't have water.

I have a Brita water filter to filter water for drinking water at the cg. That way I don't need to use my bottle water, save it for when I go out. One Brita filter will last me all season. I use that water for drinking and my coffee. Makes great coffee!

Also have a filter on my fw system but I don't know how good it really is.

Jim
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Evansville, Indiana
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
FR normally puts a sticker in side of a kitchen cabinet giving the GVWR with a full FW tank and full propane tanks.

Jim
That's true about the GVWR sticker - however - it doesn't reflect the actual weight of the trailer with clothes, food, and all of the other stuff that we (especially the DW) manage to stuff in there!
__________________
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
That's true about the GVWR sticker - however - it doesn't reflect the actual weight of the trailer with clothes, food, and all of the other stuff that we (especially the DW) manage to stuff in there!
LOL! I am sure. My downfall is camera gear. Extra lenses, tripods and such. It adds up quick.

The reason I mentioned the sticker is many have no idea how big there fw tank is. My tank is 42 gallons so I know with the 5 gallons or so I travel with gives me an extra (42 - 5 = 37) 37 * 8.3 = 307 pounds I can use if needed. If not needed that is great. I normally don't sense it is just me and my dog so I know that is 307 pounds I am not towing. If nothing else I am sure it improves my gas mileage not towing that much extra weight.

I am sure many members don't realize how much weight they can free up just by not filling their fw tank.

Jim
__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:34 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by kluza2786 View Post
That's true about the GVWR sticker - however - it doesn't reflect the actual weight of the trailer with clothes, food, and all of the other stuff that we (especially the DW) manage to stuff in there!
I have a lot of storage cabinets I don't use. If I were to fill all of them I could easily be a ton over weight! I have 5 overheads in the slide I never use except for my laptop. Half of the ones in the bedroom unused also.

It would be sooooo easy to become over weight!

Jim
__________________

__________________
07 Dodge 1500 crew cab with 20" wheels, 08 Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite 8280SS
"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
George Bernard Shaw
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.